Chapter 21 “Death”
1.1k 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{POV Faye}

 

   We have been going down the trail a good amount of time now. We should almost be at the Village. Yuna's breathing is getting more and more shallow. I've tried to speak to her, but she has stopped responding in any way. When we get there what am I even going to do? No one is going to give me or her a health potion. I feel so helpless. We got away only to die. I don't want to give up, but what am I supposed to do? I'm starting to feel dizzy. I won't be able to stay on the Horse much longer.

__

If we are going to die then I don't want it to be right outside the villages walls. I don't want them to have our bodies.

"Stop" I tell the horse. "Were not going to make it any further. Just let us down please." The horse comes to a stop and looks back at me. 'Or is it looking at Yuna?' It doesn't matter.

"Whoa!" I exclaim as the horse almost throws Yuna and me off as it lays down.

"Thank you." I tell the horse. I pick Yuna up with me and slide off its side. I start walking off the trail and deeper into the trees. I'll bring her to where we belong. We will die in the forest away from those that would disturb us. Knowing at least a little peace in our deaths.

__ 

I can barely hear her breathing anymore and i'm starting to stumble and my vision is becoming hazy. I've lost too much blood. I can hear the horse following behind me. I want to scare it off for leaving such an obvious trail to follow, but I don't have the energy.

__

I can't go on. I sit down with her in my lap and lean against a nearby tree. I reach my hand out and rub one of her ears. She doesn't react.

"I'm so sorry Yuna. I tried." I can barely see her through my tears. Her eyes are shut and I can't sense her breathing anymore. "Its better to die with me then live with Kira, at least I think so.." From what I saw happen to Naomi, I do believe this to be a better fate. I comb the hair away from her face smearing a little of my blood on it. She really was such a little cutie pie. "I do wish we both could have lived though.. or at least just you, far away from here."

I slump to the side as I get more and more dizzy, but I still hold her to me. 

I hope you get free brother. One of us should. I shut my eyes for the last time..

___

There is a glowing light. I can see it through my eyelids. I also feel a warmth in my hands along with movement. 'What? Is someone trying to take her from me?'

I manage to pry open my eyes and... Yuna is glowing in a golden light. She has turned back into a Fox. 'Did she die? Why would she Transform though? Was she truly only ever a fox?' When Demi-human's die they turn back into there true forms..

"Huh?" My voice sounds weak to my ears. I'm going to die soon, but I can feel Yuna breathing again. As i'm looking, her eyes open and she looks right at me. 'She's alive!'

Her eyes have changed. They are no longer Silver with Gold flecks. They are Golden now and they have Silver flecks. They.. Switched. They are the last thing I will ever see..

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

{POV Yuna}

 

"Where am I?" I say out loud.

'Oh yeah, I know this place.' This abyss. There was a desk with a laptop here last time. 'Did I fall asleep again? Oh yeah! I remember!' I was watching Faye fight John. I tried to get up several times to help, but with my broken leg and ribs I just kept falling. 'God that hurt.' I have had broken ribs before, but nothing like that. But she eventually won! Then he stabbed her the fucker. Going on about he can't help it. Just sounded like dogshit excuses to me. Then she picked me up and started running... that's..

Thats all I can remember... [Ding] 'Is the Laptop back?' I turn around and look. 

"What the Hell!" The desk is huge! There is a chair this time. I head over to it. Well, at least I can climb up onto the chair. From there I use the edge of the desk to stand up on the chair and look at the laptop.

"Wait.." My voice comes out as the child me.. The last time I was here I was in my old 'man' body. I guess that's why the desk is so big. What a strange dream. 'I wonder what Freud would say?' Anyway..

The screen says the same thing as last time. [ERROR] I hit enter, the same as last time. 

[System Runtime Error] [Ding]

The message changed on its own without me pressing anything.

[System Has Started Automatic Shutdown] 'Okay... Does this shit have anything to do with my actually system?' There are a lot of Errors being brought up... 

The laptop then shuts off. Suddenly there is a bright light behind me blinding me even though i'm not even facing it. 

"What the Fuck?" I slowly adjust my eyes and look behind me. There is an opening... a.. doorway that has appeared in the abyss. Its the source of the blinding light, its pouring out of it.

I get off the chair and head over to it. As I get closer to it I can see what is beyond. Its a sight I know. Its the desert. The desert I died in. I'm now standing right before the threshold and I can actually feel the heat. 'I can "feel" it? But..'

I pinch myself and I feel the Pain. Looking at my hands i'm once again in my old body. 

"This isn't a dream?" I ask no one. "What is going on?" [Ding] 'huh?'

I look back and the laptop screen has brightened.. I walk back over to it.

[System Recovery Successful] [Ding]

[Do You Wish To Reestablish Connection Between The Host And The System? Y/N]

"What is this..?" [Ding]

[A Control Interface]  '!?!'

"Can this thing hear me?" [Ding]

[Yes] 

"Holy Shit" I yell out.[Ding]

[No] 'Very funny'

"Can you tell me what's happening? Or happened?" I ask.. it?

[System Had A Runtime Error Which Forced The System To Shutdown. System Had To Recover To When It Was First Put Into Operation] 'Okay..'

"What caused the runtime error?" 

[The System Was Already On The Verge Of System Failure When The Runtime Error Occurred. This Was Due To The Improper Origin Of The Host. The Runtime Error Occurred With The Hosts Removal From The System. Now That The Host Is Absent, The System Has Come Up With A Solution To The Hosts Improper Origin]  'Removal? If i'm following along correctly...'

 "Am I the Host?" 'What does this mean for Faye?' She was dying..

[Yes] ...

"Why was the host removed?" I can already hazard a guess.

[The Program Supporting The Host's Core Functions Shutdown. The System Believed This Was Due To An Error, So It Removed The Host From The System] 'Core functions huh?' I remember the pain, the blood. I must have died, but the "System" interpreted it as another one of the Errors. 'I guess that is lucky.'

"What is the doorway over there about?" I ask

[Its A Passageway Connecting To The Hosts Origin]  'Well I figured that much out already.'

"Are you saying I can go back there?"

[The Passageway Is Open] 

'I can go right back to my old world just to die in that desert again?'

"What is this place?"

[Error. You Do Not Have The Required Authorization To Access This Information]  Rrrright..

"Can I go back to... Well wherever I was with Faye? That place with 3 I mean 4 moons?" I ask 

[Affirmative. If You Select "Y" Then The System Will Reconnect Host To The System]

"How much time will have passed by?"

[Time Does Not Exist Here] 'That.. doesn't really answer my question at all.'

"And If I go back to my 'Origin'?"

[Error. System Does Not Have Any Information Regarding Hosts Origin]

"Why or how did I even get here?"

[Error. System Does Not Have Any Information Regarding Hosts Origin]

"Right. I guess you already kind of answered that..." I start to rub my temples in frustration. I have a feeling if I go back that maybe I would get what I was looking for the first time I died. Nothingness. But maybe i'm just being too Hopeful. It could just as well be straight up Hell waiting for me there.

"If I die again in that other place will I come back here?" I ask

[Cannot Confirm Nor Deny Your Inquiry]  sigh..

"Can you give me the Ability to heal when you send me back?" I venture. If I can save Faye..

[Computing Request...…..Analyzing...……New Class Successfully Acquired] 

"Really?!?"

[Affirmative. The Ability For Self Regeneration Has Been Added. You Need To Meet Certain Requirements For It To Take Effect] 'Requirements? Wait! "Self" regeneration? I need a way to heal Faye!'

"No, I mean the Ability to heal others. Not myself." I reiterate.

[Computing Request...………………..Analyzing...………………...Applying Changes...………..Testing...…….. Spell Acquired. Race Change Needed. No More Requests May Be Made] 'What!? Come on! Having both a Healing spell and Self Regeneration just seems dumb. What am I a Paladin now? And Race Change? What will I be? Will Faye even recognize me?'

"Can't you just take away the Self Regeneration ability?" I would really rather ask for something cool. 

[Negative. Doing So Would Cause An System Error That Would lead to Another Runtime Error. Ending In Another System Recovery] 

"Can't you we just do that now? Do a System recovery?" I ask

[You Don't Not Have The Proper Authorization To Initialize A System Recovery] (SIGH) a heavy sigh this time. 

"Okay, fine then. Will I be able to look at my status again? And what will my level be? Will I be Level 1 again?"

[All Past Errors Have Been Fixed. All Of The Hosts Data Has Been Retained...{Error} Correction, Skills And Spells Not A Part Of Hosts Original Vessel Have Been Lost]

Alright. I need to take a step back for a moment. I've gotten to  caught up in the whole "Game" like stuff happening. But I don't think we are talking about a game anymore, or are we? 'Idk, fucking hell. I'm talking to a damn computer screen for Christ's sake.' 

But what if it is real. Would I really leave Faye to die or at the very least fend for herself after everything she did?

Do I really want to go back there and get tortured by that psycho woman. Idk... Will I risk that for her? Would I not risk that for her?

I mean I was already willing to when it came to it with John. I was completely willing to throw away my life so she could get away. I didn't even need to think about it. I knew John wouldn't kill me, instead that he would just take me back to her, but I did it.

__

At some point without noticing it I have wandered back to the threshold of the door. I can feel that searing heat emanating from it. I have already died twice now. The first time because I lost what no one ever should. The second time because I found something I never had. Is there really even a choice anymore?

I run back to the laptop. The closer I get the bigger the desk gets. Either its growing or i'm shrinking. I climb back onto the chair.

"System Reconnect me!" I yell at the screen.

[Do You Wish To Reestablish Connection Between The Host And The System? Please Confirm Y/N] 

I smash the Y Key as hard as I can while yelling "Yes!!"

[Confirmed. Attempting To Connect To Host...………….Connection Acquired. Executing Integration.....]  

A loud buzzing noise assaults me. Then a flash of light. I can't see anything. I feel weightless.

I know that this won't be easy. Its a strange World and i'm a damaged person, to put it lightly. I have a defeatist shitty attitude, but as long as I have someone or something to keep living for... to fight for... I'll try.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I feel the weight of my body settle. I try to open my eyes and there she is, Faye. Only she has grown. She looks much older now. She looks terrible though. Her face is deathly pale and she seems to barely be able to focus on me.

"Beautiful.." She whispers then her eyes close. I smell a dreadful amount of blood. I look down and me and her are covered in it. Its all her blood. 'NoNoNoNoNo.. I'm not to late! I refuse!' The computer said I would have a skill that would allow me to heal her. {Status}

 

Name: Yuna* Strength 5   Racial Skills: Fox-Kin Transformation    Skills: Inventory    
Age: Unknown Endurance 10     Enhanced Day/Night Vision           
Race: Kitsune*  Dexterity 16     Enhanced Hearing          
Level: 12 Intelligence 6     Enhanced Smelling          
Class: Berserker Wisdom 8     Spirit Attunement*          
Health: 100 Charisma 8                
Mana: 80 Perception 10         Spells:      
SMana: 50 Willpower 5   Natural weapons: Claws 1        
  Spirit* 11     Fangs 1        
        Racial Spells: Heal* 1        
          Spirit Form* 1        
                     

"Holy shit..." No! Focus. Heal. How do I cast this Heal spell? As I think this my paws? start to glow in a white luminous light. 'I'm a Fox again. I forgot I could do that. How could I forget I could do that?' 

Faye was stabbed in her stomach. I push her onto back.  Her shirt is too small for her now so I can see the gapping wound. I put my paws over it. My paws feel all tingly. I feel something draining out of me at a steady pace. The wound is closing though. 'What about her blood? Will it replace her blood?' I look at her, but she looks very pale still. She is barely breathing. "You are going to live god damnit!"

____

I'm starting to feel woozy and the light on my hands is fading. Her wound has already closed, but i'm not going to stop.

_

I'm starting to get a head splitting Headache. The light fades completely and I collapse. It hurts to even have my eyes open.

"Ahhhhh.. Fuck" I growl. I can only lay here for right now. I've never had a Migraine before, but if this isn't one then I don't want to. Fuck. Shit. Motherfucker.

Faye better be alright. I swear to god I will smash that laptop. No I won't. Its not its fault. It just gave me what I asked for. Damn Self regeneration. I should have got a Resurrection/Revive spell instead, but no I had-

"Yuna?" I hear a hoarse whisper from Faye. 'Thank you god or gods or whomever!!'

"Yes! Its me!" I open my eyes painfully and look at her. She is looking over at me trying to focus her eyes. And I just barked at her.

I crawl over to her face and lick her cheek. She smiled then closed her eyes again. 'Fuck yes!'

Right. Okay, now that she is fine for now the next problem in keeping her alive is getting her away from here. I hear a snort behind me. I jump 20 feet in the air or at least it feels like it. I look towards the noise and see one of the horse things there. I look around for its owner. I don't see anyone...

I sniff the air. I can smell the Horse, Faye and Faye's Blood. Which is covering everything.. Including the horse. She must have ridden it here. This may work, but I know fuck all about horses. They like sugar cubes and apples and eat hay. That's all I got. Doing my heritage proud. Well, former heritage. Now i'm a chicken killer.

Oh! There was also that movie horse whisperer or whatever, but.. I never saw it. I guess maybe I should talk to it? or whisper?

"Hey." I bark. Right. I need to be a Fox-ki- "Ahhh" I let out a preemptive yell realizing what I have done. Only.. the pain doesn't come. Instead my whole body gets all itchy and hot. I slowly start to turn back into a Fox-Kin. I Prefer this method by far. I look around and see my shirt is still intact. I reach out to it and discover something disturbing. I have little boobs now... 'This isn't good.' I don't have time for this nonsense. I put the shirt on and discover i'm much taller then before. 'I do like being taller though.' The shirt doesn't cut it anymore. My ass is totally hanging out.

"Hey horse. Any chance you can carry us away from here?" I ask the.. Horse. 'Where were we going? The town!'

"To the town?" I add. We need stuff. The horse that has just been staring at me up till now neighs then lays down..  is that a yes or a no?

PS: I hate doing the Status Tables. My apologies to those that like looking at them, but it is way too much of a pain in the ass. I will only do them when necessary

24