Chapter 28 “Berserk”
1.2k 18 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[POV Yuna]

 

  The first thing I heard was screaming. I jerked up and saw two men. One was laying down on the ground desperately trying to halt the blood spraying out from around the arrow in his chest. The other man was on top of Faye with a knife pressed against her throat, but it didn't stop her from struggling causing the knife to cut her in several places. Her dress was torn exposing her torso and some of her wrap was undone. The man is working on getting his pants down while forcing her legs apart with his. I don't have any idea how I didn't wake up sooner, but now that I am, I don't hesitate for even a second.

I spring out of the bed like it was on fire, right at the man assaulting Faye. I land on his back and latch on, wrapping my legs around him, trapping the arm that was trying to pull down his pants. My left hand reaches around to his throat digging its sharp nails into it, catching on his Adams apple. I bring the finger tips of my right hand together then spear it up into his right arm pit trying to sever his Axillary artery. This is all happens in a matter of seconds. 

Blood spurts out of the mans arm and as he screams in pain. I rip my right hand out from inside his arm pit and wrap it around his throat and yank backwards and to the side as hard I can, using all of my body to do so. I move him slightly, but then I feel a pain my leg. I unhook my legs from around him freeing his arm. I move my feet behind his knees and dig my toes through the leather into his flesh and start kicking away trying to tear his flesh. He pushes off of Faye and lands on top of me. I let go of his throat with my left hand and reach up and grab a fistful of his hair and yank his head back. I can see an arrow sticking out of one of his eyes that wasn't there before. I ignore it. I straighten the fingers of my right hand and I use it to stab into the side of his neck as hard as I can, burying them to my 1st knuckles. The man gurgles and roles to the side with me. I wrap my legs back around him and hook them together. He lashes out with his knife and slices into my right forearm. I curl my fingers and rip my hand back out of his throat. Faye Is leaning over us holding his knife hand and is stopping it from stabbing me anymore. His left hand that was crushing mine lets go and joins the struggle for the knife with Faye. I start wildly clawing at his face with both my hands. He has to be blind now.

"This. Fucker. Just. Won't. Die!!" Granted a part of me knows that its only been a moment and it takes a couple of minutes to bleed out from a artery. But I've had to cut or nick at least two at this point. 

The man continues his death throes for a minute (or eternity) more before becoming still. I wiggle out from underneath him to go to the other man. He is still alive clutching the arrow in his chest. I get up, but before I get over to him one arrow after another pierce him. The first in his neck the second went into his eye right through the back of his skull, pinning him there. 

"Stop!" Faye yells out. "Don't forget that you could go Berserk." 

"I wasn't going to just watch him rape you!" I yell back. 'Did she really expect me to?' She smiles and shakes her head.

"I didn't mean that you should have. Just that you didn't need to attack this guy." She said indicating the one she just shot. 'Oh'

"Okay, okay. Are you okay?" I run up to her with my hands already glowing, casting Heal. 

"Just some cuts and bruises. You saw everything he did other then shoving me down." So I didn't sleep through that much at least.

"What's even going on? Who are these people?" I ask her while passing my hands over the cuts on her neck and chest. She just sits and lets me Heal her. She doesn't seem very upset despite almost being raped. Maybe it just hasn't caught up with her yet. Now that things have calmed down in here, I can hear yelling and the clashing of metal outside. 'I just killed a man didn't I? No, I can't think about that.'

"I heard Ivaldri yell out "Bandits!!". I had just grabbed my bow when the door burst open and that guy charged at me." Faye explains. "I drew an arrow and shot him, but another one was right behind him, he shoved me down.. and you saw the rest." She then hugged me. "Thank you, Yuna" 

"Don't you ever thank me for saving you." I tell her, rubbing her back. "Lets go. We need to see what's happening outside." I get up and walk to the still open door. 

Right outside of it is Mute. His right arm is missing from the elbow down. He's about to charge into the wagon. He stops when he sees us then nods his head and turns around. 'I think he was about to come in and help.' I look around and we are surrounded by men of all shapes, ages and race. Ivaldri, Amicia and Legolas are here. Legolas is missing most of her clothing. Including her helm. I can now see her pointed ears. 'She is an Elf too. I'd bet the other guards are aswell. Where did her clothing go?' Don't tell me.. 'Where is Casper?'

"You two alright?" Ivaldri says when we exit the wagon. "Well, for the moment at least." He then muttered. There are at least a hundred men surrounding us. "Those damn "Adventure's". If they even were. Either they were running away from these pricks or they were scouting for them!"

"What do we do?" I ask. He glances over at me.

"We fight until we win or we die. What else?" He matter-of-factly responded. 'This isn't good.'

"Or." Rings out a rough voice from the crowd of men. "You could hand back that sweet ass elf you took from us." This suggestion was followed by laughing and cry's of approval. I can see Legolas shiver. 'These Mother Fuckers.' Their encroachment starts to tighten around us.

"I think they should hand over all their women, especially that Beast-kin with the big tits!!" Another voice yells out followed by whistling and cheers. All other sounds start to be drowned out. Replaced by my heart beat. I have a bad feeling that I know what's about to happen.

"Faye! Get into the wagon!" I know i'm yelling, but I can't even hear my own voice anymore. (THUMP-thump) (THUMP-thump). Faye looks at me, but draws her bow instead of retreating. "Goddammit Faye!!!" I turn to Ivaldri and Amicia.

"All of you get into the wagon and close the door now!!" I yell at them, They glance at each other and say something, but don't move.

I'm starting to hear something that is not my heartbeat. It's music. A song I know. I'm definitely losing it. It's Muses, Knights of Cydonia. Its just as the song starts to pick up half-way through.

"Hurry!! Go!!" My vision is starting to turn red. I thought from the description, it would happen suddenly. At least I have some kind of warning. But if the idiots around me don't even listen to my warning, its pointless. I have to get further away from Faye. I start running towards the line of people furthest from her. Out of the corner of my eye I see Amicia grab Ivaldri's arm. Right before I hit the wall of flesh my vision turns completely red.

"No one's gonna take me alive~" https://youtu.be/fTABNAiuRus?t=174

 


 

[POV Faye]

 

  Its happening. She's going berserk. What that last man yelled about me must have been the final push. She's yelling at everyone to hold up in the wagon, but they don't understand what her intentions are. And I told her I wasn't leaving. If we live, i'll have to punish her.

"You need to get away from her!" I yell out. They are our way of removing the Slave Seals. I can't let them die. "She is going to lose control and attack everyone near her. Come over here by me!!" Everyone, but Amicia still hesitates. She is the smartest one after all. One armed man is already next to me.

I take aim as Yuna charges forward using the last of her control to get away from everyone. I didn't know this at the time. I thought she had already lost control.

I put an arrow into the first man that gets near her. I can hear her start to sing?.. Then Yuna lunges forward and her arm pierces his chest going right through his leather breastplate. What happens next I can only watch. She turns into a whirlwind that leaves spurting blood in her wake.

By the time Amicia, Ivaldri and the women run the 25 feet to me, Yuna has already killed six people. She is tearing, clawing and biting her way trough them. Limbs are flying and she is covered in blood. She has a knife sticking out of her back and an arrow in her leg. They are starting to surround her. I want to be fighting beside her, but I know I can't. I fire a few more arrows into the circle of men attacking her.

I can't keep helping her. The rest of the bandits don't care about Yuna and are coming for us. We fight them off for a moment, but we are pushed into the wagon, just like Yuna wanted.

Ivaldri is holding the door as Me and the other elf women that Yuna calls Legolas fire off arrows past him when we get a chance. The one armed guy is standing to the side of the doorway ready to attack whoever passes through the opening. Amicia is sitting on the floor meditating. It seems she already used all of her Mana outside. A few arrows fly into the wagon. Ivaldri gets hit by three of them. Two in his left arm and another in the gut. I get hit in my hip by one. I break the shaft off and keep firing. Ivaldri does the same.

I'm can't stop thinking about Yuna. She's out there all alone. What if she collapses? What if she gets too injured? She already had two wounds so fast.

The bodies are starting to block the doorway. Plugging it up. They start to clear them to get through, but me and Legolas take pot shots at them every time they try. We're starting to hear screams of pain come from outside. I look around. It's safe enough for now. I have to see what's happening.

"I'm going outside" I announce headed towards the ladder to the roof. Amicia grabs my hand stopping me.

"If you do, you will just be riddled with arrows." I look down at her.

"I have to see if Yuna is okay." I said pulling my hand back and grabbing hold of the ladder.

"Do you think she will be okay if you are dead?!" Amicia screams at me. 

"Bu-" I'm cut off by Ivaldri's Scream. I whip around and a giant man has forced his way through the bodies. He has just struck Ivaldri, who is cradling his arm. He has a shield blocking the arrows that Legolas fires at him. When he passes the doorway Mute, I think Yuna calls him, slashes at his back catching him off guard. The man whips around to retaliate, but leaves himself open to Ivaldri, who  recovers and buries his axe in his head. Ivaldri loses his grip on the axe and it falls with the man. I can see he is missing a few fingers on his right hand. With the doorway now open, a few more arrows fly through it. Two hitting Ivaldri and three Legolas. Two in her stomach and one skipped off her collar bone. Amicia runs over to Ivaldri and pulls him out of the doorway and I grab Legolas, pulling her aside and sitting her down. 

"Give her this!" Amicia yells out to me throwing me a health potion. I barely catch it. I open it and feed it into her mouth then I pull out the arrows. She won't heal while they are lodged in her. I finish and get up ignoring her whimpering and watch the doorway. Arrows start to fly in that have been lit on fire. I scramble along with Amicia to put them out. 

_

The screams sound like they are right outside now. I can only hope the screaming means Yuna is still okay and is fighting.

_

I run out of Mana from casting Clean to try and douse the fires. The fire arrows have stopped so were still okay, even if there's smoke in here now.

I set an arrow and get ready to fire upon whoever walks in. Mute is looking a little unsteady, but he is better off then the other two and still standing. All of the sudden several people charge into the opening trying to push in. I draw and fire as Mute swings his sword vertically slashing an arm. They yell out.

"No!! Let us I-!!" The mans shout is cut off by the two arms springing out off his chest. His face a mask of pain. He collapses into the wagon dragging the owner of the arms in with him along with two others that were trying to get in too.

"Gods.." It's Yuna. There is a broken spear sticking out of her back and countless arrows peppering her body. There is a dagger sticking out of her neck and one arrow is lodged in her cheek. A large wound across her chest is exposing several of her ribs and a open gash on her left thigh has left the flesh hanging down. Her once pink dress is now nothing but scraps of fabric and is dyed blood red. 'Please no! she said her Regeneration ability would heal wounds like that!!'

She starts to blur in my vision. I thought she was starting to turn into a fox, but after a moment when nothing happened, I figured it out. I wipe at my eyes, restoring my eyesight.

Yuna tiredly removes her arms from the corpse and looks around. Her eyes are glowing Crimson. Its slowly fading as I look into them.

"Yuna?" I call out. She doesn't seem to hear me and looks at the two men next to her. She grabs onto the closest ones leg. They both scream and run back out of the wagon. The one Yuna has grabbed is dragging her with him as he runs in a panic. I hurry to the door.

I can only see a few bandits running away. I turn around.

"Give me all the health potions you can!" I yell at Amicia. She hesitates, but then hands me two.

"We only have three left, and Novas needs one." she tells me.

"Fine!"

I snatch them and run outside. The two men have stopped running and they along with six others are standing looking at Yuna's unmoving body. One of them is bleeding profusely from wounds on his leg. One raises an axe and jumps towards Yuna. I drop the potions into my quiver. I draw and fire an arrow right into his chest. Someone brushes past me and I see it's Mute. He looks better now. I draw and fire into the others as they decide to push forward now that Yuna is down. Mute arrives and starts to engage.

I'm down to my last two arrows. Mute is starting to get overwhelmed as he stands over Yuna. Protecting her. 

I fire an arrow at a man that is about to stab Mute in the back hitting him in the shoulder.

I draw and aim my last arrow. I shoot it at a man with a spear, it catches the meat of his neck before flying off. I'm out. I drop my bow and pick up a mace laying on the ground and run into the fight.

I engage with the man behind Mute that tried to impale him. His back is to me so I swing the mace at the back of his head, but he ducks and turns shoving me with his shoulder, throwing me back and onto the ground. I see a glint in his eyes when he looks at me.

"Well look at what we have here." He said approaching me. I swing the mace out wildly, aiming to hit his leg, but he just lifts it casually and it swings harmlessly underneath. I lose my grip on the mace and it flies out of my hand. He stomps his foot down onto my extended arm. 

"No!!" I won't give up!

The ground starts to shake under me and vines spring out of the ground entangling the man. 'Yes Amicia!' He yells out in shock as he's immobilized. I get up and fight the sword out of his hand and swing it at his neck. 

"No don't!" The man pleads.

"AHHH!" It only goes in half-way, but its good enough. I let go of it and grab a dagger at his waist and pull it free. Then start to run back into the fight. This is when I notice that the remaining men are wrapped up in vines. Its over. Mute is still standing over Yuna and has acquired a few more wounds, but otherwise he's okay. I run to Yuna, dropping the dagger. 

'I can't panic. Don't panic!!' I kneel beside her and with shaking hands I upend my quiver to get the Potions out.

"Thank the Gods they didn't break." I pry open the first potion and pour it into her mouth not even checking if she is breathing. She has to be breathing. Once the potion is empty I remove the knife in her neck slowly, then the spear and so on. Starting with the most life threatening ones first. I have to make sure that the wounds don't have any pieces of her dress in them. That's what John said at least. 

__

While I was removing an arrow, I could see that the potion had worn off because blood started flowing from the wound freely. I make her drink the second potion and continue. The wound on her chest has almost closed and the flesh of her leg no longer needs to be held together.

__

The second one wears off, but she still has arrows in her... While i'm thinking about what to do Amicia and Legolas come up to me.

"Let us help Faye." Amicia says. I look around the sun has risen. I still cant see the other guard anywhere. "The bandits have all run off with our horses. They killed the oxen. Both Thora and I know Regeneration, Yuna only has a few more arrows in her. We can help." Amicia says. I look deep into her eyes. 'What other option do I have?'

"Alright." I look back down and continue to remove the arrows and either Amicia or Thora place their hands over the wound. Its a lot slower then the potions, but it's better then nothing. Yuna hasn't made a sound, but I know she's alive or her wounds wouldn't be closing.

"A lot of these are going to leave a scar." Amicia comments.

"Yeah.." I wonder though. Maybe her Heal can remove them. I don't have a scar from where John stabbed me.

"And... done" Amicia lets out breathily. "So, I would really like to know how she is still alive, but you aren't going to tell me are you?" She said addressing me. I don't know what the harm would be if I told her the truth, but that's the very reason i'm not going to.

"Just be thankful were alive and there isn't some troll in-between our legs." I tell her standing up with Yuna in my arms.

"You say that like you've experienced it before."Amicia says suspicion lacing her voice. "Also call them what they are. Men. These were men not trolls or anything else."

"I was a slave for thirteen years. What do you think?" I answer. "I'm putting her on the bed for now." I tell her ignoring the rest of what she said. I know what they are. I hear Amicia sigh behind me. "Thank you. For saving her. All of you." I say looking at Mute and nodding towards him and head into the wagon. The smoke has cleared out. I put her down on the bed then come back outside. I start going over the bodies, looking for anything of value. Amicia and Ivaldri are questioning the bandits that were tied up with her vines.

There are about fifty-two bodies out here, not including the ones by the door or the ones at the end of the fight. Its easy to tell which ones Yuna killed. There are thirty-nine. She killed thirty-nine of them before she collapsed. Plus the two in the wagon. She was only level twelve. She won't be any longer, thats for sure. I also found the missing guard. He was a distance away with several other bodies around him. There is also torn clothing scattered around. One of the bodies is missing pants and his head.

"He saved me. Him and Novas." Thora says from beside me. "They grabbed me right at the beginning, before we were alerted and took me over here and s-started... raping me." She said in a dead tone. I look over at her and she is shaking. I put my hand on her arm in sympathy. Trying to give her some comfort. It seems she has barely been holding it together.

"I'm not sure how long they had me. Falael and Novas must have heard my screams. I didn't even know they had come until Novas cut the head off the one that was on top of me at the time. They fought fiercely protecting me long enough for me to get up, I joined the fight, b-but it was too late to save Falael. It was on our way back to the others that Novas lost his arm. That's when we saw two men enter the wagon and he rushed over to save you, too." 

"What do elves do with their dead?" I would like to say words of comfort to her, but I don't know how. I'll have to let Amicia help her. I almost lost Yuna tonight.

"Don't worry about that. I'll take care of him." she said. Touching my hand on her arm and giving me a smile.

"Are you going to be okay here alone?" I ask. She nods in response, so I walk back and dump off the things I picked up from the Bandits. I kept what little money I found and some quivers. The rest isn't valuable to me. The armor and weapons Yuna stole from our caravan was better then this stuff. I just helped gather it for them. I look around and see that they are finished talking to the few bandits and are now killing them. I grab my bow and head back to Yuna. 

"Its happened already, huh?" Her body has changed to match her new level. She isn't much bigger, only a few inches and her chest is still pretty small. But she does have hair everywhere now. I wonder if she will even notice. I lay down next to her. Grimacing as I do. I never did heal my injuries.

I know there are things Yuna isn't telling me. I remember her saying that she doesn't remember everything, but what she does remember isn't correct or something like that. I can tell she is lying about something, but not what. It clearly isn't about not remembering. The Gods know that in some ways she's like a newborn, but in others she seems to know more then me. Maybe it's not so much a lie, then that she just isn't telling me everything. I hope she will trust me enough to tell me one day.

"Faye were going to take what we can and head out. We can't stay here." Amicia said coming into the wagon with the others. They start to go through the wagon, shoving things into packs. "I know that you will have to carry Yuna for now, but anything you can help carry would be appreciated." She asks in her own way.

"Could you help close my wounds first?" I ask.

"Gods! Why didn't you say anything." She says tsking at me as she came over.

"I wasn't thinking about it." I tell her truthfully.

"Well you should or she is going to give you a talking to for a change." Something seems off about what she just said.. "My, she didn't get that much bigger after all of that, did she?" She said looking at Yuna. "Well, that's good news for you. It will be easier to carry her around this way." She chuckled.

"Yeah." I answer only half listening to her. 

"Faye.." Yuna calls my name softly. 

"Yuna?" Is she alright?

"Don't you touch her!" she yells out and starts to struggle, flailing around. I grab hold of her shoulders and try to wake her up.

"Yuna! Its only a dream!" I yell at her and shake her. Her eyes fly open and she grabs my wrists.

"Faye? Thank god, you're alright." She says as she calms down looking all over my face, neck, chest and arms rapidly . "Jesus. I thought you were being... but no, you're okay." Then she smiled and pulled me into a hug. "Don't scare me like that."

"Scare you?! You idiot! Yo-you were practically dead!! There were so many arrows in you!" I pull away from her and look down. I see she has fallen asleep again. 

"You d-dummy" I say crying into the remains of her dress.

"You uhh.. just covered your face in blood.." Amicia informs me.

 

 

26