135. I don’t want to die
4.1k 10 132
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 The banquet was celebrated with grandeur.

Laughter echoed inside the Banquet Hall and the man of the hour, Colt Edgeworth was surrounded by several Nobles, both from the Military and not.

Around ten of them gathered around Colt. All of them had an agenda in mind, and everyone wanted to make connections. 

“Young Master Colt, I heard that you fancy History. I must say you would love the exhibition of the Valhalla Exhibition of the Holy Lands. I’ve been there three times it still amazes me to this day. If you so wish, I can take you there tomorrow for some light sightseeing.” A potbellied Count laughed as he invited.

“Thank you for the suggestion. I shall go there once the epidemic is dealt with. I worry about the people’s safety and wellbeing.” A rejection that was backed with so much underlying meaning pierced everyone’s ears.

“…Of course, of course, that’s what I meant…um, please, excuse me for a while.” The potbellied Count escaped in haste. 

“Oh, Young Master Colt, about the Evergreen Antidote, how do you transport them to the other powers with our current situation? If you want, my company can assist you.”

“Please, I do not want to trouble anyone, the Edgeworth Family already have our means from exporting wine. It is a trivial matter, undeserving of your attention.” translation ‘Mind your goddamn business.’

With Colt’s words, none was able to speak. This cleared Colt’s mind and answered the question of “What’s their intentions?”, they were too easy to read.

‘And they say it would be hard to read them.’

Colt did not know if it was because he had been learning, but somehow, he could see the most superficial nuances of those who approached him.

He could destroy them with his words but chose not to. He could mess with the younger generations, but it would not be wise to have an entire house against him.

But then again, no one wanted to challenge Colt’s rage. He currently in possession of the strongest weapon—Alchemist Jin.

With a sigh, Colt entertained those who approached him, that was until one particular group appeared before him.

“Young Master Colt, I’ve been searching for you.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Duke Terial Courtgain stepped up before Colt parting the crowd. 

“Duke Courtgain, I’m sorry for not going to meet you earlier despite everything that had happened.”

“It’s fine worry not about it; besides, it should have been me who went to meet you considering your current situation.”

Colt laughed at his words.

Mary was with Terial, but she simply bowed before Colt and didn’t say anything else. She was silent and respectful before him; it was a sight none had seen before. 

Whispers seemed was like a full-blown conversation from Colt’s view.

The Courtgain was bowing the Edgeworths, that’s how it looked to everyone else. Colt had plans to correct that, but Terial stopped him, whispering, “Please, for the time being, don’t. Let their imaginations take over. You don’t have to clear our name, let them think what they want.”

“Duke Courtgain, you must know of my current position in the eyes of many Nobles. It will be rather troublesome for both our families.”

“Oh, you mean about you becoming a King? Just let it be, for the time being, all of it is a bunch of shams anyway. The Second Prince had been targeting me to join his camp, and this the most effective way to keep away his approaches.”

Duke Courtgain was honest and straightforward with his demands. It was a good front, but for Colt, it just sealed his escaped route. If he rejects Terial’s request, then it might implicate Mary so he would rather not.

‘I heard Duke Terial is a great strategist on the battlefield. I didn’t think he’d even be able to entrap me in this social gathering. I don’t like him.’

Colt grew hesitant to meet Terial. Mary may be his Knight, but that doesn’t mean he had to like her family.

Duke Terial had a similar body like Shickly and Liron, he was buffed. He was tall and exuded the air befitting of a General but different from Shickly and Liron.

Shickly and Liron were one of the mightiest men of the Kingdom. But in terms of Military tactic, it was said that Duke Terial had both of them beat. But none of that had been proven true for the time being.

‘Though I heard his dislike for Father is stronger than Father-in-Law. This must be his reason for doing this. But if that is the case, then I do not plan on being so soft either.’ 

With a meek laugh, Colt gave the crafty General a smile, “I’ll agree this time around.”

“Haha, good, you’re easier to talk to than your stubborn old man. I’ll owe you a favour for this, Young Edgeworth.”

Colt’s smile grew ever prevalent as his hands touched each other, “Is that so? Then, I’ll ask for your help in a later date, Duke Terial. I have been thinking of doing something, so it is a pleasure. Truly, be meritorious to receive good fortune.”

Duke Terial’s smile quivered as he felt a chill at the sight of Colt’s smile. Quickly he tried to interject, “…I.”

“Truly, the honorable Duke is too good. For your goodwill truly, I am thankful.”

Colt’s voice was not kept to just them; it reached the ears of those who were farther away. This stunned even Terial.

‘The shamelessness of this kid—it is amazing. Truly the son of Sister Faerith…dammit, I don’t want to remember that woman.’ Terial shivered out of fear.

He looked at Colt and a “What if” questioned surfaced. With a broken smile, he laughed, “You can count on me when you need it, Young Edgeworth. Well, that’s enough for now, I have a meeting with other people, so if you would excuse me.”

The Duke escaped; he didn’t want to deal with Colt. He was too shameless like his Mother. 

Colt watched Terial escape with a smile on his face. He was satisfied. He was already prepared to bite the Duke, but he just had to throw a bone and help him with it.

‘That solves one of my problems.’ He also wasn’t lying when he said he needed help. This might not be enough, but he did have plans from B to D to cover the holes that remain.

He was beginning to change the more he stayed in this realm. To him, it felt like it was just yesterday when he got stabbed in the back by Julius.

None can truly attest to his changes, because for all everyone knows, these skills of his may have just been hidden all these years ago. That façade excuse covered too much zone.

“That’s the first time I saw Father back away in fear of extortion. Thank you for showing me that, My Lord.”

Colt and Mary decided that her calling him Master felt weird. Thus, this was the outcome. Mary was at first, reluctant, but all was good now.

“You seem too happy about that.” 

“Well, I never did have the brightest relationship with my Father.” 

Colt found Mary’s non-dangerous feeling smile more uncomfortable than usual.

‘Weird…’ not only was his naïve mind being changed but also his sense of normal.

The banquet continued, and with Mary by his side, no one really came to talk him. The two Princes were conversing with various Nobles, everyone was having a great time, except that is Colt.

He had been feeling many unsettling gazes directed at him. But the weirdest thing was that these gazes didn’t confer any ill intent. They were full of desires—that scared him even more.

The banquet ended at around midnight. Colt was still left speechless just how much the Nobles were able to stretch such a flimsy concept like this measly banquet to something so long and tedious.

The dance was incredibly uncomfortable for Colt. He had to reject a lot of women to avoid any inappropriate rumours or emotions from sprouting. 

If Mina was to ever find a rival, that said Rival would not have a pretty end.

‘I need to find a way to escape these events.’ 

However, Colt didn’t leave so quickly. He first waited for everyone to leave and only did he boarded a carriage after everyone had already left.

The carriage stopped, and he stepped in, but someone was already inside, one of them was a young woman, and the other was a man. 

It was Sera and Trist.

“Did you enjoy the party, Young Master?” At the sight of Colt, Sera asked.

“Well, it was a party that’s for sure.” Colt gave Sera a vague answer as he boarded the carriage.

He and Trist now faced each other. 

“So, what’s your decision? Your highness? Do you want to become a hero?”

“If you’re lying to me, I’m not going to forgive you.” Trist bluntly stated. After he met with Colt, his thoughts became disoriented. 

He began to think into his ideals, and he saw just how shallow his views previously were. 

Then, a timely appearance of a Black Raven appeared on his windows. It carried a letter from the Tiger Manor. 

After reading things through, he was now before Colt waiting for his plans on how to turn him to this so-called Hero. 

Colt only smiled at his words, “Leave it to me your highness, but before I can tell you everything, I suggest we return to the Tiger Manor. There, I have prepared something crucial to my plans.”

Trist acceptedly reluctantly.

Minutes after their carriage, the three of them arrived in the Tiger Manor. They entered through the back door to avoid inconspicuous gaze.

Butler Go had already cleaned the perimeter, but the commoners were still on the front garden. It’s best to stay hidden.

As they entered, Sera guided both of them to study.

Trist took a deep breath before entering. This was the same place where Colt destroyed his dreams of becoming a King. 

He needed to keep his heart in check. Colt noticed him and secretly laughed; the Prince was more fragile than he had thought. But what made that laugh disappear was Sera also snickering as she glanced over at Trist.

‘Pathetic.’ Is what she thought, “Are you prepared to enter, your highness?”

A now rare pleasant smile was on Sera’s face when she asked. She was gloating.

Not putting much thought about Sera’s smile, Trist nodded his head.

“Go ahead.”

Sera opened the door, and Trist was prepared to enter, but someone was already inside.

That person turned to them and smiled at the sight of Trist, “Hello, brother.”

BAM!

Trist hurriedly closed the door and looked over at Colt.

Colt, had an angelic smile as he said.

‘I know what’s he going to say next, “What’s he doing here?” or something like that.’

“What’s he doing here?” Trist was fuming.

‘See? I was right.’ Colt had about enough of this Prince thing.

"I told you I made preparation," Colt stated.

Trist was reluctant, still.

Sera snorted as she thought, "Coward."

"What!?" 

"What?"

Sera's thought had inadvertedly escaped.

Trist glared at Sera, however, Sera acted confused and innocent. 

"I-is there a problem, your highness?"

Trist's face was red from both embarrassment and anger, with a roar he grabbed the knob, "Who's afraid of him. I'll show you."

Trist waltzed inside, leaving Colt to give Sera a thumbs up and Sera smugly nodding her head. 

"Good job."

"I didn't plan that. Please don't let my head fly. I still want to live, Young Master."

"I'll...try."

132