162. Peaceful days
2.8k 9 84
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Papa, what kind of Fate do you follow?”

Colt was in the newly built Family Library, reading through something when Filla, who had brought him tea to drink, asked him this question.

It had been only five hours ago since she chose the Fate of Light, and she was wearing her Phylactery around her neck.

However, as time went on, she got curious as she didn’t really know what kind of Phylactery other people have. She realized she didn’t know Colt’s, Mina’s, and not even Hylda’s Fates.

Thus, she asked Colt, the one person who had nothing to do today. Colt looked at Filla, expecting an answer, and despite it being hard for him to express it without hurting her feelings, he still tried with a smile, “I follow the Fate of Darkness.”

Filla’s eyes glistened. She had so many questions she wanted to ask Colt. She was only four years old, and despite being a prodigy, she had so many things she had yet to know.

“Really? Why did you choose it? Why did you choose to follow the Fate of Darkness? And where’s your Phylactery, Papa?”

Such was the question she really wanted to ask. Colt didn’t want to talk about this because it might have an effect on Filla. After all, the original followed the Fate of Darkness and then underwent many trials and tribulations and then made several mistakes in his life.

Colt didn’t want to sound like Filla was a mistake, but if one looks at it, one can say that the original having Filla was one of his tribulations. So, he had to be very careful when explaining to Filla.

As Colt took in a deep breath, he recalled everything that happened before he arrived to control this body and life and then answered, “Well, you see, your Papa was a really bad kid when he was young. I had the talent with the sword but never used it. I was hailed as a genius and never cared, and did a lot of bad things.

“So, when I was taught that the Fate of Darkness accepts the sinners and those who had done something bad, I grabbed hold of that chance and thought that I’d be forgiven of my mistakes. As for my Phylactery, I am sure I kept it in my room, by, as the old mansion was destroyed, it is now gone.”

“Huh!? We need to fix it then; we have to order some new ones.” Filla was alarmed and was about to run to Mina and report what happened, only for Colt to pick her up and stop her from running away. Filla’s short legs kept moving as she was held up.

And as she stopped, she looked up and asked Colt, “Why did you stop me?”

“Don’t worry about the Phylactery. Following a Fate does not need a Phylactery. The only thing you need is faith and the belief that you have in your heart. A Phylactery is only a reminder, but if you have it in your heart and mind, you don’t need a reminder, don’t you?”

“No....” Filla shook her head as she answered. She was enlightened by Colt’s rare wise words.

Colt sighed at Filla, acting so wise, dumb, and a brat most of the time. When these three combines, it was like being with an energetic kid who can talk with accuracy. It was both an amazing experience and a weird one.

But, she’s his daughter, so what can he do about it?

After her curiosity had been quenched by Colt answering her question, another kind of interest would, of course, replace the previous one. While being held up, Filla noticed the book Colt was reading and asked, “What is that?”

Colt had Filla sit on his lap before giving her head pats, which Filla adored.

“This is a book about history. It’s about something called the First Great Devil King.”

“… What’s that? Is that some kind of Magical Beast like Drako?” Filla genuinely had no idea what Colt was talking about.

But it was not that surprising as the Devil King was a bad memory that everyone wanted to suppress. The Devil King that run amok to destroy the Continent appeared 1000 years ago.

Only a handful of scholars and the oldest of elves know of that time, and as for the First Great Devil King that Colt was reading, no one wanted to touch that tale, for it gave rise to unwanted memory.

“The Great Devil King was called as such because it was the being that once conquered half the Continent. It was the enemy of every being, the humanoids, the Magical Beasts, and the Goddesses. It was a being who controlled the mind of people and uses them as pawns and food.

“It was the enemy of the world, and only the greatest of heroes could slay the scourge that is the Great Devil King.”

Colt explained with gusto. He thought that what he just said it sounded like the summary of a good game from the early 90s to the 2000s of earth. He would have been more than happy if that was the truth, but it wasn’t, and all of that really that happened, so he was rather upset.

Filla was smiling as she looked at the picture of the Great Devil King. The Evil that it was had been illustrated to have leathery red skin, a gaping mouth, protruding fangs and purple horns.

Filla observed the Great Devil King’s and concluded that “He looks like someone from the Demon Race?”

“That’s because the predecessors of the Demon Race were said to have been enslaved by the Great Devil King… though they were all saved after their guardian Deity, the Behemoth appeared and rid them off their vile past. But because of their past, they were feared and hated by the people of the Continent.”

“Really?” Filla was saddened for the Demon Race.

“Don’t worry, that’s all in the past. The Goddesses already gave the Demons a chance to redeem themselves by picking a champion from their ranks and slaying the Second Great Devil King… the Demon Race, and everyone else are now friends; there’s even the Darkis Empire, right?”

“I know that one. Do you mean the Demon Empire that leads the Dragon Blood Coalition together with the Hellbane Family?”

Colt nodded his head. He then remembered something and asked Filla this time around, “Do you know where Hylda is?”

“Yes, Big Sister is with Big Bro Arte. They are currently sparring at the Training Grounds.”

Enough said, and Colt then stood up.

“Is something the matter, Papa?”

“I’m worried about Hylda and Arte being together.” Colt said, apparent concern.

Filla failed to understand why, however, “It’s okay Papa, when I left, Arte was already begging on the ground for mercy. Big Sister already won.” She said as she trying alleviating Colt’s worries.

“… that’s not the problem, my child…you know what I’ll explain it to you when you’re older.” And so, the two of them left the library. And with their presence out of the picture, Fluff walked in to take an afternoon nap and found the book Colt was reading.

It got curious and then skimmed through it only to throw the book to the side, whispering, “Meow.” It was inadequate.

Soon, the day ended, and it was already the final month of the year.

On the first day of the final month, Colt was given a pleasant surprise as Butler Neun, who was supposed to return a week prior, came home with someone unexpected.

“I told you, Young Master, we’ll see each other again.” Ferald had been hired by the Count to be the Fief’s, Master Blacksmith.

Colt didn’t really care, and then time passed.

On the 12th of the last month, Colt came to know of something rather amazing.

He and Mina shared the same time of birth. They celebrated as a family, and Colt was met with a pleasant day. It was a warm day despite the cold temperature.

The comings days came quickly as it went, Colt was taught by Neun during the night before bed, and that was all. Colt trained in moderation while letting the Dragon Pearl do its work.

He also began using Fluff’s general to assist Butler Go in getting information from across the Continent. It appears Butler Go was happy that he now has something to do other than looking after the Tiger Manor.

Sera continued being who she was and then subsequently reached Rank-4 of being a Warrior. She also managed to complete her new style, she was glad.

Hylda continued whooping Arte’s ass during the day, and Shickly continued beating up Arte during the night. Colt was considering becoming kinder to Arte…but it appears he was enjoying this life despite everything else.

‘He may have awakened.’ Colt thought at one time.

And then, while spending time as a family, the final day of the final month arrived, and the most awaited moment finally happened.

Colt and Mina’s marriage arrived.

84