Ch. 17 – Solutions On The Shore
3.8k 9 126
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All was quiet for a time. 

 

Perth had disappeared in a roar of wind and light, compacting to a central point that shrunk to the size of a pebble and then shot off into the stratosphere and --presumably-- beyond. The night bore no sounds save for the gentle lapping of the waves of the sea, and the quiet pant of Snooze’s labored breath.

 

She was back to her normal Avatar form, standing still in the sand, her eyes gazing out into the pregnant nothingness where Perth had been a moment ago. Sapped of energy and strength, she tried to keep her balance, but felt herself faltering, and finally dropped forward, the world spinning.

 

She was caught gently by a firm grip, and looked up to see an unfamiliar specter.

 

A vaguely humanoid outline with orange… skin, peered back at her. Coils of silver hair curled down over blazingly green eyes and an otherwise featureless face. No mouth, nose or miscellaneous orifice. 

 

“Who… are you?” she asked.

 

It’s me, Snooze, said a voice inside her mind, Riff.

 

“Riff…?” Snooze questioned, thoroughly confused.

 

This is my form when I’m not, you know, Astrally projecting all over,” she clarified.

 

“I see,” Snooze said. In fact, she did.

 

Thank you, she said, as Snooze found her footing and stretched her exhausted limbs.

 

“Well, I suppose you’re welcome,” Snooze said, “but I wouldn’t have been able to do that without your… Enhancement, was it?”

 

Yes, it’s called Enhancement, Riff said, but, that’s not why I am thanking you. I am grateful that you didn’t destroy Perth. But also, without you, I wouldn’t have been able to return to my original God Path.

 

Snooze frowned.

 

“What do you mean? You’re saying you got your old God Path back? How?”

 

From you, of course, Riff said, nudging Snooze’s shoulder with the lightest of taps, with that Aura of yours.

 

“My Aura changed your God Path?”

 

Riff nodded.

 

Yep! Lucky thing, too, because otherwise I’d never have been able to use Enhance. It’s Measured-specific.

 

Snooze nodded, but she wasn’t paying attention. Her eyes had found the chrysalis-like husk of her former Archangel. She dropped down to her knees, but was too afraid to touch the translucent substance, for fear she’d shatter it.

 

“Oh, Meat…” she said, a lump stuck in her throat, her hand hovering just above the surface of the Archangel’s remains, “you poor, willful sweetheart. Why were you ever here in the first place?”

 

Archangels supposedly protect the worlds of their gods. Well, I guess they do if they’re not mine.

 

“Yes, Book told me that…” she said, but then she jumped up.

 

What is it, Snooze? Riff asked.

 

It had been so chaotic that she’d completely forgotten about her other friend in this existence. She noticed the little leaf gem floating not far away from her, and touched the face of it. The display expanded, lighting up in the darkness of the night.

 

HELLO, SNOOZE! WELCOME BACK! DID YOU GIVE THAT NASTY ROGUE ARCHANGEL A PADDLIN’?

 

“Travel Book,” she said, raising a finger, “do I have any abilities that can revive a fallen Archangel?”

 

REVIVE A FALLEN…? SNOOZE, YOU MAY HAVE TO CLARIFY FOR ME, AS THIS ISN’T A FORM OF HUMOR I’M FAMILIAR WITH.

 

“It’s not for funnies, Book,” Snooze clarified, “this is for bonafide seriosity.” 

 

I SEE…

 

WELL, WHAT IS THE NATURE OF THE FALLEN ARCHANGEL?

 

...Spirit essence quenching the thirst of another Archangel through a celestial straw. Riff offered.

 

THAT IS… UNUSUAL.

 

Everything is unusual in this existence,” Snooze said, tapping her fingers against her chin urgently, “Sorry to be rude, but can we hurry up, Book? Time might possibly be of the essence!”

 

The Book of Leaf: Travel Edition seemed to consider her words carefully, and finally responded.

 

I HAVE SCANNED THE AREA OVER THE LAST TWENTY FOUR HOURS AND HAVE COME TO A CONCLUSION…

 

Snooze leaned forward with anxiety. The suspense was killing her.

 

YOU CAN’T DO ANYTHING AT ALL.

 

The words jumped out at her as if they’d been a bullet chambered into a gun and fired into her heart. Meat would truly be gone, and she’d never be made whole. Snooze slumped.

 

“Oh…” she said softly, and could feel tears welling up in her eyes again. She turned and began to walk slowly back to the spot where Meat lay. Then she heard a chirp from the Book of Leaf. Glancing back, she read the words, and her countenance transformed from sadness to confusion.

 

I SAID THAT, “YOU,”COULDN’T DO ANYTHING AT ALL, SNOOZE. BECAUSE THOSE THAT CAN DO SOMETHING ARE ALREADY ON THEIR WAY TO HELP.

 

“Book, who are you referring to?”

 

The Book of Leaf made its display much larger, and for the first time that Snooze had ever seen, instead of text appearing on the face, a giant arrow pointed off to her right along the shore. 

 

THEM.

 

She looked up. 

 

The ocean was to her right, and the ruined village far to her left, but on the narrow strip of sandy beach between, she could see shapes emerging from the darkness. Dozens, perhaps as many as thirty figures were slowly making their way down the stretch, following the footprints they’d originally left to find their way back. They were dressed in a variety of simple garb, utilitarian and allowed ease of movement for hunting, crafting, and fishing. She could see the mild rosy hue of their skin in the shafts of pale moonlight that were still present. 

 

As they approached, Snooze could hear a curious sound. At first she thought it was a swarm of insects, or a choir of kazoos, but she realized it was coming from the people moving closer to them. They were humming! They all shared the melodies and harmonies of a beautiful song, a solemn song, and one with a hint of triumph and joy. She’d never heard this before, but as they came close, she smiled. 

 

Her wonderful little Village of Dela Stonies. They’d survived! 

 

She turned back to the Book of Leaf.

 

“Them? They’re not gods.”

 

The chirp that sounded from the Book could almost have been confused for a chuckle.

 

SNOOZE, ONE NEED NOT BE A GOD TO BE POWERFUL.

 

“That’s true,” she said, nodding, “but what can they do?”

 

THEY’RE GOING TO BRING MEAT BACK.

126