Interlude 1: Wilting lilies are rather common
111 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Sylphy POV-

When I was eating, suddenly I felt my breath get heavy and my vision blurred, my body burned from the inside as I couldn't feel anything around me. Soon I felt my body try and fight away death as I was about to give up. I have felt something similar to this before, it was when I was but 13 years old. 'Right I felt safe that day just like I felt safe as long as Siren was here today for some reason.'

 


 

"Hey, what are you doing, we're going to be late if you don't get up right now!" My older sister, by 3 months, had woken me with dramatics by taking my cover off of me in the cold room. This happens often when we have school, I have a hard time waking up during cold days. Although there are lots of towns and such that are only livable with massive amounts of war technology like in the mountains or other places that haven't been completely cleared of hostile monsters, we are lucky enough to live inside the capital with access to schooling for not much more money added to the taxes until we hit collage age as then we would need to either take out a loan or get a scholarship to ever afford it. Today me and my sister are going to be taking a test that will tell the state what we excel at in order to hopefully send us into careers that suite us in the future.

I groan as I stumble out of bed, the time being 6 in the morning, it was just barely enough time for a morning shower to wake up, getting everything for school and scarfing down some breakfast before getting on the bus to school. 'really how does my sister get up so early by herself?' I think to myself as I head to the bathroom and start the shower. As I wait for the shower I grab my clothes that are rather cute as after school me and my sister are going to go to her friend's house to hang out and I can meet Fina again. Fina has a weak body so she is home schooled, she is cute and fun to talk to, I hope she can get better quickly so we can go shopping one day.

After getting a shower and getting dressed I see my sister Lora making breakfast, her eggs are really good, she says that since I like sweet things she's been looking into eastern egg recipes as they use sugar in things we normally wouldn't think of. what she's making today is also eggs but with a really fluffy form like whipped cream she made a big fluffy omelette with sweet maple bacon and homemade sweet tomato sauce. She also blended up some mango and ice and added tea to make a "mango-tea smoothie" as she calls it. It was so good that she should just open a restaurant already.

We are done with breakfast so we gather our school supplies and head outside to meet the bus just as it pulls up. 'Strange, I know we barely had enough time but being this on point is just plain strange.' I think to myself as we get onto the bus, of course I sit beside my sister. We talk while we head to school about what we want to be when we grow up, though I don't know what I want to be, I know I want to be by my sister. She's always looking after me even though we have different parents, and she has never hurt me before. Others looking at our relationship say that we are strangely close for step siblings, but I ignore them because I have my sister. We get to school without the bus breaking down like it does every other week, really they should just fix the thing or get it replaced instead of throwing temporary fixes at it every time.

"Hey, what's up Sylphy!" A voice from a boy in my class calls out to me. I'm bad at remembering names from boys because for some reason they are all convoluted names like Liftherton, or Sigfried. I was told it's because everyone wants there children to grow to be strong like the heroes of old, but that still doesn't explain much as it just says why it's like that now, what of the heroes of old? And besides even if they do end of doing something great having that name they will just always be overshadowed by responsibility afterwards.

"Hey, nothing much, you?" I reply like always to the question that slips from everyone's lips to the first person they see in the morning. "I was wondering if you were free this evening, me and a few friends are going to go to the demonstration event downtown to see the new weapons they're bringing for testing." He asks as I remember they were testing some sort of new gun that's able to fire bullets that are harder than longma scales (Longma is a monstrosity of if a dragon and a horse had a baby. Although it can't be confirmed because dragons are long dead since ancient times, An adult male Longma's scales are said to be comparable to a pubescent dragon's) without blowing the barrel apart in doing so. "I'll have to decline, I'm going with my sister to go meet Fina after school." I decline as I walk to the school building to head to class. I could hear his friends consoling him for some reason 'Well I'm sure it's not my fault.'

I go through the classes like normal and we take the state test to hopefully decide our futures and I found an odd question 'What would you do if everything you cared about was taken from you?' I answered the question with an 'I don't know' because I'm just 13 how should I know. Anyway it seems that a lot of other students were also confused by such a serious and rather dark question. After the test we were finally freed from school so I immediately head out to find my sister waiting in front of the school. She smiled when she saw me and I smiled back, as we make our way to Fina's house I get to enjoy chatting with my sister about school and the test we took. *knock**knock**knock* As we got there my sister knocked on the door and Lisa, my sister's friend opened the door and invited us in.

"I'm really glad they get along, Fina and Sylphy. I don't know what I would do if she wasn't able to get friends because of her poor body." Lisa said to my sister to which my sister replies with compassion towards Fina's poor health and talks about things that have been happening in the news recently. 'seriously, I love my sister but when she's around Lisa it's like she is suddenly older than her age.' I think as I go to find Fina in her room. "Hey Fina, you up? I have some books that I brought from home I thought you might like!" I call to her and show some books that are similar to the stories she likes to read, although I said I took them from home in truth I ordered them because they were books that were similar to the ones that Fina finished while not being able to stop herself from talking about the story, so I did some research and found these with raving reviews.

"oh hey Sylphy, Thank you. I don't have much to do other than read books and watch the news." Fina said as she leaned up to greet me from her bed. We talked for a while and then soon my sister and Lisa enter the room with food in their hands. I like my sister's food more than Lisa's but they both share similar styles so I guess my sister is teaching Lisa how to cook when we come down here? Although she's only a friend of my sister, I like Lisa as well because she may be worse than my sister at cooking, but she is kind and takes care of Fina. We start eating the light meal made with baked chicken and lemon seasoning, because Fina is poor in health Lisa only cooks healthy food that is not too heavy in grease or fat so that her body doesn't have to work too hard to digest the food.

Suddenly I felt it was hard to breathe and my insides were burning I could barely hold my eyes open but while they were still open I caught a glimpse of Fina and my sister collapse 'nononono, this can't be happening. they are just sleeping right?' I think as I slip into unconsciousness.

When I woke up I found myself in a hospital surrounded by nurses and a doctor with worn out appearance. They look like they were desperately running around for the entire day. "whe..re...is my....sis..ter." I ask with a hoarse voice of someone with a dry mouth and hasn't spoken in days. I couldn't believe my last memory before passing out, she had to be okay she's my sister she's the one I wanted to follow in the future. 'There's no way she would be hurt...right?' I though but to my dismay the people around me just looked at each other with worried glances and the doctor walked up to me and started talking. "For now just focus on getting better, we will tell you about what happened when you are determined to be physically stable." He then left the room and soon my mother and step-father walk in. 'I don't like where this is going.'

Later, I found out that both my sister and Fina died that day from poison and I almost did too. Upon hearing this I couldn't contain my mix of emotions of anger and sadness and ended up passing out again. 'who, who hurt my sister. WHY?! FINA TOO! WHY MUST THEY HURT THEM?! Why did I live... I don't have anything more to live for....' these thought swirled in my head for even longer than I ever thought I could hold onto any one feeling. I decided to become a doctor so that I can try to help as many people as possible to stop them from ending up like me. I became bound to that reasoning but I still never found any sort of respite. People would be save by me and I probably saved hundreds of people from ending up like me, but it all was just temporary solace as I constantly think about that day my sister and Fina were taken from me. To this day I still don't know why i'm alive, but I have obligations now to help others from becoming like me.

 


 

I can see again but everything is red and there is a man there, I'm eating him. I don't know why or how but I feel as though they are the one who poisoned me. I became angry, all my feelings from that day pile up and I can't help but feel some relief as I continue to eat him. Why is it so liberating, there is no way this is the person who killed my sister and Fina, but I can't stop. I continue to eat, and soon I hear a faint voice that sounds familiar. "It's okay, It's okay now." the voice said 'Sister?!' I felt as if time stopped as I felt respite for the first time. I passed out again to find myself in a bed when next I woke up. "Sister..." I say such in the empty room to no one, remembering the voice of my sister calling out to me I cry for the first time in years.

Here's the promised interlude. I may have cried too much for our little Sylphy here even though I'm the one writing it. I'm a sucker for these sorts of back stories. Hope you enjoy this little interlude as it is also setting things up relation wise for Sylphy. also It seems that I may have been into it a bit and made it about as long as a full chapter. also I don't know if you would like it or not but I'll make a poll for if I should introduce Sylphy's sister and Fina into the new world somehow.

Should Sylphy meet with her sister and Fina again in the new world?
  • Yes, going the reincarnation in another world without memories route Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Yes, going the reincarnation in another world with memories route Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Yes, summon like Sylphy in some way Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Yes, transmigration into already existing person after said person dies route Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, death is death and they only lived in an artificial world anyway Votes: 1 7.7%
  • What are you talking about, They are already there. Votes: 7 53.8%
Total voters: 13
7