Chapter 7 – War Between Species
4.7k 5 122
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Moss’s agents followed him into battle as they bombarded the first wave of enemy agents. The green-spotted agents, though outnumbered and out-leveled, fought with valiance. As many virus agents do not have an efficient way of killing other viruses, all they could do was crush each other’s membranes through sheer weight and momentum.

 

Well, that’s how typical viruses fought with each other. However, unlike typical viruses, Moss and his agents could extract viruses’ DNA, giving them an upper hand. While his agents fought, Moss had his own fair share of battles.

 

The green-spotted agent that Moss was currently using faced off a pair of enemy agents. The nearest enemy agent barreled over on the left while the other one pressured Moss to a corner on the right. With his back to a wall of cells, Moss sidestepped the left agent and collided with the right agent.

 

Both sides suffered damage to their membranes. But, because Moss was the inferior one, the damage on his membrane was greater. Seeing that he could not brute force his way to victory, he decided to think smarter. Moss backstepped a few times, putting a considerable distance between him and the two enemy agents.

 

The two agents turned towards Moss like robots and rushed towards him. However, since their focuses were all on him, they did not pay attention to their surroundings. Moss took advantage of that and circled around his enemies.

 

The two enemy agents turned towards him only to find themselves in each other’s way. As they stumbled about, Moss pounced on the closest virus agent and plunged his DNA extractor into the agent.

 

Drawing out any amount of DNA would cause a cell to weaken and lose its bearings. Moss assumed the same could be said for viruses. Without taking out all of the DNA from the virus agent, Moss retrieved his extractor and sampled the withdrawal.

 

The extracted agent wobbled and keeled back, butting into the other agent behind it and causing a crack to appear on its membrane. Moss bombarded forward and smashed into the enemies, causing the cracks to deepen.

 

With one agent on top of another, the two of them could not move. They were easy pickings for Moss. The green-spotted agent brandished his extractor and plunged it into the pinned agent. <<DNA Extraction>>! Moss removed all of the agent’s DNA, killing it in a matter of seconds.

 

After relishing the taste of the virus’s DNA, Moss turned his attention to the second one. Without so much as a peep, Moss finished it off. The virus agent turned around and observed the battlefield. Though his agents had the advantage of weaponry, they were still outnumbered. Quite a few of them have even been mobbed and stomped to death, their fluids dyeing the floors.

 

If he continued this battle, this would be a suicide mission no doubt. He retreated back to a safe distance and began sending signals to his other infection agents from nearby bluegrasses in request of reinforcements. As he was doing so, he could sense one of the enemy agents do the same.

 

Knowing that enemy reinforcements would soon arrive, Moss changed his commands and ordered a group of infection agents to branch off from the main force and target the enemy bluegrasses. Soon, the reinforcements arrived, but Moss’s consciousness was elsewhere.

 

The battle continued while Moss led his new group of agents to a nearby enemy bluegrass. Because the enemy bluegrass sent most of their virus agents into battle, there were only a few thousand defending the fort.

 

Moss led his agents into enemy territory. Because the enemies were distracted by the alarms of war, they did not expect Moss to attack them at their home ground. Moss knew he had to make some new decisions differing from what he had initially intended.

 

Instead of brute-forcing his way to the plant’s main functions, Moss coordinated his agents to stealthily approach and assassinate the enemies that guard and operate the main functions. Moss, himself, led a couple of agents to the roots where the plant’s true ‘brain’ was located.

 

The roots of a plant control many vital processes in the plant as well as delivering water and nutrients throughout the plant. Destroy that area and Moss would have taken over the bluegrass entirely. As he couldn’t really infect the infected plant, the only other choice was elimination.

 

Soon, they arrived at the roots. The roots were silent with not a single free virus agent swarming about. Without a moment’s hesitation, Moss crept up towards a nearby root cell. Since his agents’ minds were connected with his mind, they immediately understood what Moss wanted to do. They, too, crept up to a group of infected cells.

 

When Moss gave the signal and struck his target with the DNA extractor, the other virus agents did the same. And instead of sampling the cells of their DNA like he did with the virus agents earlier, Moss ordered his agents to extract all. As the cells collapsed and crushed the trapped enemy agents inside, Moss led a swift attack on the other root cells.

 

Stab, extract, repeat! Finally, all of the cells have been destroyed. With the lack of functions of the plant’s brain, the plant went into shock and started to die out. Taking this time, Moss led his agents out of the bluegrass and towards another enemy bluegrass.

 

Meanwhile….

 

[That new guy is really going at it.] Lady Tully weaved her mind towards the battlefield.

 

[Should we stop them, Your Ladyship?] A TMV agent bowed deeply.

 

Lady Tully shook dismissively as she turned towards her child. [Why should we? War is a common occurrence in this virus eat virus world. As long as it doesn’t affect us, let them do what they want.]

 

[As you wish, Your Ladyship.] The TMV agent bowed once more.

 

Lady Tully turned her attention back on Moss as she murmured to herself. [Hopefully, you could provide us with some entertainment in this boring world we live in. Don’t disappoint us.]

122