Chapter 17 – Death
3k 3 86
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After piercing halfway through the defenses of the undead army, the second-generation TBV agents finally slowed down to a halt. They had sorely underestimated the power of their enemies. If they had pierced through the defenses completely, they could maneuver away from any rear and side attacks. However, by stopping midway, they were surrounded.

 

Lichen commanded his troops to attack. The undead army scrambled on top of the TBV sequents, gnawing and refusing to let go no matter how much the virus agents squirmed. As the focus of their attacks were not to zombify their enemies, the undead agents hungrily inhaled the DNA from the open wounds.

 

Lichen, too, join the battle. With one powerful bounce, he slammed into a nearby TBV sequent and knocked it over. The undead virus agent held onto the writhing enemy and bit down hard, greedily sucking at the sweet nectar that flowed out.

 

Due to all that was going on, the TBV agents received an initial shock. This wasn’t what they had expected the enemies to do. How could they stand after being knocked around like that? Do they not fear death? Why were they biting onto them and refusing to let go?

 

The TBV agents tried to fight back but many who were pinned down by the undead virus agents soon found themselves weak and sluggish. However, fortunately for them, they were not inexperienced warriors. Knowing that their time was nearing the end, they forsook all else and rammed their bodies continuously at the inner walls, squishing those that latched onto them.

 

With so many open wounds, the TBV agents perished, but not before they took some of the undead agents with them. As for the other TBV sequents, their battle instincts told them that they were dealing with a new type of enemy.

 

Quickly, they calmed themselves and regrouped. Changing their tactics and dividing their groups into two arrow formations, the TBV agents prepared for a second wave of attack. This time, instead of recklessly piercing through the enemy defenses, they would rush from the two sides and deal a terrific pincer attack.

 

Being attacked on both sides, Lichen did not show any panic. It wasn’t because he couldn’t due to being a ‘lifeless and emotionless’ entity, it was because the undead virus agent instinctively knew how to counter such an attack. As the two arrow formations edged closer and closer to his army of zombie virus agents, Lichen ordered his troops to split into two square formations, each facing an arrow formation.

 

Right before the formations collided, Lichen signaled to his troops once more, splitting them each into two formations. Now there were two line formations against each arrow formation. The line formations moved in different locations, drawing in the respective arrow formation. Before the enemy TBV agents could react, the line formations converged, dealing damage on both sides of the arrow formations.

 

In a matter of seconds, the two arrow formations scattered, and the entirety of the battlefield was reduced to straight up brawl. TBV agents slammed continuously at the undead virus agents, while they retaliated with DNA-sucking bite wounds. For a few seconds, the battle had reached a stalemate. Neither side seemed to have an advantage over the other.

 

That was until reinforcements came. As if expecting that the second-generation TBV agents could not handle the resistance, Lady Tully had sent out a hundred first-generation TBV agents to aid in the battle. Unlike the second-generation, the first-generation had more lethality and attack power. As soon as they arrived on the battlefield, the tide moved in their favor.

 

The first-generation TBV sequents clashed head on, essentially flanking two of the line formations from behind. Lichen commanded a few of his agents and left the formation to spearhead the reinforcements. The enemy was strong. Lichen fought for his life as well as for the lives of his agents. The more his membrane broke and shattered, the fiercer he fought.

 

It was a losing battle. It was going to be Lichen’s first loss. Unwilling to admit defeat, Lichen charged head on towards a first-generation TBV agent and latched himself onto the snake-like virus sequent. No matter how much the virus sequent thrashed about…no matter how much Lichen’s membrane cracked from being smashed against the cell walls, the zombie virus agent held on and ate as much as he could.

 

However, was it enough? No. The energy consumed did not exceed the usage. And because of that, Lichen finally cracked…literally. With one final slam against the cell walls, Lichen sensed his body split nearly in two. Lichen spewed out DNA and released his hold on the first-generation TBV agent.

 

As if angered by Lichen’s resilience, the first-generation TBV agent continued to relentlessly bash against his body. It was until another zombie virus agent latched onto the TBV sequent did they finally turned their attention away.

 

Leaderless, the zombie virus raged on. Like golems without further directions, they continued their tasks of gorging as much DNA as they could gather. One by one…group by group…the zombie virus agents were picked off by the TBV agents.

 

Finally, there were only a couple of undead virus agents left. There was no escape. The TBV agents surrounded the zombie virus agents, preparing to finish them off once and for all when suddenly, there was a sound.

 

DING!

86