Chapter 27 – The Farmer Hero Arrives
2.4k 5 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, the two farmers rose up early to tend to the tobacco crops before heading towards the town square. After buying some street food for a late morning brunch, the brothers found a nice and cool location to wait for the heroes’ arrival.

 

Recently, there have been a few monsters spotted dangerously close to the trading routes from the town to the capital. There were frequent reports of them attacking merchant caravans and travelers. The imperial palace had tasked a couple of heroes over to take care of the situation. Dale had recently acquired news that the heroes were Blaze Empress Adara, Stone King Clayton, Battle Champion Adrian, and Farmer Hero Bart.

 

Soon, the luminous sun reached its prime and a couple of riders galloped through the town entrance, their recklessness nearly knocking over a couple of townsmen. Normally, the town guards would apprehend the rude people, but one look at their crests stopped them in their tracks. It was the heroes.

 

One of the guards quickly departed while the remaining guards approached and welcomed the heroes. The heroes leaped out of their rides and handed the reins to the guards. Meanwhile, a portly short man with a bald head and red whiskers scampered out from an inn.

 

The man rubbed his hands while slightly bending his back. He approached the heroes with a smile. “Welcome heroes! My name is John Stout and I am the town mayor. It is so good to have you grace us with your presence. We are very honored.”

 

Stone King Clayton waved his hand sluggishly and harrumphed. “Enough of your ass-kissing. Have our rooms been prepared? What about food? I’m starving!”

 

“Yes, yes. Right away sir. I have prepared your living quarters at our town’s best inn – the Wandering Boar. They serve the best roast pork in town. The food has been prepared already. Please, follow me.” The mayor led the heroes towards a large and warm building with the image of a pig head hanging over the doorway.

 

“You guys go on ahead, I got some herbs to buy.” The Farmer Hero called out as he made his way to the market.

 

“Okay, Bart. Don’t take too long. Meet us here when you’re done.” Adara responded as she entered the inn with a hungry look.

 

“Seriously, I don’t get Bart. Why does he buy herbs anyways? We have elixirs.” Adrian grunted.

 

However, Clayton lightly punched him on the arm. “Idiot, the elixirs may be very effective, but they are scarce. Ever since we killed Moss, healing has been rough. It’s all thanks to Bart that we could have medicine on hand to take.”

 

Adrian grunted once more before turning his attention on the whole roast pig brought over by two waiters. “Ooh! Looks appetizing!”

 

***

 

The Farmer Hero roamed through the small street market, skipping most of the products and heading straight to the plants and produce section. While browsing through the fresh fruit, he sensed someone approaching from behind.

 

Through years of training and combat, Bart instantly whipped out his hand fork and pointed it at the person. The man before Bart was in his mid-twenties and had a weathered look. It was obvious that he worked out in the sun a lot. The man was Harvey.

 

“Please s-sir! Aah m-mean no harm!” Harvey gasped in surprise at the Farmer Hero’s sudden hostility as he took a step back and raised his hands up to show that he wasn’t carrying anything.

 

Bart squinted at the farmer and barked. “Speak! Why were you approaching me from behind?”

 

“Aah’m sorry! Aah d-didn’t mean t-to!” Harvey bowed deeply almost to the point of groveling.

 

Fearing to attract bad reputation from the bystanders watching them, Bart put away his hand fork and helped Harvey to his feet. “No one is going to hurt you. Just tell me what you want from me.”

 

“Oh Farmer Hero, mah brother and Aah was wonderin’ if ya could help us wit somethin’.” Harvey pointed at his brother, who waved back.

 

“Your brother? What do you need help with?” The Farmer Hero sized up Dale before labeling him as harmless.

 

“Yesterday, we found somethin’ wrong wit our tomatoes. Dey had small black rings all over and dey smelled and tasted real awful bad.” Harvey explained.

 

“Fuck! Is that it?” Bart swore as he kicked Harvey away. “Aren’t they just rotten tomatoes? Don’t come bothering me with something so trivial!”

 

As the Farmer Hero prepared to leave, Harvey grabbed Bart’s arm and pleaded. “Please! Dey don’t look rotten. Aside from the black rings and terrible smell, the tomatoes are firm and red. It could be a disease!”

 

“Fuck off! I don’t have time for this nonsense!” Bart sneered with a pissed off look, but before Harvey left unwillingly, the Farmer Hero changed his mind. “Wait, come back!”

 

Isn’t this a perfect chance for me to try out the new elixir? Bart thought before agreeing to go look at the tomato field.

 

***

 

Bart, Dale, and Harvey arrived at the brothers’ farm after half an hour of travel. The Farmer Hero briefly glanced at the tobacco fields before heading towards the tomato field. As soon as he approached it, he could smell a faint stink coming from the tomatoes. And no, it was not fertilizer.

 

Being a farmer before he became a hero, Bart could differentiate between various fertilizers by smell and that smell earlier was not from any known fertilizer. It smelled vaguely of rot, but when Bart reached over to pluck a tomato, he knew that they were not rotten. The tomato had the right proportion of firm and ripeness.

 

The Farmer Hero took a bite and expertly chewed at the disgusting pulp before spitting it out. After rinsing his mouth with a quick swig of water from his canteen, Bart turned to the two brothers and confirmed that the tomato field was indeed diseased.

 

“W-Wat should we do ‘bout it?” Dale asked, worryingly. This tomato field was after all a memento of the brothers’ grandfather and thus had some importance to them.

 

“No worries. I’ll just use an elixir to cure this sickness. This is the Elixir of Wellness. It can cure any sickness so I believe it can also cure any plant illness.” The Farmer Hero replied as he pulled out a vial of greenish liquid.

 

“Oh, oh!” Harvey gasped with worry. “Such a valuable item! We couldn’t afford dat!”

 

“Don’t worry. It’s on the house.” Bart smiled as he poured the liquid onto the field.

 

“T-Thank ya! Thank ya!” Dale and Harvey both saluted with respect.

 

The Farmer Hero gestured towards the farmer brothers nonchalantly before turning his attention towards the tomato field. Bart stared intently as he watched the Elixir of Wellness take into effect.

58