Chapter 20-7: Hitomi & Akiko
223 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 20 - Hitomi & Akiko (cont.)

After all those questions, I figured Katsumi would ask a few of her own.

She asked, “Could you sit on the floor with your legs folded? This pose isn’t really working for me. And I shouldn’t have started in pen.”

Katsumi stayed on the same page of her notebook. I stood up from the chair and sat on the floor a few different ways until Katsumi liked the one which left my feet numb.

If her goal was to remind me yet again, without shouting it, that I was a girl, then she succeeded. The remaining lavender scent on my hands definitively contributed as well.

Katsumi smiled. “Great facial expression. Almost done.”

Akiko reached over for the towel behind Katsumi. It was Katsumi’s turn to sniff. She raised her head from the page and looked at Akiko, who stared back like a thief caught in the act. Akiko lay protectively on the pink blanket.

Katsumi bent to sniff Akiko’s fingers. “Sumi’s brand. A little strong for someone… who at least looks your age.”

Akiko looked between ten and twelve to me, but then I’d always been poor at guessing ages, especially in anime form. I hoped it wasn’t strong enough that Katsumi could smell it on my hands.

She reached behind her pillow, fished out a small spray bottle, and had Akiko offer up her wrist. Katsumi didn’t need to tell her to sniff her wrist and I could smell it from there on the air.

It was a subtler scent, like licorice and raspberries. Akiko’s eyes and nose twitched. She took a breath and made the smallest little ‘chu’ sound for a sneeze.

Katsumi giggled and said, “So cute. I need to give you a few products to make sure you’re fully immersed in girlhood.”

It felt nice that she wasn’t saying such to me for once. Shame it didn’t last long.

She looked at me. “I have a few things for you as well. But make sure she uses what I give her.”

Akiko was still captivated by the first scent when Katsumi sprayed a different one on her other wrist. Akiko brought her wrists close and tried to sniff at them simultaneously. Katsumi smiled again.

As much as it was nicer to see Akiko like this compared with a toothy, dark fiend trying to eat everything up, I couldn’t help but be reminded of the still, silent dress on Tara’s bed.

This wasn’t a young girl. It just had the form of one. Hitomi was right on that. If given a choice, I would gladly take a black dress with red patches and Ami back to normal instead.

Akiko sniffed in my direction.

I cleared my throat. “How close are you to being finished?”

Katsumi set the spray bottles back down. “Pretty close. Just a little bit more.”

She scratched at the pad with her pen.

Akiko sniffed at us both.

Katsumi shifted her legs and asked, mid-scratch, “Before I forget, I had something I wanted to ask you.”

I eased off my numb feet for a moment. “Go ahead.”

Katsumi made marks like a metronome. “I was recently promised a number of spots from Miki for the blossom viewing. Her family makes a big deal of it. They always camp out at a nice place.”

I settled back on my legs gingerly. “I heard that about her family. What are you asking me?”

I felt pins and needles from Hell. I tried to keep as impassive as possible.

If the light wincing I made bothered Katsumi, she gave no sign of it and her pen didn’t rest.

“The blossom viewing is a vital, pride-filled, and beautiful community event. You must attend.”

The worst of the pins and needles echoed through my legs. “So… umm… you’re inviting me or something?”

Akiko blinked several times and her lids settled, only to dash open again a moment later.

Katsumi’s pen strokes became small and slow. “I’ve invited a number of people. I’d like to make it a Mecchen House tradition. We’ll see, I guess.”

I could hear a faint gust outside a window. “What about this storm that may hit us? That could wipe out the blossoms.”

Katsumi shook her head and looked me in the eye. “No matter what storm comes our way, I know the flowers will endure.”

A sudden knock rattled the door. I gingerly stood, limped over, and opened it.

Hitomi stood there with Keiko behind her.

“I need to talk to you,” said Hitomi.

I looked them over, gave a nod, and resolved, “Just a few minutes here. I’ll meet you in my room.” I gestured to the wall.

Hitomi flapped her hand with a bit of irritation but gave a nod back. “Alright, my dear sister.”

Keiko said nothing but gave a small bow.

I shut the door and limped a little quicker back to Katsumi.

“I’m gonna need to go.”

“I gathered…” Katsumi looked up at me and made a few more pen marks. “Just so you know, we’ll be wearing kimonos under the blossoms.”

I wasn’t sure if that was meant to seal the deal or dissuade me. I tapped a hand against my hip. “I’ll consider your offer… uh… thanks.”

Akiko rocked a bit, her eyes drifting closed, and the blanket clutched tight. Her head nearly settled on the pillow before she bolted up again.

Katsumi put her free hand on Akiko’s back and looked at me, remarking, “It’ll probably be Friday. Feel free to bring her along too.”

Watching Akiko, she seemed to notice that we were talking about her. Her eyes sought me, curious as to what I’d say about her next. But then, perhaps it was just my imagination.

I gave her a nod. Akiko repeated the same nod a few times.

Katsumi held her pen beside the notebook and furrowed her mouth-line. “I won’t be done with this for a little while yet. You’re not… going far again… are you?”

I rested my hands together. “I don’t intend to. Hitomi just wants to talk. Then, I figure I’ll just take a bath with Jamie and Keiko and probably go to bed after that.”

Akiko’s dusty-red eyes widened. She seemed to be listening to us, but I couldn’t tell if she comprehended what we said.

Katsumi laid her notebook down with one last little pen mark. She gave off a little grin. “Actually, that works out perfectly. I should be done with the last one and have everything backed up by bedtime. The perfect lullaby.”

To her.

Katsumi set her notebook and pen aside. “One thing before you go…”

She put together a bag of feminine products on loan for Akiko to use. Akiko stared into the bag when Katsumi handed it to her. She seemed captivated. She also let Akiko borrow the blanket for the night. With the tight grip she had on the cloth, it was a moot point.

Katsumi folded her arms in a rigid, yet flowing way. “I stuck in a few items for you as well. Maidens must be vigilant. Have a lovely bath, you two.”

I gave her a little nod and left with Akiko lingering behind me.

-----

Akiko clutched her bag of goodies close and leaned her face inside every few moments.

I poised my hand to knock on the door, then reminded myself that this was supposed to be my room. So, I just slid open the door.

Hitomi and Keiko were both seated on the floor. I turned to Keiko. I was about to ask if she could go get Jamie, when Jamie appeared behind me, the books from before in his arms. Akiko snuck to the other side of me, her bag close to her chest.

Jamie clenched his fists and threw the books down. “You again! What are you doing here?!”

Hitomi seemed to relax in the face of Jamie’s rumbling fury. Keiko wavered, nervous and fretful. She looked to me.

I stepped forward. “Hitomi. You wanted to talk to me. Speak, be done, and go.”

Her purple eyes slanted, and she blew a small breath. “I just wanted to talk to my sister. And perhaps see my sisters a moment before I went to bed.”

Jamie leaned in ahead of me. “You won’t find them HERE!”

She gazed down at her hands. “No. Not yet. But soon.”

Jamie clenched his teeth. “You… you hideous body-snatcher! You won’t win. I won’t let you!” He leapt at Hitomi, toppling her, and planting his hands on her shoulders like before. The floor creaked a moment but didn’t shudder.

Jamie almost pressed into her with his chest but quickly leaned back. His long, blond hair spilled onto the floor around the both of them.

Hitomi glanced at Jamie’s hands, planted to the floor on either side of her neck.

His arms quaked, flexing as much as his new muscles would allow.  

Hitomi looked up at Jamie and said only, “You’re so beautiful, Kimi.”

“SHUT UP!”

I was sure Katsumi could hear through the walls and perhaps the entire house as well. Akiko peeked out from her fort made of the back of my shirt.

Jamie heaved a ragged breath. “You will turn us back into boys and you will give back EVERYTHING you’ve taken away. Or else…” His arms bent inward.

Hitomi lay still on the floor. She didn’t seem the least deterred. In fact, she seemed relaxed.

“Harming me will only harm this physical body. It will only hurt Nana and, ultimately, yourselves.”

I touched Jamie by the shoulder. He didn’t look at me.

Keiko tentatively offered a touch on the other side.

After clenching his hands on the floor a few times, Jamie finally let Hitomi go.

She sat up.

Jamie shook his head. “You have done so much harm…”

Hitomi bowed her head. “I know… I accept that.” She leaned forward with her arms clutched around her legs like a ring. “The recipe didn’t go as I planned. And a few things are still… lumpy.”

Jamie smacked his legs with his fists. “LUMPY??? YOU CALL THIS ‘LUMPY’!?!” He seized upon the pronounced shape of his breasts, pulling at them. He twitched.

Hitomi smiled faintly. “No. I mean other matters. Don’t worry, I’ll deal with them soon enough.”

Jamie rumbled, “Explain!”

She stood with a whisper of sound. “Not yet. But soon.”

Jamie gave a smaller rumble. “You say that a lot.”

“Yes, I guess I do. I’ve heard it a lot.”

The rumble faded to irritation. “How about you start making sense?”

“I can’t say any more about that than I’ve already told you. But I can say one thing more. And I’ll be ‘done’.”

She looked to me. Akiko listened with the bag and blanket beside her head.

Hitomi noticed her, and her eyes flew to mine. I stared her down with my mouth-line drawn rigid. I wondered if Akiko was one of the ‘lump’s she meant.

Hitomi looked away after a moment and said, “I always loved seeing the blossoms with Toki…”

Jamie interrupted her, “You knew Toki?” Yes, this would be confirmation for Jamie, at least.

“...I... know Toki. Her blossoms are always so perfect. Well, as close as a human world can get to perfection.”

Jamie folded his arms, and Keiko listened intently.

I let the words drift into my ears as I helped Akiko set her bag to one side. She lingered near it, digging the items out like strange toys, and setting them on the blanket. Some dropped on their sides and upside-down.

Hitomi continued, “I always dreamed of reaching her level of perfection. But my blossoms were like scribbled, disembodied hands. They were… lumpy… and flawed. I crumpled them up and threw them away.”

She stopped there.

I asked, “You draw?” It felt strange that drawing would come up.

“Not anymore,” she told me. “And that’s all I have right now. Have a nice bath, my beloved sisters. If you need me, I’ll be in the room at the end.”

Before even Jamie could object, she was gone, the door shut behind her.

Jamie groaned and said, “I am so through with this day…”

Akiko tipped the bag over, and the rest of the items spilled out.

Jamie fingered his sleeves and glanced at Akiko, asking, “So, what’s her deal? Is she really… that monster thing you mentioned?”

I offered my best shrug.

I crouched beside Akiko as she turned the items over on the floor. I looked through them. Katsumi gave her a little orange brush. Aside from that, I picked out a body spray, soaps, and a shower gel scented with licorice and raspberry.

I took a towel out of the closet and put it in Akiko’s bag. She looked inside and picked up one of the items still on the floor. I shook my head and told her, “You have what you need in there.”

She appeared confused. I tried to take the item from her, but she made a loud grunt. I let go. She stared at the item, a pink spray bottle. She put it on the blanket.

Jamie sighed and inquired, “Are you sure it’s wise to get her near a tub of water?”

I expected he’d add ‘after midnight,’ but it'd been a while since I'd seen that movie and I wasn’t sure if it was that late yet. It felt even later.

Jamie pointed out, “I mean you could probably have Ms. Ishida give her a bath, and she wouldn’t mind.”

It was a good point. And Ms. Ishida had helped her earlier with no problems.

And she probably knew more about how to use these soaps than the three of us combined and I figured she’d be glad to spend time with Akiko.

With a nod, I conceded, “Good idea.”

-----

I walked with Akiko down the scented stairs to the second story. Ms. Ishida was scooping up some lint into a dust-pan in the hallway. Tara was in the hall too. She twirled around in a golden robe that matched her hair.

Tara met me.

“Hi, Keli-kun! Hello, Aki-chan!” Akiko darted behind me with her bag and blanket up like magical wards.

I returned the hello and asked, “Did you take your bath?”

Tara gave a fast nod. “Yup! Oh! I put away the dress in a drawer with a few other outfits of mine. I hope you don’t mind. I didn’t want the dress to get messed up.”

That drawer sure had to be dark, but at least the dress wasn’t lonely. Still, the idea unnerved me. “Can you tell… that dress apart from the others?”

Tara smiled. “Sure can! I put a little ribbon on the dress to make sure. I have a few outfits the same color, so I wanted to make super-duper sure for you! Is that okay?”

“Thanks, Tara. Has Ms. Ishida taken her bath yet?”

Tara shook her head.

Perfect. I explained my situation to Ms. Ishida as she scooped up another flake of lint. She listened, nodded, and quickly agreed.

“I’ll take care of everything.” She smiled at Akiko, who stared back.

I walked away. Akiko made no effort to follow me, so I didn’t linger, except to wave goodnight to Tara.

-----

Jamie and Keiko were already in the bath when I went back upstairs. I put together a few things I needed and joined them.

Jamie fidgeted with his sleeves. Keiko slipped off her pants. Her underwear was cute. Jamie slid off his socks first and avoided the mirror as he tugged on his shirt.

I encouraged him, “Come on, you’ve done this before. No worries.”

Jamie grimaced. “Not like this. I feel so nervous.”

Keiko pursed her lips and quickly took off her top and underwear. With a quick reach-behind and a shrug, she was naked before us.

She held her hands out. “There you go. If I can do it, then you’ll be okay.”

Jamie held a hand over his eyes. “Surprisingly…that doesn’t help as much as you’d expect.”

Keiko bowed, a hand cupping her chest. “Sorry…” After rinsing, she slipped into the water up to her shoulders and gave a relaxed sigh.

Jamie gulped and pulled his top over his head. He held his shirt low in his hands and looked down. He fixed a bra strap, set the shirt in a corner, and held a towel to himself.

I slipped off my shirt and flexed my shoulders a bit. The water looked quite inviting.

Keiko’s eyes were shut, and she had such a happy expression.

Jamie tugged at his waistband and slipped off his pants. He let the towel drop to cover as much as possible. I kicked off my pants and set them with my shirt.

I was about to undo the bra I was wearing, when I heard a small sound from Jamie. He’d covered his eyes with his hands. He wasn’t crying but he was crouched a little. I went over to his side.

He took a few deliberate breaths and said, muddled through his hands, “I can’t do this… I… it’s so… it’s.” He tried a few more breaths before starting again, “I feel like a raw nerve. I feel everything and I just… want to cover it all up.”

Jamie trembled, despite the towel around him and the curtain of hair at his back. He set a hand on his lower abdomen.

He gulped. “But I can’t cover it all up. And what scares me is… what I feel right now doesn’t seem as strange and disturbing as I expected. That has to be Hitomi’s doing, right?”

I had plenty I could say about Hitomi and my theories of her, but I doubted any of that would comfort Jamie. So, I just put a warm hand on his shoulder.

His shivering calmed quickly. He pulled his towel away from his chest and proclaimed, “I’m not gonna bathe long or with anything Katsumi provided. I had enough of her stuff on the first night here.”

He pursed his mouth-line and reached around for his bra. With a single motion, he slipped it off and combined it with his underwear into a ball of cloth. His towel never slipped out of place, even when he held it with a few fingers.

I did likewise a moment later, only without a towel. It felt strange standing there and surprisingly cold. I shivered a little despite the warmth still in my hands. After rinsing, I pranced over to the bath and sunk in.

All pain, desire, and fear slipped away.

I shut my eyes as well. For a moment.

Still, the thought of how things were going in the room just below us kept my gaze aimed downward. A female body rippled through the hazy water. I slipped down to my chin. The ends of my bright hair dipped like cautious fingers in the water.  

Jamie slunk into the far end of the bath, holding onto the towel till the last moment. His hands started to cling to his chest, but the warm water seemed to affect his whole body like a tranquilizer.

His hair floated around him like pale kelp. I settled next to him. He glanced over, blinking long and heavy, and said, “It’s not… bad.”

Keiko floated a little nearer and smiled.

I had considered taking this private time to share what I’d learned about Hitomi and discover what Keiko had found as well, but the moment felt so pleasant and precious.

I remained silent and floated in the still, warm water.

9