Chapter 3 – She’s My Student
476 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Math Detention

At the end of the school day, Dan double-checked his notes and hurried to a second-floor classroom to hold his first after school tutoring session. First impressions count, and I hope Rica and her friends signed up enough students.

When he entered the classroom he counted fifteen girls talking and laughing, including Nicky and Samantha.

“Hi Mr. Capra! Look, I think we signed up enough bodies for you,” said Samantha pointing at all the girls, “so, do I still have to stay?”

Dan gaped at her and the full class with a smile, “Ms. Samantha, you guys did a wonderful job, but I think you need this tutoring as much as everyone else.”

“Aww!” she cried.

Ten minutes before the class started, Dan checked the attendance sheet and noticed Rica’s signature, but no Rica. He called Nicky over.

“Hey Nicole, where’s Rica?”

Nicky blushed before answering. “Umm, we were supposed to go to the store but she went out and started talking to-” Nicky trailed off.

“Talking to who?” he asked.

Nicky closed in and whispered, “She’s outside talking to two scary looking men!”

Dan paused and nodded. “Alright, get everyone to settle down, I’ll be right back.”

“Ok!”

Loyal Dogs

Dan strolled out of the school building toward the corner store that the students frequented for breakfast and lunch. When he reached the end of the block he spotted Rica.

She stood in front of the business laughing with two men who appeared in their early thirties. A fair-skinned black guy with braids, gold teeth, and dark tattoos. On his side stood a brown-haired white guy with Celtic tattoos.

Nicole wasn’t lying about the, ‘Scary looking men.’ Dan walked toward the trio and calmly greeted Rica as he reached the corner.

“Hi Rica, make sure you’re not late for tutoring class, thanks!” he said with a smile and proceeded in their direction as if going to the store.

“Eh?” said Rica with a surprised look, “Oh, hi Mr. Capra, don’t worry I won’t be late!”

But as Dan advanced the two men with her scowled at him, and the man with Celtic tattoos stepped in between Rica and him.

“Whoa, hold up man. Let me ask you something.” He glared at Dan, “Did you come all the way out here to say that to her, hanh?”

“Yeah, what’s up with that my dude? Does she look like she’s in danger to you?” snarled the black guy, who also stepped closer to Dan.

Rica, behind the men, shifted her weight to one leg and stared at Dan, with no fear in her face.

Rica? Dan glanced at her, then tensed and shifted his stance, “Gentlemen, the young lady behind you is my student. And as my student I worry about her well being twenty-four hours a day.” He sized them up, “And that includes when she’s standing next to you two!”

Rica’s eyes widened, “Really? You’re worried about my well being, Mr. Capra?” she asked.

“Well, all things considered,” he muttered.

“Haha, do you hear this fuckin’ dude?” said the white guy to his grinning partner.

But Dan didn’t flinch.

“Bling, Ian,” Rica spoke with a soft voice, her eyes on Dan, “You boys take it easy. I like Mr. Capra, hee!”

The two men, Bling and Ian, stopped smiling. And with their gaze locked on Dan, they stepped behind Rica, as if on command. Dan watched them but remained tense, not understanding the full situation or who they were. But he knew when to cue.

“Hey Rica, did you want something from the store? We only have a minute left before class,” Dan asked.

Rica blushed and nodded, “Yes, something sweet and something salty!” she answered, glancing at Bling and Ian. “You two behave, ok~” she whispered to them.

The two men dropped their cruel faces and each whispered back to her, “Little boss.” Afterward the men walked off the corner toward a black SUV, while glaring at Dan.

And Dan glared back at them.

“Mr. Capra?”

“Yes?” Dan turned to her, “Sorry, let’s hurry.”

“Good, I know what I want!” she yelled racing into the store.

Dan followed behind her but kept his eye on Bling and Ian. As soon as they started their truck, bass music howled from the speakers. ♫ No problems, no problems, ya’ll bitches don’t want no problems ♪ blared the vulgar song lyrics as the truck peeled off with a screech into midtown traffic. Assholes, Dan thought while entering the store.

Salty

“Hey Rica, I think we should get something for everyone in the class,” Dan said, reaching for organic juices and eco-friendly cups.

“I’m way ahead of you!” Rica cried, with a basket full of chips, and candy.

“Oh, I see! Well don’t go overboard, we’re still gonna do math!” he said.

“Yes-yes, always numbers with you!” she joked vanishing down an aisle.

“Well that’s true, but only because people lie but numbers don’t lie!” he fired back.

Rica peeked at him from behind an aisle, “I like that phrase, I’ll remember it!”

Dan blushed, “Good! I’m glad I taught it to you!”

When they gathered their snacks and reached the register they stood on a short line. During the wait Dan reflected on his encounter. Those two men. The tattoos. Why would they know Rica?

“Hey Rica?”

“Yes?”

“Who were those guys with you outside?”

Holding her grocery basket, Rica turned away. “Those two, they’re loyal dogs. But sadly they're not mine.”

Dan smirked in confusion, “Dogs? Um, I beg your pardon?”

Rica reached up and grabbed Dan’s arm, “Don’t worry about them, I’m more interested in you.”

He flinched, “What do you mean?”

“Heh, I mean your background in math. Are you like a computer hacker or a genius?” she asked.

“Me? Oh, haha!” He pulled away from her, “Well yes and no. I have a degree in computer science and, don’t laugh, a minor in business accounting.”

Rica lit up, “Is that right? So you are a genius! So why are you teaching high school math?”

“What do you mean, why am I teaching math? Young lady being an educator is a noble profession!” he pouted.

“Haha, Mr. Capra. That’s not what I meant.”

Dan smirked, “I know, I’m messing with you. The truth is I’m happy when I teach and I want everyone-”

“Everyone to what? Sit in a class learning math with you, hmm?” she poked his ribs with her elbow, “You trying to save the world with numbers, yeah?”

Dan smiled, “Actually yes, or something like that! And before you sound more condescending, I’ll have you know I’m starting a nonprofit charity education pro- ”

She grabbed his arm again, “Are you for real, Mr. Capra?”

“Am I for real? What do you mean?” he asked, placing their items on the register and carefully pulling away from her grasp.

Rica grinned, “I mean, if you really had the money for a charity would you get it off the ground?”

“Oh absolutely!” he replied, “In fact, I already have the nonprofit corporation papers. I just need to-” He looked at her as she gazed at him, “Oh, sorry, I get carried away talking about this stuff,” he said red-faced.

Rica shook her head and laughed, “It’s alright with me. Now we gotta hurry back or all those girls are gonna talk about us!”

Dan grinned, “Yeah, I know. That’s why I’m feeding the class to buy their silence, heh heh!”

Last Question

As Dan and Rica rushed back to school, a question lingered in his mind concerning the two men, Bling and Ian.

“Hey Rica?”

“Yes?”

“I uh, I don’t mean to keep bringing this up, but I think it would be irresponsible-”

“What’s the question, Mr. Capra?”

“Right!” He fidgeted, “Well, concerning the two men from earlier.”

“What about them?”

“Rica, those men had prison tattoos.”

She glanced at him with a dark smile, “Did they now? And how would you know what a prison tattoo looks like?”

“Ahem! Ms. Reyes, please have faith that I’ve been around and seen some things, young lady!” he joked.

“Haha! I’m sure you have, but what’s your point?”

Dan slowed down, “My point Rica is that, given your age, and community standing, I don’t think you should associate with men like that.”

Rica snickered, “Men like what? Dangerous men?”

Dan frowned at her answer and hesitated before responding, “I didn’t say that. But Rica, is that what those men are? Dangerous?” he asked in a low voice.

“Why? You still worried about me?”

“Ms. Rica, please be serious.”

She faced forward, “Then the answer is yes.”

“Yes? Yes what?” he asked.

“Yes, Mr. Capra. Those two men you met earlier are extremely dangerous. But I wouldn’t worry about them if I were you.”

Dan slowed down, “And why is that?”

Rica walked in front of him, and glanced back at him, “Because I’ll protect you,” she said with a wink.

You’ll What? Dan tried to respond, but Rica laughed, “Ya ha!” and ran in the school with the grocery bags. Leaving him behind with his thoughts.

..This girl...

16