Chapter 14- Ride With Frank
259 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nine pm. That Night

The Glock nineteen pistol lay in a black leather holster on Dan’s couch. Lost in thought, he ignored the weapon. For there were too many questions left unanswered.

Who killed Frank’s accountant, and why? Who killed James Whittaker, and why?

The variables don’t add up.

If Frank killed his own accountant, Artie Salbon, he would’ve done it under the suspicion that Artie was stealing. But Frank didn’t have a clue that Artie was stealing until after Artie was murdered and Frank discovered the books were encrypted. So who killed Artie?

And James Whittaker? Why would Frank have him killed without finding out everything he knew about Artie Salbon’s accounts? That means maybe this Nikolai person had James Whittaker whacked to keep him quiet.

But that makes zero sense since the information was already on the book. Hell, that’s why this Nikolai person sent those cops after me to find how much information about the shell accounts were actually on Frank’s books.

Dan rubbed his eyes. None of this adds up! Who the heck had a motive to kill those accountants? Certainly not Frank. And this Nikolai person would not have killed Artie Salbon because that was his golden goose, right? Dammit Dan, unless I’m missing a variable none of this adds up.

His phone chirped. A text from Rica, “Hey, we’re downstairs.”

Dan stood up with a grimace. After all the questions he asked himself about this mystery he couldn’t answer the most important question:

Why the hell are you even involved in any of this, Dan? I mean fucking seriously, why are you doing this? You’re not an ‘infantryman’ anymore, you’re a math teacher for fuck’s sake! So why are you helping criminals? Is it because of the charity money? I’d be lying if I didn’t say yes. But that’s not the only reason, is it? Is it because of Rica?

He shook his head and glanced at the gun. No! That’s absurd! I just.

Unable to answer honestly, he evaded his own question.

Corcoran

Dan hurried out of his apartment for fear that Rica would ring his buzzer like a crazy woman. When he reached the outside of his building a stretch limousine hummed in the street. A big man in sunglasses stood by the limo waving at Dan. He recognized the big man. Baba, Frank’s bodyguard.

“Hello Mr. Dan, Frank’s waiting for you,” said Baba as he opened the rear door of the Limo.

When the door opened, Rica cheerfully hopped out, “Hi Mr. Capra!” she hugged him.

“Oh, hullo~Rica,” Dan replied, half-heartedly hugging her back.

Rica changed her outfit from earlier. She now wore a scandalous little black dress with her hair in a ponytail and fancy curled bangs. And her shoes. Is she wearing U.S. Army Corcoran jump boots?

“Do you like my dress?” She modeled for Dan with a playful twirl while ducking behind Big Baba.

Dan frowned, “Tsk, tsk, you’re still fishing for compliments, I see,” he said, stepping past Rica and into the limousine.

“Hmph!” she pouted with her arms crossed, climbing in after him.

Baba closed the door.

Limo Tint

As Dan entered the limousine, he greeted Frank, “Hello Frank!”

“Hi, Dan! Good to see you again. Have a seat there, next to Tommy.”

Dan sat across from Frank and next to another big, solid bodyguard, named Tommy. The dark-haired big man turned to Dan with a friendly demeanor.

“How ya doin, Dan. I work for Mr. Ross,” he said with a smile.

“Nice to meet you, Tommy.”

“The pleasure's all mine. Mr. Ross speaks very highly of you.”

Dan blushed, “Does he?” he turned to Frank, “Well, I’m sure Mr. Ross is being generous.”

Frank laughed, “Haha, what did I tell you, Tommy? This guy’s so modest.”

While Frank and Tommy chuckled, Rica sat down close to Frank. The big boss looked at her surprised.

“What's this? You’re going to sit next to me and not your boyfriend?”

Rica blushed, “He’s not my boyfriend.”

“Ho ho ho!” Frank laughed, “Of course not. That would be illegal, wouldn’t it? Heh heh.” As Frank chuckled he put his arm around Rica and pulled her closer to his big frame.

Dan gritted his teeth at Frank's actions, then asked a question, “So, Frank, where are we going?”

“Eh? Rica didn’t tell you?”

“She said something about a meeting with a man named Nikolai, that’s all I know. Rica never tells me much of anything,” said Dan.

“Is that right? So why are you here, Dan? Is it faith? heh heh!” Frank laughed and turned back to Rica, staring at her young tanned legs. But Rica ignored Frank and continued gazing at Dan.

Frank continued, “Yes Daniel, we’re meeting with my Lieutenant, Nikolai, in Connecticut. He seems to have some information concerning these parasite businesses that you found for me, thank you by the way.”

"No problem." So we're meeting with this Nikolai guy? But I thought Rica said Nikolai wanted to have Frank killed. So why would we be going to meet with him?

“Right,” said Dan, snapping out of his thought, “So Frank, since we have a little ride I wanted to take the time to explain more thoroughly what’s going on with your business, and I can offer you suggestions to reduce your exposure to illegal cash flows, to a limit.”

Frank smirked, “Oh? Are you trying to make me an honest businessman, Daniel?”

“Well, I mean, more legal than you currently are.”

The limo went silent, then Frank laughed, “Hahaha, Dan you’re something else, I swear! I'm so happy Rica found you. And also you'll receive a phone call from my lawyer on Monday. I need a legitimate tax-paying name for power of attorney over some of my accounts, just a formality really. This way you can have access to information, should I need you to retrieve it, Daniel.”

Dan’s eyes popped out of his head, “You gave me power of attorney? Why would you do that?”

Rica jumped up, “Always what, always why with you, Dan!” she growled. “I swear, sometimes I wonder if you are the smartest man in the room!”

“You mean the Limo, haha!” laughed Frank, as he pulled Rica back to his heavy body. He looked at Dan, “Daniel, just go with it. Because not everything in life is a question, ok.”

Dan scowled. “You people just think doing what you’re told is good enough. Well, it’s not with me. And I have questions about all of this.”

“And no one’s going to answer them here, Dan. So do yourself a favor, and enjoy the ride,” Rica barked.

Dan’s eyes narrowed to slits as he glared at her. But he kept silent. Rica locked eyes with Dan, she then turned to Frank and whispered in his ear.

Frank’s eyebrows raised hearing Rica’s whisper, “Oh? Rica? Why are you so bad?”

She blushed and faced Dan. “Because I’m not like other girls!”

“Oh no?” teased Frank, “Then who are you, really?”

With a face of pure evil, Rica stared at Dan and answered, “I’m the devil herself.”

Frank exploded, “Hahaha!” he laughed so hard his belly jiggled, “Ahhh, it’s only funny because it’s true, ho ho ho!”

Dan leered at the both of them, “I don’t know what she whispered to you. But are you two making fun of me?” he asked.

“No, no, Dan!” Frank replied, “Rica is merely poking fun at all men. For we are all, how do you say, prisoners of our own hubris? To include you, Daniel, ho ho!”

Dan lowered his eyes. Can’t really argue with that. Or maybe I can.

While cackling, Frank placed his hand on Rica’s naked thigh. Dan noticed. He also noticed Rica's sexy garter belt, as her dress hiked up in front of him.

As Frank caressed Rica’s legs, he spoke to Dan, “You know Dan. Rica here did not bring her two brute men with her and because of that I am allowed to sit close to her.” He smiled while raising his hand and gliding his fingers across her cheek. Rica turned away, but Frank gently cupped her chin, making her face him. She didn’t fight.

Dan balled his fists in rage.

Frank smiled at Dan, “Rica’s two bodyguards, they would never accept me touching her, in any way.” Frank stroked her naked arm.

Dan bit his tongue and glared hate at Frank.

“Heh heh, her two men. They’re so overprotective of Rica that they don’t even know why anymore.” He looked at Dan, “Dan, did you know when Rica was eleven years old a man tried to touch her. And Bling and Ian tracked this man down. And when they found him, Ian beat the man to death with a baseball bat. He struck him repeatedly until the man had no face. Heh heh, and from what I understand, it took the coroner weeks to identify the man.”

Dan leaned forward "What? Are you saying, Bling and Ian killed a man?" Dan turned to Rica, “Is that true?” he asked.

Rica’s eyes narrowed and she whispered, “Who knows~”

“Ha! I do, little one!” said Frank. “But Daniel here. He is different, Rica. He doesn’t want to protect you out of blind rage, like Bling and Ian. No, Dan’s reasons are different.”

“They are?” Rica asked, wide-eyed.

“Oh yes,” Frank squinted at Dan, “Dan wants to protect you for reasons he would never admit to himself. Lest his good-guy persona come crashing down, for him, but no one else, for everyone else sees the truth, hm hm hm, isn’t that right Dan?”

Dan seethed. “Frank, I think you have me mistak-”

“I do? So let me ask you Daniel, man to man. Why do you look at me with such anger when I touch Rica? Is it because you are her teacher? Or is it because you detest an old man touching a young defenseless girl? Or, hm hm hm hm, is it some other reason entirely?”

Dan paused while both Rica and Frank stared at him, bullying him, putting a battery in his back.

“I don’t know what you’re trying to imply about Rica and me, Frank, but I assure you, you are mistaken,” said Dan.

Frank smirked, “Am I, Daniel? Haha. Ah, young men make me laugh with their black and white absolutes about life. Young and foolish saying it is this and not that and trying so hard to defend their, how do you say?”

“Principles,” said Rica.

“Yes! Principles! Haha!” Frank laughed, “Until an old man, like me, pulls your card, and explains that you do not have to keep lying to yourself, Dan. As you would not be the only man in this city who succumbs to the spell of one as special as Rica.”

Dan wasn’t hearing any of it. He stood firm, “No Frank. You’re incorrect-”

“Oi Vey, Daniel!” Frank said, cutting him off. “If I am mistaken, and I am incorrect, then why, for the love of God, did you enter this vehicle with this gun?” Frank raised his left hand and revealed Dan’s Glock nineteen.

“What?” Dan yelped seeing the weapon. He immediately reached for the holster attached to his back belt. The holster was empty.

My gun is missing? He stared at the pistol in Frank's hand. How? When? Did Rica lift it when she hugged me outside of the limo? That's impossible!

Dan gaped at Rica in total disbelief and finally asked what he should have asked a long time ago.

“Rica? Who the hell are you?”

She smiled and winked at Dan, with love.

“Hahahaha! She already told you who she was Dan! She's Satan herself! And you, my friend, are naught but a mere mortal. Full of hubris, and lying to yourself! Just like me!” Frank twirled the weapon on his finger as he handed it back to Dan.

In pure shame, Dan took the Glock and placed it back in the holster on his belt. He kept his eyes down the whole time.

“Don’t take it so hard, Dan, for Rica Reyes is exceptional at what she does. Now, since we have an hour before we get to Connecticut. Can you explain to me, in layman's terms, what is happening on my books?”

Dan nodded his head, still reeling from the embarrassment of losing his weapon, and not having an answer to anything Frank asked him. But the books, the accounts. That's one area he could speak about, with great confidence, if nothing else.

“Right,” Dan replied with a deep breath and glanced at Rica, who smiled at him, “Let’s talk about your books, Frank~”

….

6