2.7
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Black dust and soot clouded the ground in smog. Ash blew through the air above darkening the sunlight. The ruins of the town sat mummified and half buried, every surface caked with grey sand. A window shook with a kick and finally crumpled away. The lock released and the intruders found their way inside.

They were met with the smell of old stale wood, bleached paper and ink. The post office was untouched with a thin layer of dust covering everything inside. The walls of half open safety deposit boxes sat empty while bins and piles of letters sat sprawled about, disregarded by the old inhabitants. Light crept through the windows dimly illuminating the interior.

Irritable hands ransacked the buildings grave, hungrily searching for a prize. Papers and envelopes ripped away from the shelves, glasses broke, furniture toppled over, crunching as wood disintegrated. Piles of discarded paper quickly filled the floor many of which held thoughts and feelings of ancient dead.

Saul paused holding a packet of papers, “this help?” he passed it Stitches who rifled through it.

“hmm,” Stitches sighed, “no,” the papers flapped as they were tossed away

Witch groaned, “we’ve been at this all day and all we found was a map of the town,” she grunted as she pried the lock on a filing cabinet, “what are we even looking for?”

Stitches thought for a moment, “some kinda can. Green. Warning labels all over.”

Angel sighed, “it’s a chemical canister about the size of a large soda bottle. The warning labels say its extremely flammable and explosive,” she quickly read through an official looking letter, “it’s also green.”

“Then why are we looking in a post office?” Saul mumbled, “chemical plant should have what we’re looking for.”

“The stuff just shipped before the city lit up,” Stitches crumpled a letter and tossed it, “we have to find some clue about where it was going.”

Witch rubbed her temples, “are we just gonna sort through every post office in town till we find something?”

Angel grinned, “won’t have to,” she proudly displayed a letter stamped with a company logo, “package left at 0200 around the time the shockwave hit. The respondent is associated with only 3 operations in this town. That leaves us with only 3 routes to search through and find the vehicle.”

Saul punched his hand, “nice! How much area is that to search?”

Angel opened an old dusty map, “mm, about 8 miles total.”

“Crap,” Saul deflated.

Witch stretched her arms, “let’s get started tomorrow, I’m hungry and tired.”

Stitches nodded, “sounds good, I think we have enough rations to stretch this a couple days.”

Angel smiled, “It’s like we’re camping! Let’s make smores when we get back!”

“Hell yes!” Saul exclaimed.

 

The dust in the air cleared somewhat, the ground below brightened and shadows became more distinct in the sun. Saul’s shield clunked with each step, hanging from his back. A box full of supplies they scavenged filled his arms. Stitches held the tools they brought on his shoulder, his other hand hanging from his pocket. Witch kicked ash in front of her as she walked, a trash bag filled with dirty sand gear sitting on her shoulder. None of them were overtly cautious as they walked. They had learned instead to rely on Angels senses to detect danger over their own. Angel walked behind them staring ahead but she wasn’t really seeing, her attention was focused entirely on listening.

The creak of wooden buildings adjusting as the ash applied its weight. The shuddering windows as sand ticked across their surface. Her and her friends’ footsteps crunching through soot, sand and crumbled concrete. The soft wind raking through the dust and carrying it along the ground. She could identify her friends solely by the noises they made. Stitches tools bumping against each other with each step. His equipment adjusting with his body as it moved. His rhythmic breathing through his nose. He was clearly deep in thought. Saul’s armor clanking as the plates passed each other. The box he carried rearranging with each bump. His breath in his nose and out his mouth. It was apparent he had picked up more weight than he could carry comfortably but was eager to prove himself. The rubber of Witch’s bag rubbing against her back. Her armored bits were remarkably quiet only slightly tapping each other with a small occasional click. The ash in front of her was kicked with each step. Her breath passed through her mask with an irritated tone.

Angel didn’t hear much else. She constantly searched for danger, remaining vigilant for the sake of her life and her friends. She smiled knowing their guards were down because of her. The trust they placed in her made her quite content to put in the extra effort.

The single floor buildings they passed only had roofs to show their existence above the ground. Some were smashed open and the insides buried with sand. The buildings that stood above the sand were made of brick, most of them lacked walls only having their supports left. Occasionally they would pass a vehicle sitting crooked in the dust, completely rusted out with windows broken. The outline of their apartment began to show through the smog in the air.

Angel picked in her ear. It felt like it was clogged. She sighed, closed her nose and blew to relieve the pressure. She felt some relief but stumbled a bit accidentally blowing too hard. She caught herself but accidentally bumped Witch. She stood with a grimace adjusting her bow on her shoulder. She prepared for an irritated rebuke.

Witch turned towards her scowling. Suddenly her eyes went wide and she dropped the bag. Before it hit the ground her saber unsheathed and she held it in front of her with both hands.

“Wh-What?” Angel stuttered, “I-Im sorry, I didn’t mean to,” she was perplexed. She never expected such aggression from Witch over something so trivial.

Witch threw an elbow into Stitches side. Her eyes were unblinking, her hands slightly shook.

Stitches yelped and turned, “The fuck is your pro-“ the tools were flung away and in an instant his weapons were off of his waist. His finger sat on the trigger. His knife was grasped firmly in the hand supporting his aim. His eyes stared coldly, his jaw clenched together.

The sharpness of them made Angel twitch, “H-hey what’s going on? I’m s-sorry ok? It… It was an accident. I promise,” her hands fidgeted with each other, “Stitches?...” Angel looked behind her.

Hundreds of eyes reflected Angel’s face back to her. They were pitch black, clustered together like bunches of grapes hanging from pale skin. Beneath, an open maw of jagged red tinged teeth sat open and waiting. Blood tinged drool leaked between the gums and dripped onto the sand beneath. A thin tongue hovered vibrating in the air.

“Huh…” Angel mumbled, “What is…” She felt her collar get tight against her throat as she was grabbed and thrown back by Witch.

Witch screamed as she swung her saber. She was interrupted by a swipe of a claw sending her ricocheting off a buried building.

Stitches fired rapidly at the creature. A couple of its eyes closed shut before it let out a horrid screech.

Angel flinched and covered her ears.

It sank onto its back legs and pounced towards Stitches. Its crooked hands full of talons reached out towards him.

Stitches dodged but it wasn’t enough.

The claw sparked as it met Saul’s shield with a resounding clang. It reared back and attempted a jab. Saul responded with a stab of his swords.

The creature sunk back but was not discouraged.

Stitches helped angel to her feet and pulled her behind him and Saul.

The creature stared intently. Its face pointed at them while it slowly circled. Its crooked grin snapped shut and it sat on its haunches continuing to observe. Its tail swung back and forth. The body remained still.

None of them blinked. Their weapons sat readied in their hands.

The creature looked vaguely cat like in nature. Its skin was pale with stains of ash and blood. Its head lacked any features besides its clusters of eyes and a massive mouth. Its arms appeared to be human but overly long with horrid talons. Its boney tail twirled behind it playfully.

Witch groaned as she stumbled from behind the building. She caught her breath and quickly ran over finding her place with the group.

Saul adjusted his stance as the creature leaned to get a different angle on them, “You ok?”

Witch wiped some blood from her eye, “Cuts and bruises, I’m fine,” she adjusted her bandana around her neck, “The hell is this thing?”

“Mutant,” Angel muttered, “A full mutant… Right in front of us…”

“If you get excited, I’m using you as bait,” Witch grumbled.

“We’re in lots of danger right now,” Angel half smiled, “This can’t be happening… I should have heard it from miles away but its right here…” her hand grasped her hair, “Its impossible. It defies logic. Is this a nightmare?”

“Angel,” Stitches barked, “How do we kill this thing?”

“I… don’t think we can,” Angel’s grip tightened on her bow, “We’re outmatched.”

Saul grit his teeth, “What the hell do we do then? Cut the shit and think something up!”

The creature jumped to its feet. The group collectively stiffened and readied themselves. The creature slowly hopped onto a buried building and continued to circle. The group moved with the creature trying to create distance, their weapons pointed forwards.

Angel shook her head clear, “We have to prove to it that we’re not worth the effort. If it shares similar behavior to a wild animal, it might decide to find easier prey.”

Witch dropped her coat, a dark mist began to manifest on her skin, “Fine then,” she stretched her second arms, “lets burn this fucker with everything.”

“No!” Stitches exclaimed, “not everything. If we exhaust ourselves completely, we’re screwed.”

“We’re already screwed,” Witch snapped back, “If it wants to eat me, it’s got to earn it.”

Stitches thought for a moment, “Me and you, lets rip into this thing. Saul, you cover us and keep it distracted.”

Saul flinched but gave a weak nod.

“Angel, keep us fighting and shoot its eyes from a distance, if you get its attention just run and hide while we piss it off again,” said Stitches.

Angel tightened her archery glove, “Don’t overextend yourselves. It will easily kill you if it pins you down.”

“Ok… let me think… maybe if we can lure it into some taller buildings…” Stitches pondered.

The creature didn’t wait. It began trotting towards them, its claws raking the ground.

“Oh shit! Here we go!” Stitches exclaimed.

The group spread out, Stitches and Witch moving for the mutant’s sides while Saul tightened his position with his shield. Angel quickly ran and climbed into the remains of a brick building, her bow jumping from her shoulder into her hands.

The snaggled grin widened as its head rapidly looked back and forth. Its many eyes focused and calculated each target as its face darted between them. It flattened its body and sprung towards Witch with a ferocious growl.

Witch gasped before gritting her teeth and filling the air between them with flames. Her body twitched as she expected to be sent flying through the air once again.

Fire slipped off its hide and dissipated into the air. It hesitated slightly rearing back but its claws were determined to cut her apart.

Saul slammed his bodyweight into the side of the creature following with a stab of his swords.

Knocked off balance, its arms slammed into the ground to right itself before it turned towards Saul with slash.

Saul’s shield made a horrid screech as he was picked off his feet and flung back, tumbling over the ash. He quickly righted himself and pulled his shield from the ground, “Holy-“

He was cut off as his sight was filled with an angry charging mutant.

An otherworldly scream rung out as a jolt ran through the creature’s body through a newly cut open wound. Stitches dashed between its feet quickly removing himself from the reach of the claws.

Its attention turned but quickly found its eyes being pelted by arrows. It let out a yelp, a blind swing and then jumped away.

“Group up!” Witch yelled.

The group quickly ran for each other. They met at Angels building, Stitches and Witch almost running into Saul as they flew to his sides.

The mutant paced around behind some buildings farther away than before. Its grin crooked with frustration; it growled a guttural roar as drool dripped from its maw. Its eyes darted hungrily between the ruined buildings. Some blood trickled down its face from where Angels arrows had found their home. It had far too many eyes to count, blinding it would be impossible.

            It paused in its tracks staring towards them.

            Angel aimed an arrow and let it fly.

            The creature ducked and shot away from the ground underneath it leaving a large cloud of sand. It bounded towards them ferociously, its eyes filling with blood.

            The trio didn’t have time to think. They spun away diving for cover in the brick structure. Witch and Stitches turned, manifesting energy in their hands for a defensive strike. As they unleashed fire and lightning the creature stopped short and pounced upwards.

            “Angel!” Stitches yelled.

            The building above them was turned into powder in an instant. Falling chunks of wood and concrete panged against Saul’s shield as he held it upwards. Angel’s body hit the ground with a thud. She pushed up, shakily righting herself and clearing dust from her face. As she caught her breath the wind was knocked out of her once again by Witch tackling her to the ground.

            A monstrous form flew over them, its talons stabbing the sand next to their heads. It gripped the ground and slowed its momentum, turning and coming to a stop.

            Saul groaned as a large chunk of brick and concrete was pulled away from his leg. He crawled out from the rubble and used his shield to climb his way to his feet. He grimaced as he began to hobble forward.

            Stitches dropped the heavy mass and dashed out to Witch as she attempted to pull Angel back to her feet.

            She coughed and sputtered as she weakly attempted to get her legs underneath her.

            Stitches got under her shoulder and quickly pulled her up.

            Angel wrapped him in her arms and leaned her forehead on his neck. Her tangled sandy hair drooped down his back as she struggled to pull air in.

            Saul’s shield slammed the ground as he took position and used it to take weight off his leg. Witch took his side readying for the next attack. Her saber steady in front of her, hands filling with sputtering clouds of blackness.

            The mutant flattened for a pounce but hesitated. Instead, it trotted forwards. Its claws bit into the ground and quickly flung heaps of ash towards them in a blinding cloud.

            “No you fucking-!” Witch flung bursts of fire haphazardly in front of them.

            Saul let out a scream as he was ripped away from the ash beneath him.

            Two rows of jagged teeth gripped his forearm. His armor cracked and bent under the pressure of the bite. The monster landed and Saul plunged his legs into the ground righting himself.

            Saul reached for his swords and swung into the creature’s neck. The flesh was tough and unyielding, bleeding only a little in response to his struggle.

            The mutant responded by placing both hands onto Saul’s chest and applying its full weight on top of him. He found himself pinned to the ground unable to breath. His free arms grabbed at the monster attempting anything to free himself.

            It began to pull. Saul opened his mouth to scream but nothing came out. His face contorted in horror realizing the thing was attempting to rip his arm off.

            “Hold on!” Witch screamed as she charged forward. Saber at her waist and arms filling with blackened mist she intended to incinerate the monsters face until its eyes melted or it let go.

            The mutant suddenly spun, yanking Saul to his feet. He gasped the air, shakily righting himself. The thing sunk back lowering itself down and drawing its limbs in underneath it. It positioned Saul between itself and Witch, using him as a barrier.

            “Wha-?“Witch growled frustrated as she attempted to find an opening to attack.

            The creature slowly inched back skillfully keeping Saul in harm’s way between an increasingly angry Witch.

            Angel choked, “Leave me. Help Saul.”

            Stitches hesitated before lowering her down to her knees and running for the monster’s side. His knife was readied to make an opening in its flesh as his hands eagerly crackled with electricity.

            The mutant twitched, its eyes suddenly following Stitches. Its hips bucked up before lashing out and planting its heel directly into his chest.

            The knife spun through the air as Stitches flew back into the dirt clutching his chest. He slowed his stop and attempted to push himself up before collapsing back down, his face twisted in agony.

            Angel groaned as she unholstered her revolver, Something! Anything!, she managed to steady her aim on a bundle of eyes. They flinched closed as the shot rang out.

            Saul gripped and struggled against the creature’s mouth. It was unyielding against his efforts. As the popped cluster above him dripped fluid onto his face he quickly realized the better strategy and started to wildly punch at the eyes staring into him.

            Witch let out a yell and sprinted in. She would burn the creature to ash completely uncaring of whatever blow she would have to take to do it.

            The thing growled angrily and jumped to its feet with a screaming Saul.

            Witch’s arms went wide with a satisfied grin. She finally had a perfect angle.

            Her attack was interrupted as Saul’s flying body slammed into her. Her legs went out from under her as she fell into the ash. She quickly grabbed Saul’s shuddering shoulder intending to cruelly throw him away from her.

            Instead, the creatures weight slammed down onto both of them, forcing a painful scream out of her mouth. Her arms flew out in front of her to defend her face. They quickly became locked in a jagged maw. It leaned in ready to throw its momentum back and rip her arms from their sockets.

            A burst of flashing sparks across its face caused it to flinch for only a second before its mouth became consumed in black flames. Witches terrified face screamed silently as she unleashed everything she had.

            A shrill screech echoed past their ears as the monster flung its face into the sand pushing itself along and cramming dust into its burns. It rolled its face along the ground eventually throwing its whole body in and spinning across the ash, tilling a large cloud of dust into the air. It jumped back to its feet slowly turning towards them.

            Stitches was the only one halfway standing on trembling legs. He fired wildly towards the beast with one outstretched arm, his other grasping his chest.

            The monster let out an irritated grunt and bounded away.

            Stitches waited; his pistol still outstretched in the creature’s direction as it disappeared into the smog. His teeth grit together, flicking spit as he drew each raspy breath. About a minute passed before his pistol dropped from his hand and he collapsed into soft ash beneath him.

0