BaoBao’s Origin 1
654 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Luna regained consciousness and found herself back in the black claustrophobic space.

"Is it always like this here?" Luna looked at BaoBao who was in the space with her instead of talking to her through telepathy like the first time they met.

BaoBao looked around the seemingly empty space. "Seems like it..." 

"It can't be changed?"

"This space is supposed to reflect the host's heart. I've never heard of it changing its appearance before."

"So my heart's black?"

"I don't know. I don't know how I should interpret it but I don't think that's the case."

"Doesn't matter then." Luna had only asked about it in passing. "By the way, do you know what happens in the rest of the story?" Luna was curious if the final obstacle for the lead couple changed since the leader was apprehended.

"Yes I do. I will know everything along with the results of your performance."

"So?"

"That lecherous leader was actually a spy from the other country that Zhang Yong was tracking down. He regained consciousness on the way to prison, broke free, then took the chance when Zhang Yong was focused on you to return to his country and complete his mission. Afterwards, war broke out, he colluded with Zi Yao to obtain Hui Shan among the chaos. Wang Wei found out about Zi Yao's betrayal, so Zhang Yong kills her. They then defend the border successfully and save Hui Shan."

"How blessed the female lead is. It's not even one hero saving a damsel in distress."

BaoBao nodded.

"It's possible that if not for me, that spy wouldn't even have been caught."

"Mm." BaoBao agreed.

There was silence while Luna waited for him to continue on with the results. She soon realised that BaoBao was not going to say anything until she probed.

"Why aren't you moving on to the results?"

"You didn't ask for it."

Luna simply raised an eyebrow in response.

"It's a B... We only scrapped past the flogging event and although we managed to escape the marriage, we still died after being played with." BaoBao sighed. Only when hosts get an S grade would they be noticed by the administrators immediately. Otherwise, they would need to constantly get A grades before they would be noticed. Those scoring any poorer than that would be left alone and the system would take very long before it could advance into a higher grade system.

"That's true." Luna nodded.

BaoBao was already sad himself. He was afraid that Luna who did all the hard work was upset and disappointed too. He witnessed first-hand how much effort she put into training to become stronger and outwit the plot. So he tried to comfort her.

"Well, the soul was still pacified because it was not some weak powerless person anymore and we lived freely and happily for a good 5 years in the wild!"

"Mm." Luna agreed with him.

"So- So... Don't mind the grade! I believe we did great and that the original soul must be really happy with us!"

Luna finally realised that he was trying to comfort her. She slightly raised an eyebrow and told him, "Just so you know, I'm fine, I did whatever I could already. That's it."

BaoBao was speechless. He had felt so down but here she was receiving it like another boring piece of information.

BaoBao felt conflicted.

Systems were very advanced beings and developed with a lot of intelligence. They were able to run a lot of calculations simultaneously and make deductions based on every single research ever done before. They found ways to transverse time and space. Quantum physics and what not were no longer an issue for them. However, there was only one thing they never bothered with. Feelings and emotions. They labelled it as random variables that screw up predictions and results from time to time. It was regarded as a useless thing to have.

He only labelled Zhang Yong as "interested" in her because he compared his observations with his database. The number of times Zhang Yong met her far exceeded the probability of his chance meetings with Luna. This meant that he was finding her on purpose. The behaviours Zhang Yong exhibited mirrored the data on humans chasing after something they want. This was why BaoBao was impressed by Luna's judgement that Zhang Yong was not interested in her and could not be relied on. He had sent in this information to the administration to help improve future calculations and predictions.

BaoBao wanted to advance to become a higher grade system as soon as possible but that was dependent on their host's performance. He felt like the logical and normal thing to do was to abandon her now. Her nonchalant behaviour was telling him that the probability of her succeeding was lower than half. However, he did not want to abandon Luna. He had fun with her and experienced other more complicated but often nice feelings.  He felt warm when he looks at how much hard work she put into her tasks. 

Maybe my data will be proven wrong again. I'll just stick to her. BaoBao secretly decided by himself. He blamed the administrators for being blind to her efforts and for giving her a lower grade than she deserved.

Suddenly, he received a message from the administrators. BaoBao momentarily freaked out as he thought that the administrators heard his thought. However, he shouted in joy when he read the message. "Our grade got changed to S!!!"

Luna was surprised. "Could grades change like this?"

"No, this is the first time this happened! Thanks to our good performance, they allowed me to share certain information with you to aid in your understanding of how our grades seem to work differently in our case!"

Suddenly, BaoBao stopped and simply stared at Luna. She still looked as calm as ever.

"Go on and share the information with me."

"Why don't you seem happy? Aren't you happy?" BaoBao was confused. Does she really not care about anything?

Luna got more confused than him. "Happy about?"

"Our S grade. They praised us. I praised you."

"Oh. I'm glad that you got the recognition you wanted BaoBao! Well done!" Luna smiled gently and praised him too. Luna felt more surprised than she was happy. This was the first time she received such an exceptional result. She did not dare to believe it.

BaoBao sulked a little. "I wasn't asking to be praised... Ah, forget it. I'll tell you about my purpose now. Originally, the missions we receive are always related to fixing major problems that different world's consciousness face. For example, resolving a bug that infiltrated into the world or when the second female lead or some other major character died with too strong a grievance. Things like that cause too much of a disturbance in the world's consciousness which could cause the world to crumble and cease to exist."

"So... the world's consciousness thing is like some god story writer who has to keep the balance or dies with the world? And you're part of some... even more godly entity?"

"If that helps you understand, you can think of it that way."

"And all of you save those worlds for the fun of it?"

"Sort of? We don't need them but the more worlds that exist, the more data we can gather. It's beneficial for us if they survive. Also, the more stable the worlds are, the easier it is for us to transverse time and space. The destruction of worlds create black holes and warps things."

Luna nodded to indicate for him to continue with his explanation.

"A department was recently started to deal with the grievances of side unknown characters that gained a consciousness of their own within the world. Although the disturbance they cause is not anything significant, it's like being bothered by a persistent fly buzzing around your face. It affects the stability of the world and creates loopholes for bugs to even happen. However, this matter is quite tricky. If hosts do well and outdo the original leads and second leads, it forces a creation of another main character which absorbs the power of the world's consciousness. It may worsen the situation, it may not. What happened in our case is that we appeased the original soul yet did not upset the world's balance. We did our job perfectly in a sense. That was why a B performance like ours will receive an S ranked evaluation by the world's consciousness." 

"So... my inability to create exceptional results will lead to an exceptional result due to the situation we are in?" Luna clarified.

"You got it!"

Luna realised that BaoBao was not bringing up the system market he mentioned by accident in the past. She inferred that she could not get that information yet so she asked him to send her to the next world.

Could it be that my plain average life would start to change from now on?

At the same time, BaoBao was secretly thinking to himself. What stingy administrators... They still want to confirm the worth of this department before opening up resources for us to use. Humph!

"Ready to be sent to the next world?"

"Will I know which world I'll be sent to?"

BaoBao pouted. "You could have but not now." This was all he could share. He then encouraged Luna. "Just keep up the good work and I can guarantee you that things will get better!"

"Alright, just get on with it then." 

BaoBao put in the request to be assigned to the next world and Luna felt the same hard and painful tug on her soul that knocked her out cold again.

BaoBao pursed his lips when he saw her face contort a little in pain just before she disappeared from the space.

Ah... I forgot to remind her of the pain...

16