Chapter 35: Farewell
219 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“MMmmghhh!! Mmmghh!!”

A rod of some sort was placed in between my mouth and I couldn’t speak. Similarly, my entire body was bound. I tried shaking away the restraints but I couldn’t, Tigurka had tied me up with his magic.

“Stop struggling. I won’t let you go until you hear me out.”

I won’t stop struggling. Even I know that I can’t break these restraints but as long as there’s a chance to cut myself then it’ll be worth it.

“Mirgh Mghlasmgh.”

Shit, even my mana was sealed. I need to think of another way to make myself bleed.

“Gosh, is every child I raise going to have a screw loose in their head or something.”

Tigurka slaps my cheeks and it was incredibly painful. It felt like I was running at full speed and slammed into a wall. My cheeks were burning in pain and I’m sure it's swollen.

“Hahaha, that’s more like it, brat! You don’t listen to me then I’ll spank your ass next!”

I quiet down and stop struggling. The pain I felt on my face would feel ten times worse on my butt.

With a grin so big you could see his teeth, Tigurka sits down on the ground. Instead of sitting down on his usual chair he sits down on the ground with his legs crossed. Using the binds on me, Tigurka forces me to sit on my knees. We were now at eye-level.

Tigurka was staring straight into my eyes. I feel like everything inside of me was being revealed to him. I look back into his eyes and I see a deep emptiness. It was like I was staring into the vastness of space.

“Good, you’ve finally stopped thinking about harming yourself. The moment I even see a glimpse of you trying to harm yourself then I’ll hurt you before you can hurt yourself. That’s your goal, right? Do you think I’m scared of you harming yourself? Who the hell do you think I am? I AM TIGURKA!!”

Even without the restraints, the pressure coming off of Tigurka is enough to stop my heartbeat. His voice was ringing through my ears and I couldn’t resist it.

“I’ve lived over 10,000 years! Do you think I’m that weak to want help from a little wimp like you!? I’ve experienced more things then you’ll ever in your lifetime: the birth of children, the death of children, the birth of a village, or the end of a village. Do you think I don’t understand what death is? Are you underestimating me that much? How laughable!!”

This was the first time I’ve ever seen Tigurka so angry.

“Let me tell you. If I’ve decided to die, then it’s my decision and my decision alone. No one will ever change it. How arrogant of you to think that you can decide my life for me. IT IS MY LIFE!!!”

My restraints were released but I don’t move. Was I really being arrogant? I-I just wanted to save Tigurka. I’ll feel sad if he dies.

“You damn brat!! I don’t even have to read your mind to know what you are thinking. You’re probably thinking you want to save me, aren’t you? Do I need your saving!? Am I a damsel in distress!? Go eat your own butt!”

“But I just want you to live longer. Is it so wrong to want to see someone I care about to live a long healthy life.”

“Then are you saying I haven’t lived a long healthy life? I’m over 10,000 years old and you don’t even know a smidge of what I’ve lived through. Don’t even think about trying to save me while you can’t even protect your own allies. While you’re stuck here, what’s happening to your allies outside. They could be dead for all you know and you’re still trying to save an old man like me. Get your priorities in order!”

“B-but…”

“No, buts. Let me give you a word of advice as someone who has ruled over others. There are some you can’t save and there are some you can save. You must make sure you protect as many as you can while sacrificing as little as possible.”

Is this really the only way? I don’t want to abandon Tigurka at all.

“This is the reality of life, Jude. I’m already near death’s door. Please grant my wish and end my life for me. I don’t want to live off of your blood for a few extra years. There’s nothing here for me now, the villages and my people aren’t here anymore. They have all grown and evolved without my help. I’m an unnecessary being in this era.”

My heart’s aching. I want to fulfill his wish but I want him to live. I can’t decide what to do. My feelings are in a jumble.

The tears were pouring and my voice wouldn’t come out. I couldn’t control my emotions anymore. They were running rampant and trying to escape from my body.

“I don’t want you to die, Tigurka!!! I want to honor your wish! I-i-i don’t know what to do!!!”

“Good, scream it out! Let all your emotions out!”

“How can you be so calm!? Aren’t you scared of death!? Every single person precious to me has always been suddenly taken away by death: my parents, my grandparents, and my friends. How can you willingly choose to die! I don’t understand! I just want you to live and I know I’m being selfish. Is it so wrong to want someone precious to me to live longer!”

Tigurka comes and hugs me. His body was hard but it felt so warm.

“It’s fine to be selfish but remember that death is just as selfish. Creating life is a choice that every creature is given so enjoy those moments because death can take life away at any time. As a human, your lifespan is shorter than mine so you should enjoy life to the fullest. I’ve had my fill of creating and taking care of life. The seeds I’ve sown throughout my time have bloomed in lands far beyond what I can see. I’m not afraid of death because I know there will be those who will remember me. I can pass away happily knowing that you were here to enjoy your time with me till the end. So send me off with a big laugh, Jude. Send me off with all your emotions bursting out so I’ll never forget it even in the afterlife.”

I don’t quite understand Tigurka but I have to do this for him. It’s his final wish.

“Hahahaha!!! I don’t want you to die, Tigurka!! It hurts!! It hurts!!! I’ll kill you, then! I’ll kill you with a smile! Hahahahaha!!!”

“Good laugh, Jude! Give me a happy farewell!”

The only thing I can do for Tigurka is to laugh for him. Even if I have to force it, I’ll laugh for him. The tears continue to stream down my face but I continue to laugh. I have to give him a memory he’ll never forget. If he’ll continue on with me in my memories then I’ll continue on with him in his memories.

I wipe my tears and leave Tigurka’s embrace as I stare at the yellow boulder. Tigurka will die once I destroy this. It’s a different shape from mine but it’s definitely his mana pool. He’s been trying to get me to kill him from the very beginning. Maybe his goal was to die even when he made that deal with Fifi.

I’ll fulfill his final wish. I’ll make this the most amazing farewell he’s ever seen in his life. Blowback Bullet won’t destroy it, I need stronger magic. Something that will shatter the boulder in one go. Words were appearing in my head. It feels like these were words were coming from the very depths of my soul.

“Neither a friend, neither a family, but a teacher I’ll never forget. He who taught me all about magic, he who taught me about his past, and he who taught me all about farewells. It was merely a week we’ve known each other but let his name never be forgotten. For generations to come, his name will become the strength for us to persevere in the future. TIGURKA!!!”

Massive golden tendrils appear around the boulder before piercing into it. Hundreds of tendrils easily pierce straight through the shells of the boulder. This is my farewell to Tigurka.

A brand new magic that appeared from deep inside me. Golden tendrils, no, golden roots to symbolize the roots he has embedded into me. The knowledge and experience he has passed on will become the foundation for me to grow stronger.

Looking back at Tigurka, he was smiling. The golden room around us was shattering and the sun was shining through the cracks. The sun was just beginning to rise and the lights pierced through the cracks. Tigurka’s entire being was shining before my eyes.

“Hahaha, that’s a good name for your magic! It seems you’re still being reckless with your mana. You better be careful or you’ll join me in the afterlife. HAHAHAHA!!!”

“Yeah, I’ll be careful.”

My magic, Tigurka, was depleting my mana pool instantly and it was only thanks to Tigurka’s power that I’m regenerating mana fast enough to maintain my magic. The process of depleting and regenerating has probably occurred over a hundred times within these few seconds.

“Farewell, Jude.”

“Goodbye, Tigurka. Thank you for everything you’ve taught me.”

“No problem. Live a fulfilling life. Oh, and be more selfish! Humans have a short life so be as selfish as you want. If there’s a girl you like, make her your wife. If there’s a treasure you want, take it. If you want to protect someone then protect them. Be more selfish! HAHAHAHA!!!!”

Tigurka’s body fades away as he laughs. What’s with that advice? Hypocritical isn’t it? I wanted to protect you but you didn’t let me protect you! Haaah, I guess that’s what I should have expected from Tigurka.

“Farewell, Tigurka.”

6