003. The Best Alchemist
1.8k 6 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"With my knowledge of technology in my previous life, I could definitely become the best alchemist in Gaia."

"But to become the best alchemist that is not bound by the state, I have to have a network that is not controlled by one country only. That being said the easiest one is to become a knight of 10th division as they also work independently in trade-related issues under the patronage of Union Guild. If I become a knight in their division, I will know which markets are suitable for certain magic devices."

Selina who was lying on her bed muttered softly.

"How do I persuade Mom to let me become an alchemist like Uncle?" Selina muttered again.

A week has passed since Selina remembered her previous life. Since then she has been trying to get permission from Diana to study to become an alchemist. However, Diana opposed it because she was still too small.

"I must try on my own first to become an alchemist. The easiest way is to practice directly," Selina said.

Selina got up from her bed and walked toward the kitchen which was on the first floor. She sneaks like a cat who wants to steal a fish. Seeing the kitchen was empty - this was a break time for the servants, Selina entered.

Selina searched for a lighter or ignitorem to experiment. Ignitorem is shaped like a little stick around five inches with the pommel become storage or chamber for mana stone. Ignitorem is one of the magic devices that people in this world used to start a fire every day in their household for cooking or any other activities that needed it. Magic devices, on the other hand, are enchanted gadgets that are made to make human life easier and powered by mana stone.

Mana stone is a stone that can power human-made devices and obtain by mining from a place that has Mana roots, this mana roots appearing by itself so in the past people are going to fight for the place that mana roots exist. Now in a peaceful era, mana stone is predominantly imported from the Forestaria Allied Federation.

The reason for ignitorem being invented is because not everyone in this world has an affinity with Fire Element, so cooking, baking, smithing, and many more activities will be difficult if at all times the fire must be ignited manually by rubbing two stones to produce sparks.

After finding what she was looking for, Selina sneaks back to go to her room. Selina's house is a two-story mansion where Selina's room is on the top floor. Selina turned her head to the right and left to make sure no one was watching her sneak from the kitchen to her room.

Selina immediately entered her room and locked the door. She then sat in front of her desk and opened one of the drawers on the table. From the drawer, Selina pulled out a book, a screwdriver, and an inscriber. Inscriber is a tool for writing and deleting runes. Inscriber is not a magic device because to write or delete runes the user needs to insert their mana into the inscriber.

"Okay. Let's do it!" Selina said excitedly.

Selina tied her long hair into a ponytail. After making sure her hair was neatly tied up, Selina opened the book she had pulled out. This book is a book about runes. Written in the title section is "RUNES IN GAIA." She took this book secretly from his mother's private library.

Selina starts by opening the outer frame of the ignitorem with a screwdriver slowly. After succeeding, she noticed what runes were written on the inner frame of ignitorem. Inscribed on the inner frame of ignitorem are fire rune, also called kaunaz rune and manifestation rune or mamnaz rune.

"Hm... According to this book, it seems like the conclusions I got about these two runes are true. What is written on ignitorem is kaunaz and mamnaz runes. It seems easy enough. I just need to delete the kaunaz rune and replace it with the thurisaz rune to turn it into a magic device that functions just like a stun gun."

"Let's start the experiment!" Selina said excitedly.

Picking up the inscriber, Selina poured her mana which is still unstable into the inscriber. Slowly she erases the kaunaz rune. After succeeding she then again poured her mana to write thurisaz. Slowly but surely Selina finally succeeded in writing the thurisaz rune on ignitorem.

Selina took a deep breath and reattached the outer frame of ignitorem. She was so focused that she failed to realize her mother already standing behind her with a dark, gloomy aura like cloudy weather before a thunder rain surrounding her. Diana opened Selina's locked door using the spare key she had.

"Lina!" She shouted with a vigorous voice and an arm on each side of her waist.

"Waaah! Mo… Mom…" Selina screamed in surprise then continued the conversation that sure will begin.

"Mom can you not startle me from behind like that?"

"No can do! And not even a chance, young lady. Are you already forget what I said last night? You can't inscribe runes into a gadget without a proper mana control. It can lead to an accident," Diana scolded her only daughter.

"But… This time I succeeded, Mom!" She hesitates for a bit then argues back.

*Sigh*

A sigh came from Diana, after which she took a deep breath to get ready to explain what she had told Selina for several times.

"You can't, Lina darling. You're only four years old, your mana is not stable yet. You even not yet have your Signum Ceremony," Diana said trying to be patient.

"How about you wait until you're going to school and learn how to control your mana and using magic when you're six, all right?" persuaded Diana.

Diana then knelt to match her height with Selina. Her hand gently stroked Selina's light brown hair. Diana smiled slightly at Selina, from her smile Selina could feel a deep affection for herself.

"But it's still too long, Mom. I have to wait two years to go attend school and wait another year to have my Signum ceremony," pouted Selina.

Even though Selina's soul is in her teens, for some reason Selina can't refuse to behave like a four-year-old child. Maybe because she wants to be spoiled by her parents in her current life. In her previous life, she was an orphan, she was left in front of the orphanage when she was but a baby and didn't know much about the world.

"I want to become the best alchemist as soon as possible," Selina sulkily said.

Alchemists are people that made enchanted gadgets or magic devices. Selina as a child admires her Uncle who is an alchemist himself. Ignitorem that she was fiddling just now is one of his creations. You can see there is an emblem of the head of a lion, identified as Leo Zodiva, her Uncle's name. She already admired the way he's working inside his workshop, he's so focused even when Selina trying to call him with a loud voice it seemed like her voice did not reach his ears as he keeps on working.

"There is no instant way to become an alchemist, my darling Lina. First, you must have prior knowledge about magic devices before you aimed to become an alchemist. Second, you have to create a frame that matches the function of the gadget you want to create. Then you have to learn how to control your mana so you can inscribe runes into the gadget's frame, even more so you needed an extreme level of mana control or else it will lead to an explosion. At last placing mana stone into a chamber that connected to the runes, well maybe it's the only thing you can do right now." Diana sighed for who knows how many times then shrugged.

"You don't even know about magic devices. You have to know the proper combination of runes, then what type of metal, wood, glass, and other materials that can work together without clashing with runes that you used. Also choosing the right type and size of mana stone that can power the device is a must or else the device will explode or even doesn't work at all," Diana explained to Selina.

Selina keeps her head and sights downward to her shoes. Diana knows Selina's personality and this one is her stubbornness that she inherited from Diana. Both of them refused to give up their opinion of what is best. The fruit does not fall far from the tree can describe this pair of mother and daughter. Seeing that it's not working, Diana can only postpone their argument for later.

"Go down now. Let's have lunch together. Your Dad already waiting on the dining table downstairs and keep whining why his beautiful daughter not there yet" Diana smiled.

"I also made your favorite mango pudding as dessert."

"Pudding? Mango pudding? Yay! I love you, Mom." Selina smiled as she ran towards the stairs before kissing both her mother's cheeks.

"But our argument is not finished yet," shout Selina from downstairs.

Diana can only let out a wry smile for her daughter's behavior. Then she also goes downstairs to eat with her family.

35