Chapter 8: Il Minjoon
1.1k 5 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Hae Gi was tending their small garden, Minjoon was sitting beneath the tree looking at the doorway.

 

He was thinking of a plan to make himself stronger. Strong enough to protect both of them. He suddenly thought of his father but decided against it. If that father of his could bear to be absent starting the day Minjoon was born, then he was sure that he wouldn't even bother with this.

 

As he was staring at the door, he saw the same man that always frequents this courtyard. He wore a black armor embossed with gold linings. On his right, a long sword tasseled with a blood red cloth can be seen dangling on his side. He stood for a while, looking at his mother then to him. His obsidian eyes bore at Minjoon, then he nodded and left.

 

Minjoon thought that the man looked strong. Soon after, he realized.

 

 

That's it!

 

 

After they had lunch, Minjoon told his mother that he'll go out for a while then ran off. He was out to find the soldier.

 

He searched in the gardens, the hallways, the ponds, but he couldn't find the man. About two hours have passed since then.

 

He walked along the hallway dejected, that man was nowhere to be found. He gazed at his right as he saw a room with a huge window. In front of the window, a tall acacia tree stood. Minjoon thought of it as rare. The trees that he saw outside was always full of cherry blossom, there were no acacia trees in sight. The only tree that he saw was at their courtyard, and now... here.

 

He stopped walking, then he shuffles closer to the tree. It was very tall, almost double the height of the room next to it. As he looked up, he saw branches full of leaves, then he saw a man dressed in black sleeping in one of the branches.

 

It's him!

 

Minjoon was excited, he grabbed the trunk as he climbed up only to fall back to the ground. He couldn't even climb up the tree. So instead of climbing, he took small rocks from the ground and threw it at the man.

 

As Yoonjae was sleeping, he heard footsteps walking towards his hiding place. He opened one eye to check who it is. He turned to look at the person throwing rocks at him. It was that boy he saw in the blue courtyard. Yoonjae ignored the boy and waited for him to leave. He was high enough for the rocks to not reach him.

 

Minjoon was flustered. The man wouldn't go down no matter what he does. How can he possibly have a teacher now? With no other choice, he decided to wait.

 

A while has passed and the sun was about to set. Minjoon was starting to get worried, he knew that he'll get an earful if he returned home late. He stood up as he thought of what to do. Then he saw something in the grass near the tree. He looked for a leaf and spread it on the grass. He looked at the man one last time. Then he left.

 

As the boy left, Yoonjae lifted himself up and leaped from the tree. As he landed, he heard a squishing sound underneath his shoes. A horrid smell wafted his nose. When he looked at his feet, Yoonjae stared horrified as he realized that he was stepping on dung.

 

 

Minjoon ran until he saw a familiar blue archway. As he neared, a woman dressed in a light pink robe is waiting near the doorway. Her face looked stern as her lips formed a straight line.

 

At that moment Minjoon hesitated. He knew that look. It was the look his mother makes whenever he does something wrong. He did not want to go so he slowed his pace. His footsteps were heavy, expressing his nervousness.

 

Hae Gi spotted him from afar, as she waited she glared pointedly at him. Minjoon hurried his steps and arrived in front of her.

 

Hae Gi crossed her arms, dissatisfaction clear in her face.

 

"Why were you late?"

 

Minjoon fiddled with his hands as he hesitantly stared, switching from the ground to his mother.

 

"Minjoon was playing in the field."

 

"Were you not aware of the time? Look at the sky, It's already late!"

 

"Minjoon knows..."

 

"Then why were you late?"

 

Hae Gi peered at Minjoon, her gaze sharp. When she was young, she was not allowed to even step out of their house. Now that she had the chance to have a child, she let him roam freely but with restrictions. One is to roam near the courtyard, second is to not talk to strangers, and the third is to be home before the sun sets.

 

Minjoon gaped at his feet, darting glances at his mother. With a cracked voice, he answered.

 

"Minjoon is sorry Mama..."

 

Hae Gi still stood in place, her gaze absolute. Her eyes bore at Minjoon as she kneeled on the floor, her hands on her knees. She looked at Minjoon sternly.

 

"Will you promise me to not do it again?"

 

Minjoon tore his gaze away from his feet and shook his head up and down. His eyes twinkling.

 

"Promise!"

 

Hae Gi at last smiled and ushered them both inside. It was time for dinner.

 

 

The next day, Minjoon ate his breakfast and quickly left. He waited again near the tree but he couldn't find the same person from before. He snickered as he imagined the man stepping on dung.

 

He once again felt frustrated as he puffed his cheeks. How can he find the man now?

 

As he pondered, he heard battle cries from his right. He followed the sound until he stood in front of another doorway. From the door, he could see thousands of soldiers training in the huge field. They were fighting each other with fists, others with kicks. It looked like a battlefield.

 

In the front stood a man with black armor, his eyes scanning the whole area, resembling those of a hawk. He looked stern as he stepped, his hands on his back.

 

As Minjoon's gaze wandered about, he saw a boy about a few years older than him swinging a wooden sword. It seemed simple, Minjoon thought.

 

He looked at the side of the doorway, then he saw a wooden sword propped on its side on a stand. It looked similar to the sword the boy was wielding. He creeps toward the sword and tried lifting it up. It wouldn't budge.

 

Yoonjae who was supervising his troops noticed the boy long before. Just like last time, he did not think much of it and continued to ignore the child. He had long forgiven the boy and thought that he was only there to watch. Never would he expect the boy to try picking up his wooden sword.

 

All of the wooden sword that he and his soldiers' use weren't ordinary. It was made by the sturdiest wood and was heavy. Especially his own wooden sword. It was much hefty compared to what his soldiers were using.

 

He looked at the boy who was struggling to pick up his sword. The boy was already sweating, having done it for almost 30 minutes. The boy stopped as he sighed seeming ready to give up. The child stared long and hard at the sword, appearing to ponder. After a minute, the boy ran towards the door.

 

Yoonjae guessed that the boy had already given up. He turned to look at his troops and signaled for them to get their wooden sword. One by one, the swords were handed. After a while, the armory was left empty. Only Yoonjae's sword was left. It was the one Minjoon was messing with.

 

Yoonjae walked towards his own sword, his steps light. He suddenly stopped as he saw the same boy entering again. He had something in his hand. It was a blade. Eunjae was alarmed, where did that child get the blade?

 

Minjoon inched closer to the sword. It was too heavy and long for him to wield so he decided to cut it with the knife he got from the shed. As he edged closer, the blade in his hands suddenly vanished and the sword was lifted high up in the air.

 

He looked up at the sword, then to the man holding the sword. He lifted it so easily. That heavy sword that Minjoon couldn't even move was lifted easily by the man in black armor.

 

Yoonjae laid his eyes on the boy. He slashed the sword facing his side downwards, creating a ripple in the air. With a frosty stare, he said.

 

"You are not qualified to lift this sword."

 

Yoonjae expected the child to frown, or maybe throw a tantrum. So he braced himself as he prepared for the boy's answer.

 

"I know."

 

Yoonjae was surprised. This child was... different.

 

"How?"

 

Minjoon looked at the man in front of him. He dropped all pretenses as he talked.

 

"Because I am not strong."

 

Minjoon looked at the ground as he clenched his fists.

 

"I do not have enough power... to fight, to protect."

 

Minjoon raised his head as he stared, his eyes fixed on the man.

 

"I am still weak."

 

Yoonjae watched the boy in front of him. For a young child to admit that he was weak, to even realize this, It was quite amazing, yet saddening.

 

"Then why did you still try?"

 

The boy's blue eyes became ablaze, renewed with vigor.

 

"Because I want to be strong."

 

Minjoon stood with his back straight.

 

"Please help me, mister."

 

Yoonjae recognized that gaze, the child's blue eyes were so similar to his mother. He once again thought of that woman from before. Her firm gaze, although gentle, was electric, commanding. Her eyes reflect this child's own. Without warning, His own heart trembled.

 

He examined the boy then his wooden sword.

 

"I can't."

 

He has decided what to do.

 

"You can only help yourself."

 

Yoonjae threw the wooden sword high up in the air, then using the blade Minjoon brought, sliced the sword in half.

 

"But I will guide you."

 

He caught the sword, that was now in two, with his hands. He handed the other to Minjoon.

 

"I will be your guide, your teacher, your confidant, your pillar."

 

Minjoon accepted the cut half with his own hands. He used all his strength to keep the sword from falling.

 

"But in turn, I will not be kind."

 

Yoonjae struck Minjoon's right knee.

 

"I will not concede,"

 

Then to the left.

 

"I will be harsh,"

 

Minjoon almost knelt in front of Yoonjae. He bit his left lip, struggling to not show the pain.

 

"I will push you to your limits,"

 

Yoonjae pushed Minjoo to a soldier's kneel.

 

"There will be no turning back."

 

The soldiers watched the scene in front of them. Their general was standing with his back straight, while a child knelt in front of him. A sign of subordination.

 

"Will you accept?"

 

Minjoon gazed at the man. As he knelt he thought that the man looked tall, reliable. He looked aloof, yet strong. Like a great mountain, even when the wind blows and storm goes, it does not waver.

 

The boy closed his eyes and placed his hand on his left chest.

 

"Yes."

 

He once again looked at the man in front, his teacher.

 

"I do."

24