Chapter 7: Il Minjoon
1.1k 6 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun shone brightly, revealing a wide courtyard. The sound of the wind blowing combined with the splash of water echoed within the enclosure. A silver-haired boy can be seen running around, chasing a butterfly while a woman with black ebony hair tied in an up-do is washing clothes.

 

A normal day for an average family.

 

Only that the boy is a prince, and the woman is an empress.

 

Many years have passed and Hae Gi's son, Minjoon was already 3 years old. Within those 3 years, many changes transpired. Instead of a thousand concubines, only one woman entered the harem. It was the high official's daughter, Min Hi. Next is Eunjung's intervention, defending Hae Gi and stepping up for her. The General, who was nonexistent in the plot showed up, frequently passing the blue courtyard, glancing for a bit then going on his merry way. The past maids of Hae Gi, who was supposed to be dismissed by the Emperor, stayed and was assigned to the courtyards near the mother and child's abode.  It was all thanks to Hae Gi's actions that triggered this huge change.

Hae Gi stopped scrubbing the clothes and exhaled. She looked at the sun that was slowly setting in the east. It was almost time for dinner.

 

She stood up, dusted her clothes and looked for a basket in the left corner of the yard.

 

Minjoon who was currently preoccupied with the insect, noticed his mother standing up looking for a basket. He looked at the butterfly, then to his mother. Only a little bit more and he'll be able to catch it with his hands and present it to her.

 

Hae Gi who already had a basket in hand turned to look at Minjoon only to find an empty space. She was about to panic until she felt a small hand clutching the hem of her dress. It was Minjoon, looking at her with a bright smile on his face.

 

"Mama, where we go?" Minjoon murmured. His eyes blinking.

 

"To get some vegetables little Min. It's almost time for dinner and we won't have any food if we don't go out." Hae Gi cajoled. She brushed Minjoon's hair, the light reflecting his ashen hair making it shine.

 

"Okay, Minjoon will help." He ran, getting his own little basket at the corner of the tree then trotting towards his mother.

 

Together, they walked to the door, leaving the silent courtyard. A butterfly can be seen in the corner of a jar, it's lid opened.

 

 

They walked together in the long massive hallway. Trees adorned the passage, along with a pond full of lilies. Leaves were scattered in the yard, countless flowers floating in the water.

 

It was a picturesque scene.

 

The mother and child pair trudged down the path inching closer to their destination. Then from the distance, a woman with heavy voluminous hair adorned with countless ornaments, and a purple dress adorned with golden silk, that Minjoon thought looked heavy, was walking towards them with countless servants in tow.

 

It was Min Hi, the newly appointed consort.

 

As both parties were about to cross paths, the glamorous woman made her maid stop the pair.

 

"Oh, it's the Empress. For a second, I thought I was looking at a maid. Do forgive me, your Majesty." Min Hi jeered, waving her fan. Compared to what Min Hi wears, Hae Gi's peach dress that looks so dull and plain, with no ornaments attached except for a pin in her hair, really made her look so simple and pure, but not to the point of looking like a maid.

 

Even if Hae Gi wore something simple, the maids couldn't ignore the majestic aura, along with the refined gestures that Hae Gi emanates. After all, between the two women, Hae Gi still looked like the Empress, befitting of her status.

 

"I heard that the Emperor doesn't frequent you since that time. It was truly unfortunate. I guess the Emperor was too blind to see your true colors." Min Hi scoffed. Her voice full of ridicule.

 

"Oh, I forgot about the prince. I think that- "

 

"Your babbling should be contained. Or else you will be dismissed."

 

Hae Gi proclaimed. Her voice soft yet clear, filled with might. Her gaze bore at Min Hi. So calm, mocking her, piercing her whole soul that it terrifies the woman in front.

 

Min Hi unconsciously took a step back. The maid blocking the way was now gone and back at her line.

 

In this kingdom, being dismissed is the greatest punishment of all. It might mean being tortured, raped, or sentenced to death. It's meaning was vast, and that's what made it frightening. It does not mean being dismissed by the Empress or the Emperor themselves. It means being dismissed by the whole kingdom itself.

 

The path was now clear for Hae Gi and Minjoon to tread.

 

Minjoon clutched Hae Gi's dress tighter as they passed the woman. He recognizes the mockery too well in those people's eyes. He was familiar with them. At a young age, he saw his mother being bullied by the maids in the outer court. The place where other members of the harem stay, where that evil woman lives. He couldn't stomach what the maids were saying, that his mom was 'vile' and 'vulgar'. He doesn't know what those words meant but he knew it was bad.

 

He saw his mother work hard every day. Cleaning the lawn, doing the laundry, cooking their supper, while taking care of him. He was too young, yet he realized these things. At the moment, Minjoon felt powerless. Weak. His mother was always there protecting him and his father. Yet nobody helped them, or even defended them. Only Aunt Eunjung dared, but she was away so nobody was there to fend for them.

 

Both of them walked as the time passed. At last, they reached the gardens. Hae Gi opened the gate with Minjoon in tow. As she was about to pick some vegetables, she heard sniffles from her rear. When she looked back, Minjoon was standing there with a frown on his face, his fist gripping the basket tightly. His eyebrows were furrowed, eyes wide open and misty, tears threatening to fall.

 

Hae Gi rushed forward and knelt to Minjoon's height.

 

"What's the matter Minjoon? Why are you crying?" Hae Gi asked, her voice laced with worry. Her hand sweeping through Minjoon's tousled hair.

 

Minjoon stayed silent covering his face with his arm, shaking his head side to side as he tried not to cry.

 

Hae Gi sighed and hugged Minjoon closer.

 

"Were you scared? Mama is sorry she couldn't protect you from them."She told Minjoon while rubbing his back. Minjoon's shoulder shook, little sobs can be heard behind Hae Gi, tears wetting her back.

 

"Are you hungry? Maybe you're already hungry. Now, what do you want to eat my little Minjoon? I'll cook it for you"  

 

After a while, she hugged Minjoon tightly then made him face her. With a bright smile, her eyes encouraging, she wiped Minjoon's tears and said.

 

"Mommy's cooking will surely make you smile."

 

Minjoon, with his nose full of snot and his eyes red, looked at her. He was not crying for himself, but for his mother who stood strong for the both of them. Protecting them, always telling him that it's going to be okay. At that moment, he felt overwhelming joy. He felt thankful, for his mother who was always there. Her presence giving warmth, making all the troubles go away. Even if others bully them, threaten them, as long as his mother was there, he would not be afraid.

 

He couldn't imagine a life without his mother. Without the warmth, without the comfort. He felt empty just thinking of that thought.

 

He glanced at his mother picking vegetables. From there on, he swears to do everything in his power to make his mother happy. His mother who raised him provided him with his needs, the one who comforted him when he was sad. The one who carried him and taught him how to love.

 

He thought of his father, who gave them a home, a garden. Then he thought of his mother, who provided him comfort, love.

 

At that moment, he couldn't agree more.

 

His father was a house,

His mother was a home.

 

--Lang Leav, Sea of Strangers.

26