Chapter 16 : Il Minjoon
601 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The consort stormed out with a scowl on her face. She stomped forward, her feet almost leaving a footprint on the wooden tiles.

 

Her servants trailed behind her, their head hung low.

 

Her eyes moistened as she hastily walked away, biting her lip hard, pain vibrating to her whole being like tumultuous sea waves.

 

Min Hi felt so frustrated she wanted to cry.

 

She hoisted her skirt up, running to her courtyard. The door immediately opened through the call of her servants who alerted the people inside. The moment she stepped in, a row of servants greeted her with a bow.

 

"Welcome back, Imperial consort."

 

Min Hi ignored them as if they did not exist, going straight to her room. The flowers along her pathway swayed vigorously as she burst through.

 

She violently closed the door and locked it with a piece of wood.

 

"Mistress!"

 

"My lady!"

 

The servants knocked on the door, their eyes widening as some sighed, irritated by Min Hi's actions.

 

A maid mumbled at the back, rolling her eyes.

 

"Here she goes again."

 

Min Hi leaned on the door as she broke down crying, her emotions in disarray. She slowly fell on her knees as she sobbed uncontrollably, her lips quivering.

 

She held herself tight as she bent over, rocking back and forth.

 

No matter what she does, she's not considered worthy.

 

She remembered that night like a blissful dream, a dream that made her wishes come true.


She sneaked through the dark hallway, sweating as she thought of her father possibly knowing she was gone.

 

She kept her head down as she smiled, covering her mouth as she tried not to giggle.

 

Looking at the Emperor at close proximity was worth all the trouble after all.

 

She sighed as she dreamt of the day that she would meet the Emperor, weaving different romantic scenarios in her head - a sweet rendezvous under a cherry blossom tree; being gallantly saved from bandits as he held her in his arms;  inviting her for a romantic dance.

 

It made her heart almost burst with happiness as she squeezed her eyes shut smiling from ear to ear, squealing as she did so. She stopped herself, breathing deeply. She needed to calm herself in order to avoid getting caught.

 

She walked silently as she crept forward.

 

After a while, she realized she was lost. Grumbling to herself, she softly bumped her head a few times. Then she heard voices behind the fence wall she was facing.

 

"Brother, I love him already. I do not want to leave him. Please understand."

 

Min Hi heard the voice of a woman, thinking that the voice was very familiar.

 

"He will just use you to control our Kingdom! Like all the former rulers of this country! Do you think he will be any different? They don't love Hae Gi. It's not in their nature."

 

It made her curious, she tiptoed towards the fence peering inside.

 

She saw a woman that looked a lot like the Empress, holding hands with a man.

 

They looked like lovers from afar, and from her vantage point, she could see both cerulean eyes staring at each other.

 

By then she knew they weren't lovers.

 

She stared wide-eyed, she knew at that moment that the man and the woman in front of her were powerful figures who can shake the whole Kingdom. One of the mighty princes from the Xu Kingdom - Xu Shin. And the treasure of two kingdoms, the most powerful woman in the Empire -The Empress, Xu Hae Gi.

 

Her knees were shaking, making her feel lethargic. Min Hi knew she wasn't supposed to see this, nor was she supposed to be here. If discovered, it could cost her her own life.

 

The woman grasped the man's hands tightly as she pleaded.

 

"He is different! He promised me! I believe in him."

 

Min Hi slowly averted her eyes, preparing to run away. Then she saw a man with silvery white hair from a distance, looking at the scene with a dark expression on his face.

 

She gasped quietly holding her hands to her mouth as she stared incredulously at the man.

 

It was the Emperor, Il Daehyun.

 

Sweat started to trail down her forehead as she acknowledged the precariousness of her situation.

 

She wondered if the Emperor knew what they were talking about. Judging from the deep loathing expression on his face, maybe he was angry at the Xu prince for meddling with the affairs of their Kingdom.

 

Min Hi saw the Emperor turn around, his shimmering silver hair slowly disappearing.

 

She also turned as she hurriedly ran far away from the scene. Her whole body was trembling as she struggled to keep control of her footing.

 

With her attention elsewhere, she did not notice a figure blocking her way. She bumped her head on a hard wall, bouncing back as she fell, falling on her bottom.

 

Rubbing her head as she grumbled, she slowly opened her eyes. The sight of dark gold robes greeted her eyes, her gaze looked up seeing a familiar face with shining white hair.

 

It was the Emperor, Il Dae Hyun.

 

He was just sitting there, a defeated look on his eyes. He did not even try to stand up, he just sat there like a broken doll, its strings cut.

 

Min Hi's eyes widened, her mouth hanging open. She froze not knowing what to do. She immediately sat on her knees, bowing deeply to the Emperor.

 

"Forgive me, your majesty! This servant couldn't  see where she was going and bumped into you by mistake."

 

Tears threatened to fall as her forehead touched the ground.

 

"This-this servant deserves to-"

 

"What did I do wrong?"

 

Startled, Min Hi stopped. She raised her forehead, her gaze confused as she looked at the Emperor.

 

"You-your majesty?"

 

Daehyun sat on the floor, his hair covering his face.

 

"Was I not good enough?"

 

His eyes became moist as he thought of the scene before.

 

"I thought she loved me."

 

Min Hi could hear the crack on his voice as he spoke. She hesitantly moved closer, sitting beside the Emperor.

 

"I-I really thought..."

 

Daehyun's shoulder started to shake as tears rolled down his eyes.

 

"I really thought she loved me."

 

He covered his face with his palms, his hands becoming wet.

 

Min Hi couldn't help but hug him, her arms a bit loose. She knew that this might cost her life. But seeing the one person she admired, looking like this, made her want to give everything she had to him.

 

She couldn't help wondering why the Emperor was acting this way. Did he not recognize the prince of the Xu Kingdom? It seemed pretty obvious with the cerulean eyes. Didn't he hear what they said?

 

Min Hi realized that it might be the case. He was too far away from the two to hear their conversation. And based from the angle he was facing, he could only see the prince's back and the expression on the Empress's face.

 

She knew that it was all a misunderstanding.

 

She knew that she can just tell the truth, what really happened, what she saw in order to clear this misunderstanding.

 

But feeling this overflowing joy in her heart as she held him in her arms, she faltered.

 

The Emperor uncovered his face now staring at his own hands. Tears continuously streamed down his face as he spoke, his voice weak.

 

"What should I do?"

 

Min Hi held him tighter smiling softly as she whispered with a sweet voice.

 

"Don't worry, forget her. I'm here."


Then he married her afterward. She felt elated while looking at the man in front of her, looking at her with a grateful gaze.

 

He kissed her on that momentous day and it seemed that all her wishes suddenly came true.

 

She waited for him religiously on their wedding night. She sprayed on with her most expensive perfume and wore the most extravagant gown that she owned. Her father bought this specifically for this day. She waited and waited.

 

She waited until the sun shone brightly on the window.

 

But he did not come.

 

Yet that did not let her down. She thought that maybe he's still busy, he is the emperor after all. But she later knew that the Empress was going into labor on that fateful day.

 

Min Hi heard it from a servant just passing by.

 

"The Empress gave birth to a boy!"

 

She felt like everything shattered on her as she heard that phrase. That's why the Emperor did not show up. Why he wasn't here last night.

 

She momentarily felt guilty but anger burst from within her, trampling the guilt.

 

That stupid tramp. She already had it all-title, land, riches- but that wench still wasn't contented.

 

That stupid whore had the nerve to steal her man.

 

Min Hi squeezed her hands tightly, trembling with anger. Her face was adorned with an ugly scowl, distorting her peaceful image.

 

She swore on that day, to make the life of that shrew a living hell.

 

But whatever she did, that woman always came back strong. Even stronger than before.

 

No matter what Min Hi did, that woman still managed to stand up straight. Her stance firm.

 

 

And as time went on, the Emperor grew distant.

 

She was always close to him looking at his back. Yet why did she feel like he was much further away?

 

She observed the wooden floor. Looking at its intricate patterns, flowers etched on each tile.

 

She lifted her head, the light glistening on her run down face.

 

She first looked at the mirror, at her own reflection. She saw a woman with messy hair clad in expensive robes with worth that can feed a family for a whole decade. Her stained face and her ruined makeup made her look a complete mess.

 

She then looked at her hands. Hands so white and supple, pampered with love. Hands void of grievances and hardships.

 

She looked at her own calendar seeing the red mark on the paper. It marked the 14th of February, an important date to remember.

 

Min Hi sneered as she recalled the importance of this feast.

 

'The Banquet of the kings.'

 

A Banquet happening every 10 years where all the royals of each Kingdom attend. The choice of venue rotates from one kingdom to another.

 

And it just so happened that this year, it would be held in the Il Kingdom.

 

She looked at the mirror with her frosty eyes, her lips slowly turning into a cynical smile. Her body started trembling. She clenched her hands tight, so tight that her knuckles were turning white.

 

Her smile grew bigger as she thought of a plan, her eyes narrowing into slits.

 

This was the day.

 

'The very day you will fall.'

 

A beast about to hunt for its prey.

 

'Xu Hae Gi.'

 

13