Chapter 4 [ The Aftermath I ]
372 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There will be one more chapter that will be published in a day after this. Thanks for reading <3 ~

My dark world slowly lit up as I heard a loud thud coming from above me. The warm bed I slept against, or more called my brother is no longer holding me. Damn… I looked around, I swear everything's so blurry… Oh! I know why I just woke up god damn I’m stupid… I rub my eyes slowly to see properly as I sat up a blanket that was wrapped around me and slowly popped itself onto the ground. Seems like my whole family was woken by the sound we heard and my father’s face… It looks really grim about the whole deal.

Scanning around the basement I can see why the rain is dripping into the basement which means the house is gonna be horrible. I can already feel the pain of all the work that is going to be done. I can just hope the fields aren’t ruined if they aren't, we can make money at least. I slowly stand, holding my head letting out a sigh before stretching my small body. Sometimes it’s nice to be short, less body pain. I heard it sucks but! I’m gonna grow taller sooo... I giggle softly, sometimes I wonder about my mental health, I dunno why I’m talking like this.

“It looks like it’s going to be a long few days isn’t it?” Arita spoke as I sat down next to him and Ienaga. Right in between the two of them, of course slightly in front so I won’t just push my way between the two I’m nice sometimes…  “You are right but we won’t know until we go up there.” Our father spoke as he stood carefully to avoid the slowly growing polls of yellow liquid as he unlocked and opened the basement door. The best part is that we don’t see light blinding us, and it seems there are walls up.

“I’ll be back, you guys stay here.” He just nodded before disappearing upstairs.

 

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

 

He came back after ten minutes, and he looked pissed. I don’t really want to know what he saw up there but I already know we are gonna find out soon. He slowly sat down with our little group looking towards my mother. He stared at her silently before looking to us, before letting out a sigh. “The house is standing… The roof is gone... Most of our things are missing. It’s going to be hard to get everything back plus fix the house. I think we need to focus on rebuilding the house so I’m going to go to town with Arata.” He spoke quietly, rubbing his face in the process.

“Ienaga, go help your mother with your sister… Oh Purity, go to the fields after you help your mother as well we need to check on them.” He let out another sigh. “Arita let’s get to work..” He stood as well as my brother as both of them disappeared above. Ienaga and I looked towards our mother as we are now left in her hands.

“Well… Let’s go above and see what the damage is, and try to save anything we can.” She sounds depressed by what the storm has done. But we can’t go back in time… Though I bet my mother is wishing that we knew about the storm beforehand so we could’ve saved more of our precious things. While I had nothing precious or even important, unlike my brothers. Again I swear I’m nothing in the view of my father and just a waste of space.

My mom stands before patting my head. “Don’t worry baby, everything will be alright.” I guess it must’ve shown on my face what I was thinking. Giving a small smile to my mom before I stood. “L-Let’s go up?” I spoke weakly, honestly I rather not see my mom destroyed again still thinks she is the only one who truly loves me. My mom gave a small nod, as she started her way upstairs. I gave a glance towards Ienaga who was just standing as I finally saw how bad the shape the house truly was.

My dad sugar-coated it really, really good. He was right there were walls standing, but he didn’t say how the walls were. They were stripped, and the ceiling had spots where we can see the still cloudy sky. “Looks… Like he… Made it sound better than it really is.” It was the first words my brother spoke as he came up. I nodded slowly. “H-He did…” My voice was quiet and rather broken seeing the state of the house.

The only thing that brought us back was a clap from our mom as she turned to face us. “Let’s find anything we can still bring to the basement and then we can find food for us to eat.” My mother seemed to be doing alright, but honestly I dunno with her sometimes. I nodded, as I walk away. “I-I’ll check the bedrooms to see what is left,” I spoke up as I left, honestly it wouldn’t be hard to hear me.

I, of course, went to my room first, I didn’t expect much and I didn’t get anything. My room was just a square. Not even my floorboards were here, they were stripped away by something. Was the storm a monster? Peering up towards the sky towards the clouds I frowned, maybe not one of those monsters, but a monster in a certain way certainly. I shook my head turning around to check the other rooms. Only my parents’ room had anything, though I dunno what was important to them so I didn’t take anything. 

I returned to where my brother and mother were, they were in the kitchen checking the remaining items which weren't much. “T-There’s… Only your room left mom..” I spoke weakly, I had nothing in my room but that’s a huge difference between my brothers’ rooms. They had a lot of things that meant a lot to them, they even personalized their rooms unlike me. Ienaga didn’t say anything just giving me a nod, as my mother did the same. “A-Alright..” My mom spoke, they are both starting to break as there was barely anything left.

Ienaga slowly rubbed the back of his neck before looking at our mother. “I-I’m… Gonna go see if there is anything outside that… W-Was a part of my room.” He stuttered through the process of speaking before walking away from us, clenching his hands together tightly. 

I have to say I didn’t expect him to be so uptight, you know I’d thought he’d cry when he found out his room was simply gone. I guess he found his own way to cope as he went to find some of his things. I guess it’s better than nothing, letting out a sigh I return my gaze to my mother who didn’t seem fully there. I slowly went over to her, staring up at her. “Mother..?” I whispered weakly.

She looked down at me giving a faint smile. “I-I’m alright!” She was forcing that smile too much for me not to notice how much pain she was in. I returned a nod slowly before speaking weakly. “Besides looking to the fields, should I double-check on the wells and... Animals?” I slowly rub the back of my neck as I asked, avoiding meeting my mother’s dazed eyes.

I remained silent, as I felt her gaze slowly digging into my skin. I didn’t like it, did she break? I slowly took a glance at her. My mother’s eyes were red as tears slowly rolled down her cheeks. “M-Mom?” I spoke weakly, as I quickly wrapped my small arms around her staring up at her.

She slowly and weakly wrapped her arms around me, as she knelt down silently sobbing into my neck. I didn’t say a word, nor did I even move. I felt frozen in place, how am I going to comfort her? I can’t mentally comfort someone who lost everything… I’m used to having nothing, so it wasn’t much… Maybe I’m pushing off the mental pain of losing the house and everything we needed to live. I just don’t know.

I stayed with my Mother, running my small palm against her back as she cried her eyes out. I would say it was a couple of minutes before she finally calmed her sobbing rubbing her eyes before she looked at me smiling warily. “I… I-I didn’t want you to see me like this..” She gave a weak laugh, holding me tightly, her grip slowly tightening. “We need to be strong..” She gave a light laugh before releasing me from her arms as she stood. “Y-You can go and finish checking everything now.” She spoke, sniffling as she tried to control the seemingly uncontrollable breaks of her voice. 

I stared at her in this weakened state before slowly nodding “I’ll… Head out and check then.. A-Are you true you don’t need me here?” I spoke doubtfully, staring straight into my mother’s eyes a frown forming. My mother just gave me a force smile nodding, as she gently turned me around and pushed me. “Yes! J-Just make sure n-nothing is wrong with the animals a-a-and c-crops..”

13