Chapter 3 [ The Storm ]
407 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having gotten away from my father, as now I am outside once more running over to the horses’ barn. Nearly tripping myself up a few times by rocks and just running too fast. The wind has picked up extremely, the loud whistle of the storm making itself known. I wished I knew the storm was gonna be so bad so I could’ve locked up the horses before I went inside. Letting out a weak sigh as I finally made it to the barn, panting weakly.

Well! The best part is that the horses knew the storm was coming so they are already inside like all the good animals they are. I have to say it, I love horses more than the cows. Fucking ass wholes they are I can tell ya! Being all cra- tangent once again... Not really the time for it. Walking inside of the barn did I do a double-check to make sure all the horses were inside, before closing the wooden door that leads to their enclosure. Walking to the front to grab a heavy wooden beam that we normally use for storms did I slowly and painfully haul that stupid piece of heavy ass wood to the door as I slowly raised it to set it in place.

Can I see it more? I hate being short! Anyway! I had to feed the horses to make sure they had water, close all the smaller windows, and then the main door. Sighing as I grabbed a bucket of horse feed making sure all the horses’ food was topped off before I started with the water next. That took about ten minutes to get done sadly. Though not letting my steam run out did I make sure to close all the smaller windows, especially the ones on the ceiling of the barn - let’s just say it was painful to get done. Heading out of the barn finally after twenty minutes did I finally close the main doors, grabbing another piece of heavy ass wood to put into place. Though that’s not it sadly, as I had to lock it into place with three metal grips.

Finally done! Well the first task, I need to cover the wells on this side before heading to the other side to do the same. Glad covering the wells aren’t that hard, just plop a piece of wood on top and thud! A smile formed on my face as I started to walk to the furthest well, which honestly we only had two wells on each side so it’s gonna be a quick task. Let’s just say it was a harder task than I thought it was gonna be, the wind picking up more pushing me around like I was some lost leaf. Though I did get the wells covered! Well, the ones on the horses’ side before it started to rain and let me say the rain burned.

It felt like it was burrowing into my skin! What the hell is this? Acid rain? I could be home by now if it wasn’t for this damn rain! I let out a faint sigh, looking from my safe little overhang of a barn. I need to run to get to the next two wells, at least one is close. I took some deep breaths trying to hype myself up for this painful run. I nodded, before pushing myself off of the wall running towards the next well. Reaching the overhang of the well where I am once more safe from the rain did I finally sit rubbing my arms. “Fucking…” I muttered.

It took me a few minutes before I stood, moving the cover onto the well. Rubbing my boots against the rock so I won’t slip running to the next well. I shivered at the thought of tripping and falling into the water that is pooling up on the ground. It took me twenty minutes of running and stopping to rest before I finally got to the well and an extra ten minutes to get home. Let’s say my arm and body didn’t take kindly as I flop into the entryway groaning softly.

My mother was the only one who went to check on me to find me on the ground trembling with blood coming from spots of my arms and hands where the acid rain dug in. She remained silent, running away before returning with a wet cloth wiping my face and my arms. “Make sure to get change right away and I’ll meet you in your room to wipe you down.” My mother’s soft tone whispered in my ear. “A-A-Alright…” I gave a weak answer. I weakly stood once my mother was done with my face as I quickly made my way to my room to strip. Like my mother had said she came a few minutes later with a bucket of water and started to wipe me clean especially my hair.

Wiping me down didn’t take long, well I guess that’s a lie. It was longer than normal. Only ten minutes have passed to make sure I was cleaned. We returned to the living room where the rest of the family was, it seemed my brothers and father also suffered the same fate as me. My father looked towards us as we entered before focusing on me. “Did you get the wells covered?” His tone was empty. I answered with a nod, “Yes father.” I spoke weakly, as I slowly sat onto the floor wincing slightly as I did. My whole body stun, like my skin, was getting burned repeatedly without stopping, it was slowly getting more and more painful as I sat there.

The wind picking up suddenly brought me out of my daze of pain as I looked up towards a window. My father clicked his tongue, making a ‘tsk’ sound as he stood. “Boys, let's prepare the house for flooding.” My brothers just nodded as the three left the living room, leaving me and my mother alone. I let out a weak sigh, slowly standing moving over towards my mother. “What do we have to do to get ready?” I asked weakly, as my mother just returned a smile. “Don’t worry Purity.” She rubbed my head like you would a small child. “I already took care of everything.” Moments like these warm my heart that I know I’m still wanted by someone in my family.

“Though I think we should head to the basement to get everything laid out and ready.” My mother added, taking her hand off of my head as she stood. I moved away so she could stand as we made our way down. The basement was dark, but the safest place in this wooden house. It even had its own storm door that we could close. There were blankets rolled up that we had to lay on the stone floor which we did. Really easy task for me when I’m mostly used to physical labor that tends to be outdoors. 

I dunno how long we sat down there alone till we heard loud footsteps running down to the basement before hearing the storm door close and someone locking it into place. “Fucking hell I didn’t expect the storm to explode at us out of nowhere.” I heard my father speak before my brothers and father appeared coming down the steps. “What happened?” My mother asked, looking up to my father as he came over to sit next to her. “A damn twister appeared, I swear we already had it bad with the rain!” He was upset at this new development of the storm.

My brothers sat next to him, on our own blanket. Well, I guess they could sit anywhere they wanted but I guess being close to other people makes you feel safe huh? I can support that fully. My older brother was in the middle of us, wrapping his arms around both of our sides. I don’t really understand why he did, but I felt a little safer being pressed against him gently. He was quite warm and relaxing. Let me remind you that only my mother would hold me like this and it’s only for brief moments. Before I knew it, I was on his lap, my world slowly darkening as I let out a faint yawn as my weak and tired body hit me all at once. Before I knew it, my world was fully dark, with the warmth of my brother making a cozy make shipped bed.

15