Chapter 2 [ Calm Before the Storm ]
455 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Imma just push this a lil bit..

My eyes slowly opened, my dark world filling up with a faint light peeking through my window. I let out a faint groan, slowly sitting up from my cocoon of blankets. Slowly running a hand through my straight hair, letting a faint yawn out of my thin lips before I looked around my room before focusing on the window. ‘Seems like it’s morning..’

Shaking my head as I slowly got out of my bed, my bare feet touching the warm wooden boards as I made my way over to my set of clothes. Slipping on my rough plain white shirt, then my rugged pants. Brushing my clothing with my small palms I pulled on my socks before running a hand through my hair as I opened the door to my room walking out into the hallway before closing my door behind me.

Luckily for me, I don’t have many chores to-do today! I can spend my day outside exploring the places I normally don’t have time for. Plus I can ride Arnie around the horses’ enclosure, well if she lets me anyway. As I entered the kitchen it’s silent, it must be really early if my mother isn’t awake. Turning my gaze outside to see the sun trying to penetrate the thick tree line that protects us from the wind. ‘Really early it seems..’

Frowning slightly as I made my way over to our small cold room to pull out some eggs before making my way back to the kitchen. Oh... About the cold room - it’s really nice for us to afford as most of us farmers barely have enough at times just to live. Pretty sure it works by having an enchantment of some kind freezing the small room. Dunno how it fully works, way above my head sadly.

Setting the eggs down onto the lowered counter, yes it was built for my brother and I. Grabbing a smaller iron pan to set on top of the grill. Grabbing our magic tool before starting the stove before setting the magic tool back. So much work… Ok I lie, the magic really helps with all our needs huh... Wonder how they used to in the past. 

Shaking my head to change my task at hand, as I gently crack the egg’s shell on the side of the pan to cook the eggs. Honestly, normally I wouldn’t even do this and just run outside. Just too much work… Eh... I guess it’s one of the many jobs I dislike doing. Finishing my small breakfast, stuffing it into my face after I kill the fire and clean what I dirtied I head to the entryway to pull on my outdoor boots before leaving, of course, closing the door behind me.

Quickly being hit by the cold chill of the morning, with the mist like fog still hugging the ground like lovers I made my way quietly through to the horses. The birds were singing quietly, as I look over to the sun once more, still trying to grace me with its light but failing. I hate waking up really early and having to make my own breakfast... I guess that’s the only reason. Letting out a faint giggle, with a weak smile forming on my face as I stop at the entrance of the horse’s barn. Ah, I found another reason; having to let the animals out of their barn; how troublesome.

Well, at least they're not like the cows, getting pissed at me for every little thing I do wrong or whatnot... Okay let me be honest, I don’t know if the horses get pissed at me or not... Maybe they do? Hell, they just allow it, little asses! At least give me a sign I’m doing it wrong so I can learn at least! My parents nor my brothers even help! Maybe slightly my fault for not asking for help but nevertheless! I wish the horses tried to help at least a tad!

Letting out a defeated sigh as I opened the barn door before scanning around the horses. “Yes yes… Early me, I know.” I muttered out as I opened the gate for their enclosure before I opened the gate of each horse letting them out onto their field. As most of the horses left, I started to work grabbing their food to refill their containers before filling up their water after.

Overall only taking me ten minutes just due to how weak I am, we don’t have too many horses, only ten. Walking out of the gate walking into the enclosure as I look around for Arnie, letting out a faint yawn cracking my lower back. I guess I should do stretches when I wake up or something, my body feels tense for an odd reason. Looking to the north frowning as I see dark odd colored clouds seemingly forming. ‘Rather interesting cloud color… Brown-ish black? That doesn’t seem even close to a normal cloud.’ 

I let out a sigh turning back to what I wanted to do today, a cloud isn’t a big deal. Roaming the enclosure before spotting my horse. I gently placed my palm against her side, rubbing slowly. “Hello, Arnie.” Arnie in return let out a soft nicker, gently nuzzling my face as well. I gently rub the side of her face. “Do you want to go for a ride?” I asked, tilting my head to the side as if to answer Anrie gently once more nuzzled my face as I let out a small giggle.

I turned back to the barn walking, humming faintly as my boots pressed into the still wet soil as I grabbed our saddle. Yes, I and Arine have our own saddle, we’re too bonded for them to take us away from each other. Turning to see Arine just arriving behind me, as I quietly and quickly as possible strapped the saddle onto my horse before slowly getting onto her. Putting my boots on the feet holders before rubbing her with one of my small palms as the other grabbed the reins. 

As I rode Arine to the gate, I peered back over to the ever-growing brown-ish clouds. They had grown twice in size in the past twenty minutes, yes I am slow I’m sorry. Back on the topic of the clouds… They look like they are starting to move from their resting place, as the sky starts to darken. Only when Arine made a noise that gets my attention brought back to her, before focusing on the gate. “Sorry sorry…” I muttered, slowly getting off of her, unhooking the gate as I pushed it aside.

Locking the gate back up as Arine exited the horses’ enclosure making sure it would stay put did I slowly get back on top of Arine. “So tall..” I muttered as I put my feet onto the feet holders before grabbing the reins as Arine started to walk. “Forest first?” I muttered not expecting an answer as she walked.

As we entered the forest that was to the side of one of our fields did I peered over to the slowly growing crops. We were mostly growing wheat and corn, as we can just trade between other farmers or just buy the bulk of food in town that we normally can get. Smiling I turned back to the trail, gripping onto the reins tighter. “It’s really quiet…” Scanning around before my gaze fell upon the suns’ rays breaking through the thickness of the trees did I smile briefly. “Let’s hope I don’t get burned anymore today like I did yesterday.” I let out a faint giggle, gently moving my heel against Arine for her to walk a little faster. 

Let’s just say after walking around in the forest for hours did my ass hurt to an extent of not wanting to ride a horse for at least a day. Even though riding in carts are even worse due to how much they bump on the roads due to rocks n’ whatnot. I had returned Arine to the enclosure, as I handled our saddle as I put it to hang up. My lower back feels like it’s going to break as well, having to sit up the whole time. Well… I heard it’s worse for taller people, so I guess the plus side for being short.

Stepping out of the barn before stopping, noticing as the sun wasn’t gracing me with its sunlight I look up to the sky to see it filled with brown clouds blocking the sun. Letting out a faint sigh, as I started my way back to the house rubbing my arms and my butt. ‘Quite dark, wonder how bad the storm is going to be today’ Running a hand through my rough hair letting a sigh push through my thin lips.

I didn’t see any of my family outside, opening the front door taking off my boots before walking into the living room to meet my mother. “It looks bad out there…” I muttered, just loud enough for her to hear as I sat down next to her. She looked to her side, where I sat giving a nod. “It does look like it’s going to be a bad storm and your brothers and father are away in town trying to get news.” She spoke softly. 

A frown formed on my face shifting slowly. “It didn’t look this bad this morning when I woke up. Seems like the goddess of weather is testing us once more huh..” My mother smiled, wrapping her arm around my side bringing me close. “It seems she is. All we have to do is keep strong.” My mother let out a faint giggle. “Nevertheless!” My mother stood, moving her arm away from me. “We should cook something for them to return it’s about noon.” She started to walk off to the kitchen with me to follow behind her quietly.

Let me be honest with you… I suck at cooking, never wanted to cook in my life. But life isn’t easy, learning to take care of my future family is good and all but! I just can’t bring myself to cook for my family. So normally I just help my mother to gather what she needs. Anyway back on topic! I’m in the kitchen now, leaning against the counter by my mother. It seems today she doesn’t really need my help as she had pre-organized everything so I can just sit idly and stare off into space like I normally do - or what I am doing right now as in talking to myself as if someone is reading my thoughts. God that would be stupid for someone to be reading them… All the tangents I go off on would make people laugh at me or think I’m crazy…

I let out a defeated sigh, which my mother took a quick peek at me before returning to her work at chopping carrots. Oh! At least I can use knives correctly! Mostly for self-defense… Goddamnit! I went off on a tangent again and no one is even in my head! Shaking my head to return to the world holding my head with my small palm did I finally sulk, sitting down onto the floor staring at the wooden boards that were old and worn out of their prime.

I felt my eyes slowly become heavy, as I tried to keep them open muttering to myself gibberish. My eyes finally closed only to open to look towards the door that just opened with three pairs of feet being heard. I slowly stood, dusting myself off stretching slowly before my father and two brothers walked into the house. “It doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a good storm,” Arita said, nodding to me in a greeting which I returned only to be hugged by my younger brother. “We heard it’s going to be a really horrible storm that we will prepare for after we need lunch.” Arita continued as I hugged my younger brother back.

My father didn’t even say anything to me as he sat down onto his chair to start eating quietly, giving a kiss to my mother. Honestly, we aren’t close, he’s really cold to me overall. I feel like he wants to disown me just for being a girl - maybe it’s more than that… Is it because I’m weak? Hell, I don’t know, nor do I want to know, it just ruined my mood even more. Well, I guess we have to prepare for the storm… What a great day this has become.

19