Chapter 5 [ The Aftermath Final ]
370 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I left the house, letting out a faint defeated sigh. I slowly looked up towards the still dark sky, with faint flashes of light appearing on the horizon. I made my way towards the animals, mainly the horses. I could care less about checking the cows first, they aren’t as intelligent as the horses… Well, I think so at least. Peering down at the mud as I walked carefully not to slip or sink into the ground. Peering back up and around me checking to see anything else was damaged, which was. Trees were uprooted, as well as the horse’s barn was de-roofed, wondering how they were. The rain was horrible to human skin, maybe the animals would have suffered better than us.

Stopping in front of the barred door, I rubbed my hands together slowly. This was either going to hurt like hell or won’t hurt at all. I moved my body to rest the wood on top of my shoulder grabbing the wooden board before slowly lifting it up and out of the way. As the board hit the ground I wiped my burning hands against my shirt biting my lip to stuff away from my scream. It was worse than I thought it was going to be… Why would the wood suck all the water and them stream it out when I grab the damn thing?!

I pull my sleeve from my shirt, drying off the handle of the door before slowly, and hesitantly pull the door open. I froze one I was hit with a stench of blood and flesh, not even looking inside I started to gag moving away covering my mouth staring at the ground trying to get myself together. Life is cruel… I always get reminded of this fact, don’t I? Who would’ve thought all of our horses that were in the barn would perish. 

Dragging my boots through the mud, holding my chest with one of my hands, my other covering my mouth as I made my way to the covered well, trying to digest what I was thinking. It took me a few minutes to reach the well, the roof of the well was ripped away from the frame, the former cover was nowhere to be seen. I rubbed my eyes slowly staring at this newfound mess, do I want to know what happened to the water in the well? I slowly pushed myself up to look down into the well, well… Former well - it was ruined. It smelled like something had died, and this time I couldn’t get away fast enough to not vomit, which now also ended up in the well.

I pushed away from the well, gagging and wiping my mouth breathing heavily trying to get myself together. I ended up getting two feet away from the well before I looked back towards it. More and more awful news kept piling up, the house destroyed, most of our farming buildings damaged or destroyed, the horses were all killed… Arnie… The one thing I still fully care for was killed… Now one of the two wells ruined… What is the luck that the final well will have any luck? What about the cows? Hell if they aren’t alive how are we going to live?

I held my head as all these thoughts rushed around, as I started to panic and hyperventilate. I crouched down trying to calm my breathing, holding my hand over my mouth closing my eyes. Finally relaxing my racing head I stood up, slowly peering up towards the clouded sky. I let out a shaky breath before heading towards the cow’s barn, holding my hands together. I swear it took longer than normal to get to my horse’s barn to the cow’s barn.

I was welcomed to a roofed barn, with loud mooing from inside. I visibly relaxed as I heard them, running over quickly before stopping staring at the barred door - before looking down at my burned and bleeding hands. I guess this will have to wait… Plus I would rather them not get out and start eating the grass and die. Shaking my head I made my way towards the other well staring at the ground. Here I thought my good luck would continue but I hit a dead-end after the cows.

The well was in the same shape as the other, though I rather not get closer to see if it smells the same. This is most likely going to cost us a handful of Yuldo ( Silver ) or even a dozen Rerpi ( Gold)... Just to relocate, dig, and build these wells back up… All those hours were at least thirty Rerpi if we sold them… All this money is making my head hurt just thinking about all the things we could’ve bought. Holding my head, I made my way to the closest field muttering gibberish to myself as I walked slowly, dragging my boots against the ground.

I stopped after a few minutes of slowly dragging my feet as I peered up towards the field, or once was a field that I saw made my freeze and had to double-check to make sure I was where I thought I was, and god damn sure I was. The corn I thought I was going to see was gone, just laying on the ground being eaten away by oozing yellow liquid. I now know what made the wells smell so horrible, it was this yellow liquid that was left behind by this storm. Though I swear it didn’t smell like rotten flesh around the house. 

I kept staring at the field before slowly turning myself away, gripping my scarred hands together letting out a shaky breath. I once more looked up, staring at the empty field that was once almost fully grown corn. Horses and corn… At least we have the cows we can sell off the milk to try to pay up all we need to repair everything when the time comes. Holding my head weakly I started my way back to the house, muttering to myself - wish I didn’t have to break the news to my mother. I just hope my father isn’t there and blows up at me.

I dragged my feet slowly against the ground, looking up towards birds that were tweeting quietly, jumping to branch to branch that wasn’t soaked with the strange yellow liquid. It made me smile, at least there are good signs that nature will come back after something will eat it all away. Slowly stepping up onto the floorboards looking around for my mother before stopping seeing her and my father speaking before they turned towards me. “You are back,” My father started staring at me. “What did you find out?” He questioned, staring at me.

I reached my hand to my neck, rubbing for a moment before flinching, moving my hand away, clenching it tightly. “I… The.. Horses are dead... Th-The cows are good…” I can already see my father seething, staring at me as if it was all my fault. “T-The crops… Are gone as well..” This seemed to have broken my father as he came over and slapped me, falling to my side as I held the side of my jaw and chest trembling. “H-Honey!” My mother spoke, pulling my father away before she came to my side holding onto me. 

My father stared at us before walking out, muttering to himself about lairs and stupid kids as he seemed to go check on what I said was correct, during this, I started to cry quietly clenching my jaw. “W-Why..” I muttered, as my mother held my head trying to calm me running her hand through my black hair which was ruffled. Why does it feel he doesn’t love me! He doesn’t care about anything that includes me! Why! WHY! I gripped my head tightly, forgetting the pain on my cheek, my body trembling madly as I tried to calm myself.

14