Chapter 6 [ Darkness Lurks ]
384 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been a month since the storm that destroyed our little world. Let’s start with the good news, the house is fully repaired, same with the cow barn. Which I didn’t notice was damaged at all, as for the former horse barn… Well, it’s still standing but we haven’t touched it, and the smell is starting to die out finally, but frankly I rather not get close. It's still too strong for me. Though I get a strange feeling, my former warm mother has gotten really cold towards me, the same with my older brother. Did I do something wrong? At least my father didn’t change to be abusive towards me.

I gradually looked up from my worn hands, looking around the practically empty living space. The only two things in this space currently are a couch, and a mattress I’m currently sitting on. My room hasn’t been repaired yet, my mother saying we don’t have money to spare on it. I didn’t really mind, the living room is way bigger than my room, plus I get extra blankets to curl into. A small smile formed, as I rotated myself, to pull on my work boots humming weakly.

After pulling on my boots without much effort, I stood stretching my body before making my way to the kitchen where my mother was already there, slaving away like she always does. Hearing a soft clack of my boots, she turned to face before leaning over out of my vision before handing me a piece of bread with butter. “Thank you..” I muttered weakly, as I took the bread from her grasp. She didn’t reply just turning back to what she was cooking, as I took this chance to leave to go outside.

Biting the hard bread I made my way to the smaller field of our three. We had two medium-sized fields, then our small one which we are currently testing to see if we can get our crops to re-grow. Father told us that no one in town or other farmers have found a way to grow crops. The seeds essentially burn up after a few hours of being in the soil. As I arrived at the field, I already saw my older brother and my Father speaking about something. 

Joining up with the duo, breaking off a piece of the hard bread with my teeth, eating it quietly my Father turned to stare at me for a moment before patting my head slightly. “Sorry for being late..” I replied quietly, as he just nodded his head before turning back to my brother. “As I was saying, all of the farmers are saying it’s the cause of the rain and whatever was in it. Acidic to almost everything, which makes logical sense of what happened to our livestock.” My brother nodded listening, as they talked back and forth as I turned my attention to the healthy trees a frown forming.

Pressing my lips together before turning my attention back to my father, giving his shirt a gentle tug to grab his attention. Which took at least three tugs before he finally turned to face me, his eyes were gentle but he still seemed cold as ice. “Why… The trees are ok then?” I mumbled, just loud enough for him to hear of course. Listening to what I have said, my father turned his attention to the trees, my brother doing the same. “I guess that’s a good question, the trees wouldn’t be able to live for long if all the water is contaminated.” My father rubbed his chin before looking back at my brother. “Come with me and we’ll go ask around if anyone found anything around their trees. Purity,” My father turned towards me. “Go around the trees around here and see if you find anything different.” His tone was cold. I just nodded to his command before I slowly made my way to the tree line.

I heard the two of them talking about something, though I dismissed it. It wouldn’t be important for me to know, especially if he wanted me not to hear it. Maybe he thinks I wouldn’t understand. Letting out a sigh staring up at the tops of the trees as my boots made squishing noises as I walked along the damp grass. It seems like the soil is rejecting the water making it all rise back up, but I don’t understand why. Honestly, it seems more and more that I want to blame magic for this hell for affecting my life.

I had finished my hard bread with butter standing in front of one of the many trees, they were soaked in the liquid but the bark on the trees wasn’t burning. I swear if I look close enough, I could see plant-like veins pulsing, taking the water inside of it. I shook my head moving to the other side of the large tree line to stop. The other trees on the other lines were all dead, fallen over, with some of them just mush of smelling liquid. Pressing my soft lips together I looked back to the large trees of the last line.

Whatever types of trees these are, they must be special. Maybe I should ask what these trees are called? Maybe I will help my Father. Taking a few steps away before I stopped turning my gaze back to the trunk. I blink a few times before confirming what I was seeing. They had veins and they were now glowing and pulsing. Slowly making my way closer to the tree, before looking over to the trees next to it, seeing them not doing anything. I had stopped right in front of the tree, being within arm’s length of me as I just stared.

The tree had an oddly charming look to it with it pulsing. Following the glowing veins with my eyes, as the veins twisted around the base of the tree till reaching the middle, with the veins all twisting around each other to form a ball of green pulsing light. Seemed like it was the core of the tree? But why would a tree have a core? I slowly pressed my hand against the tree, as I did the pulsing changed locations and the veins twisted around my small hand as some of the veins broke the bark to hold my hand in place.

Panicking I tried to free my hand, but the green veins didn’t give as I started to feel a stabbing pain in my hand as I let out a yelp of pain, falling onto my knees from the extreme pain. Tears started to form at the corners of my eyes, as I kept pulling still nothing happened. The last thing I remember was my screaming out, before blacking out from the pain.

 

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

 

Going in and out of consciousness, I felt strong arms lift me up from my collapsed position, my eyes slightly opened to see a figure, my eyesight being too blurry to tell whom it was, though as they held me close and warmth washed over me once more I lost consciousness once more.

 

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

 

I don’t know how long it was till I re-opened my eyes, staring up at the sky. My body felt heavy, as I peered around I was by the house. It seemed like the person who moved me wasn’t one of my family members… I wonder who it was. Turning my attention to my hand, I saw nothing different, nothing was glowing, no weird plant-like veins nested in my hand either. Then it hit me, looking around as a soft breeze blew my hair as I tried to see the person who moved me here.

Why would they just leave me outside and not knock? I don’t really understand at all. I gradually got to my feet stretching. I looked down at myself, something was different I could tell. I felt lighter and way more flexible. I bounce slightly on my feet, a smile forming on my face. I felt I was brimming with energy. I stopped looking at myself before looking at the trees off in the distance. I dunno how I’m going to explain to my parents, nor explain to myself either.

That tree did something, I wonder if I will ever find out what it did to me. Letting out a quiet sigh to myself, I made my way to the door before quietly opening it, walking inside. Taking off my boots quietly before setting them down before walking onto the wooden boards I noticed a difference as I walked to the kitchen. My steps are almost silent without my boots on, even with them on I didn’t really notice due to not taking note of my sound of my walking outside. Lost in thought I stopped right behind my mother before looking up towards her, she didn’t seem to notice my presence at all.

“What’s for dinner?” I spoke quietly.

I saw her visibly flinch as she turned around quickly to stare at me. “How long have you been there?” She spoke in a hurriedly fashion staring at me wide-eyed. I just stared at her; did she think I was going to do something to her? Why is she scared? I shook my head before answering. “Just a moment ago,” I muttered, tilting my head. “Are you okay?” I added after a small pause.

“Y-Yes…” She spoke softly before turning away from me. “W-We’re going to have soup, so go get ready your father and brother should be here soon.” She looked back over to me, before smiling. I nodded slowly, before turning walking away, humming quietly as I did so.

 

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

 

[ POV Change: Akibara ] 

[ Flashback a month ago ]

 

My husband and I are in town currently, as we just finished talking to a loan shark. “I think we should accept the deal.” I voiced my thoughts, staring at Nishi. “You are willing to put her up if we don’t pay back in time? Do you really think we could pay that all back within a month?” He shook his head staring at his hands.

“Hell! Now you act like a father to her even after you slapped her and bruised her face. Maybe we shouldn’t have adopted her when she was a child so we wouldn’t have to deal with this!” This made him flinch as he gradually looked up towards me. “Fine! We’ll do it even if we can’t pay it off. At least it isn’t our flesh and blood being taken away from us.” He stood before walking off to the office where the loan shark was waiting for him.

15