Chapter 5
69 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stolas drags his aching body along, taking care not to make too much noise as he walks through the ankle-deep water. Dragging along the large pincer club behind him in one hand and clutching a glowing blue orb in the other. Jade clings to the wall beside him keeping pace and avoiding the water.

Although he should be keeping an eye on his surroundings his thoughts distract him drawing his attention to past events. What a waste…

His eyes constantly flick between the narrow tunnel ahead of them and the orb in his hands. The imp frowns as he recalls the ritual. So many colors in wonderous shades and hues erupting everywhere, but between his unskilled hands and the limitations of the circle he could only gather the blues. All of those different elements lost and wasted.

He would like nothing better than to sit down and study the Tome and possibly find a solution, but without a safe place to do so that is impossible. At least it seems to have survived the whole ordeal without a scratch, probably due to some enchantment. Right now, he needs to decide on what to do with this new core.

Looking over to his side he focuses on his gelatinous companion and thinks back to how much benefit the last core brought them.

“Hey, Jade,” calling out to the slime he holds out the core to it, “Would you like to use this core as well? After that last fight I think you earned it.”

The slime pauses and seems to consider his question for a moment before pushing the core back towards him and continues crawling down the path.

“Why? You were so possessive over the green one before, What’s wrong with this one?” Catching up with his companion he inspects the core with a frown, “You don’t like the color blue?”

Jade’s only reaction is to point down at the shallow river below them and then at him.

“?” Still not really getting what Jade is trying to say, Stolas shrugs and earns himself a spike of pain shooting from his ribs. “If only one of us knew healing magic.”

As an imp Stolas could heal faster than a human using ambient mana, but he needs to be careful using that technique. A source of incompatible mana could easily poison him; it also couldn’t be applied in the middle of combat. And at his level of skill it would still take him few days to recover from what was likely a cracked rib, with or without the technique.

Stopping to let the pain subside, Stolas gazes into the orb. I do have attunement towards water mana… Maybe if I use the core to infuse myself it will heal me?

“Hey Jade let’s stop for a second stop for a second,” Looking around he spots a wide enough alcove.

The slime follows close behind, still clinging to the wall as the imp sits down on the less wet section of the floor. Holding onto the core as Stolas once more sets up a magic circle using the pincers to etch the design into the ground. With a few pauses to rest his side, Stolas quickly finishes the circle and stand in the center.

“Now to test this out.” Stolas grabs the core from Jade and channels mana through the circle. The circle lights like the others before it, encircling him with arcing currents of mana. Being the first time he was on the receiving end of the ritual, new sensations coursed through his body.

Stinging electric-esc shocks arced and burned across his body while the flow of mana shifted and swirled around him. Past these surface level phenomena, he felt something deeper probing out and touching beyond his physical self. He could feel the very make up of his being start to break down wherever it “touched.” Guiding the ritual Stolas drew this strange force towards the core in his hands.

Disintegrating in an instant the core released its mana filling the tunnel with brilliant blue light. Within the confines of the ritual Stolas senses that same force from before moving back to him. Out of instinct he tries to pull away, but finds that once the force takes hold, he can’t move his body. A pain that feels like every atom in his body is being pulled away from each other assails him, and into those gaps flows the icy cold of the elemental mana. Acutely aware of it all, he can do nothing as he feels his body shift and distort.

Just as he’s about to hit his limit and pass out from the pain it ends. The force releases him, and the ritual begins to lose power. Dropping to his knees the imp gasps sucking in much needed air.

Rushing to his side the green slime pushes up against his leg. Trying to reassure it he pats its squishy body.

“I had no idea that was so painful,” While he feels that he should be exhausted after enduring something like that, he doesn’t. Quite the opposite in fact. He feels almost energized, he feels so much stronger than before. “It hurt, but I think it was worth it. I think it even healed-!”

In his excitement Stolas roughly patted his injury.

*Cough*

Doubling over from a burst of pain, the imp grits his teeth. “Okay no it didn’t…”

With a sigh he gingerly rubs his side.

“Well, what did it do?” Looking down at his body he finds not much changed except that he got a bit taller with a little bit more muscle definition. The only noticeable change he could see were the tips of his fingers darkened.

“?” Flexing his fingers caused the nails on his hands to extend into inch long blue claws. Looking closely, he can see a bit of condensation forming around them as the surrounding air cooled. “Ice claws? *Akem* I suppose that’s useful but… There’s a reason why I prefer spears and not punches…”

Frowning is some dissatisfaction at this change Stolas starts thinking about how it could help him.

By his side Jade extends a tendril excitedly pointing at his face and trying to get his attention.

“*Cough* What? Is there something wrong?” Touching his face, he searches for what it could possibly be. His hand stops once it reaches his forehead, something feels off. Rushing over to the river he gazes at his reflection seeing the most prominent change.

“Really? I can believe it…” His horns had gown two finger withs longer and doubled their original thickness. With a slight curve they point towards the ceiling.

*Cough* *Cough* His elation is cut short by a coughing fit. “Ugh, why do lungs feel weird?”

With a deep breath he tries to clear his throat and chest, expelling a chilly mist.

“…” Sharing a “look” with Jade Stolas is stunned for a second. “Well I suppose that is more useful than the claws… like spear was…”

Although he wasn’t entirely satisfied with the results of his ritual, he decided it would be best to proceed to the next step, and that next step should be food or shelter.

*Gruuu~*

Definitely food, and soon.

Looking back to his companion and the wall behind it he notices Jade had left a rather clean horizontal streak where it passed, removing anything organic in its wake.

“You know Jade, sometimes I wish I were a slime. Then I wouldn’t have to worry about food so much…”

While Stolas lightly complained, the slime on the other hand bobbed for a second before taking off down the tunnel.

“Hey where are you going?! That’s dangerous!” Chasing after the surprisingly quick slime the Stolas splashes down the tunnel. Chasing it through the dark he loses the slime down a forked path. “Wait, Jade! …Impulsive little- Huh?”

A faint scent of something caught his attention, breathing in the air he follows his nose leading him towards the opposite fork Jade went down. It smells like wood smoke. If he can smell that then…

“Jade! Hey! I think I found the exit!” If not then he probably found other people who can help him find one, even if they are friendly or not.

“Jade?” He is about to go down the tunnel looking for her when sees the runaway slime booking it down the tunnel towards him. Attached to its gelatinous body are several bubbles, each containing bundles of tiny yellowish balls.

“Did you actually find something? I’m impressed…” Stolas trails off mid praise as the slime doesn’t stop and continues “sprinting” past him down the exit tunnel. “…?”

“That can’t be good…”

Peering into the dark something pale and bulky comes barreling into view. Six spindly legs propel its massive size down the tunnel, as a large pincer, bigger that the one he has, snaps furiously in the air. Without giving it another thought, Stolas spins around and chases after the fleeing slime.

“Damnit Jade! What did you do?!” The giant crab bares down on them as they manage to keep the distance between it and them. Running as fast their bodies can take the pair quickly traverse the length of the tunnel. Rounding the final bend, the rocky passage opens up revealing the darkened sky of the outside world.

In the mouth of the tunnel and near the small stream flowing from the cave sits a feminine shadow, with her back to the approaching pair she stirs a small campfire. A large ear at the top of her head twitches sensing their approach. Snapping around she sees Stolas and Jade charging at her.

“?” Jumping to her feet two daggers flash out into her hands and a low growl rumbles out of the stranger’s throat.

“Out of the way!” Stolas and Jade attempt sprint past the confused girl with wolf like features. He tries to dodge to the side, but she also attempts to jump out of the way putting her back in his path.

*Thwunk*

The meaty sound of two skulls colliding echoes in their respective heads, sending Stolas and the new girl to the ground in a tangled heap.

“Ow…” Pushing himself up on to his hands and knees Stolas finds himself staring face to blushing face with the wolfgirl. Looking at her from this close a thought pops into his head, She’s kind of cute in a tomboyish way… Just as that thought passed through his mind, the ground rumble slightly reminding him of why he was running in the first place.

“Tssss!” The giant cave crab rushes from the tunnel frothing bubbles and hissing out its fury. Spotting the source of its rage laying on the ground before it, the crustacean charges forward swinging its larger pincer.

Purely on instinct he pulls the girl beneath him in with his free hand and rolls, swinging the pincer club with the other. The two chitinous weapons collide sending shock waves through his body.

*Cough* Mist hisses through his gritted teeth as his rib shoots spikes of pain through his side.

“H-hey let go already!” Squirming out his grasp the red faced wolfgirl jumps to her feet holding her daggers out between her and the new arrivals. “What is going on?!”

“Can’t explain, need help!” The imp grunts between heavy breaths. Jumping to his feet he barely moves in time to dodge another strike.

The wolfgirl backs off trying to make sense of the situation, confusion and hesitance showing on her face. Meanwhile Stolas backs off swing his club to deflect the thinner sharper one of the crab’s pincers. Jade come up along the side spraying bubbles that all attach to the crustacean’s armor, avoiding a retaliation the slime leaps into the air and floats out of reach.

With it turned to attack Jade, Stolas circles around the crab smashing the pincer club against the it’s exposed back. Unable to put his full force into the swing, the club bounces off the crab’s shell. The recoil from the hit travels through the imp’s arm and into his rib. The pain stuns Stolas for just a moment, but that is all giant crustacean needs.

Spinning with enough force to kick up a spray of rocks, the crab’s large pincer shoots out. There’s no time to evade forcing Stolas to brace against the attack using his club to intercept. The heavy force of the crab’s claw proves too great and it blows through his meager defense sending the imp flying back several feet. Trying to draw its attention from Stolas, Jade lands on its back spreading its acid across the crab’s shell.

The wolfgirl looks over to Stolas where he lands by her feet and over to the crab where its currently fighting to pull off Jade. With a low groan she makes a decision to help.  

With a deep breath to steel herself, the wolf sprints towards the giant crustacean. Leaping up she nimbly jumps along its spindly legs using each as a foot hold to get higher. Jade makes room for the wolfgirl. Using her built up momentum she plunges both daggers into the softened shell. Yanking both out only to plunge them into the crab again, she starts to crack and chip away at her enemy’s shell.

Not letting their new ally do all the work, Jade focuses on the crab’s eye stalks lashing out with thin green tendrils.

“Fsss!” Bubbles hiss from the crustacean’s mouth. Retracting it’s sensitive organs the giant crab shudders violently in an attempt to dislodge its assailants. The wolfgirl and slime hold on for as long as they can but are forced to move when the crustacean rakes both pincers across its own back.

Dropping to the ground the wolfgirl and slime fall back further dodging a follow up attack from the crab’s large pincer. It advances on the two of them swinging the smaller one in pursuit.

“Raah!” Stolas shouts at the top of his lungs, both from the exertion of swinging his chitinous club and to draw the crab’s attention away from the other two. The large club arcs high overhead, with a shattering crash the club crushes the giant crab’s smaller pincer.

“Fssss! Brru, Tsss!” Retreating a step, the crab rampages kicking up dirt and rock in all directions. Cradling its broken appendage, the crustacean stares at them for a second…

Stolas and the other’s tense and ready themselves for the next attack, an attack that doesn’t come.

Deciding that continuing the fight would cost it too much the crab slowly backs off, and scurries away.

“And don’t come back!” The wolfgirl shouts at the long gone back of the crab with both hands on her hips. Her fluffy gray and black tail swishes back and forth in subtle pride.

“Puahhh…” Releasing a held breath Stolas collapses to his knees in a mixture of relief and exhaustion.

“Now,” She turns towards the imp and the slime with an eyebrow, “Who the hell are you and what was that about?”

The Linum guild hall slowly starts to fill with early risers and morning staff, Daria and Ignatz sit at on of the many tables in the back sharing a pot of dark liquid. Joining them at the table is a representative of the Guiding Star merchant company and a bandaged guard.

The armored adventurer takes a slow sip from his cup, as Daria leaves hers untouched. “This drink is marvelous. What did you call it?”

“Coffee.” The representative gives the two of them his best business smile as he pulls a small packet of ground coffee from his satchel. On the face of the packet is the same merchant’s mark as the tins found in Stolas’ cave. “We have a large variety available for purchase if you’re interested-”

“We’re not.” Daria leans back in her chair, her mouth set somewhere between a frown and a scowl.

“Daria!” Ignatz hisses through his teeth before giving the merchant an apologetic smile. “You’ll have to forgive my companion Mr. Samuel. Our last venture didn’t go well.”

“I understand we all have bad days.” The merchant calmly replies adjusting his glasses, the glint in his eyes goes cold and calculating contrasting with the warm smile on his face. “What did you want to discuss?”

“My companion and I recently ran into a blue horned imp,” Ignatz began rifling through his pouch pulling out a folded piece pf parchment. The injured guard’s eyebrows twitch at the mention of Stolas, A reaction Daria doesn’t miss.

“What is it?” Daria gives the female guard an appraising look, paying close attention to how the woman’s upper arm and hand are bandaged. “You have a run in with him too?”

“Uhh,” She sneaks a glance towards the merchant, before continuing, “Probably, I doubt there are that many blue horns around these parts, so it might have been the same one.”

“I was told you two might have information regarding a recently attacked shipment. Ms. Braya is here to verify your claims.” The merchant cuts in drawing the attention back to him, he gives Braya a polite smile. “I would have preferred to let her rest and recover, but Ms. Elisa is currently out of town.”

“I doubt I’ll be much help…” She awkwardly scratches her cheek with her remaining fingers on her injured hand, the ring and littlest finger were missing.

“Well,” Ignatz taps on the parchment before him, “We did find the imp’s stash, and we were wondering if any of your merchandise was in there.”

Braya thinks for a moment, “Most of the stuff in the cart were low cost shelf filler, but we did have two valuable items get taken. A float wand and a lesser ring of flames.”

“Is this it?” Ignatz pulls out the ruby ring from Stolas’ cave.

“Yeah.”

“I see, so it is the missing shipment…” The merchant nods pulling out piece of paper of his own and starts writing something down. “I assume you want a reward for finding it?”

“If you would be so kind.” The adventure gives him a charming smile, and slides his parchment forward exchanging the note with the merchant’s, “This should be the location of the cave we found it in.”

“Very well,” Taking a brief moment to look at the map inside Ignatz’ note, the merchant looks back to the adventurers, “Thank you, is there anything else?”

“We want a bounty.” Daria levels a neutral gaze at the merchant keeping her expression firm.

“What my companion means, is that we would like to turn the imp in for a bounty when we kill it.”

“The imp is just a minor nuisance…” The merchant goes silent for a second as he considers their request. “But, you did do us a favor. I’ll see what I can do.”

With that the two parties stand and get ready to leave. Once the merchant duo leave Ignatz turns Daria.

“See that wasn’t so bad.”

“Mmm,” She just shrugs, “I still don’t like merchants.”

“Anyway, we should be off.” The duo stat heading towards the doors, “We still need to check with the mages about that spear.”

1