Chapter 10
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fighting through the haze of his muddled mind Stolas struggles to his hands and knees. The world slowly comes into focus around him. Slowly he becomes aware of a hand gently rests on his shoulder. Following the length of the arm up, his eyes come to a rest on Ansel’s face.

Her mouth is moving, but he has no idea what she’s saying. He can hear the words, but they don’t make sense to him. Sitting up his swaying body is supported by the wolf girl. While his mind starts to untangle itself, he looks around at their surroundings.

He, Ansel and about fourteen other people sit in the center of a cold, hard, stone brick room. Dark iron bars separate him and the others from two exits, one an open hallway leading to another large empty cell and the other is a large barred wooden door. Two orc guards sit at a table next to the door playing a dice game.

“Hey, come on Stolas. You still with me?” Ansel places her hands on his cheeks turning him to face her. “Seriously, are you okay?”

“…No.” He groggily shakes off her hands, “My whole-body hurts and I can barely think straight…”

Relief ripples through her and she gives him a small smirk. “If you’re saying that then I think you are okay.”

“You have a terrible definition of ‘okay.’” Looking past Ansel, he focusses on the other prisoners. All fourteen of them are humans who each give the orcs nervous glances while only a few in the group remain calm. Most likely adventurers he concludes. Nodding his head towards them Stolas asks, “Are they the merchants?”

“Probably,” The wolf girl shrugs and sits down next to him. “They were already here when I woke up, and none seem like they will talk to me. So, I don’t know for sure.”

“You tried talking with them already?”

“Nah, I didn’t even bother. Their all sticking to their own side of the cell.”

“Hmm,” Dropping the subject, Stolas rubs his hand across his face attempting to clean some of the dirt irritating his skin.

“Tsss!” Wincing he draws back and finds blood coating his fingers. Blood and fragments of something hard and flaky. Anxiety grips his heart as his hand shoots back to his forehead, finding what he feared.

One of his horns has shattered leaving only a small jagged stump.

Across the cell from the imp and wolf girl, two of the merchant’s group carefully watch their new cellmates, well one does. The woman sits with her knees up to her chin as she bites her thumb nail.

“You know Eliza, if you keep chewing like that you won’t have a thumb left to chew on.” The man lounging next to her was the picture of calm and relaxed. He leaned his muscular frame flat along the cold floor, staring up and counting the cracks on the ceiling.

“It’s Elisa! With an ‘S.’” Dropping her hand she instead fiddles with her necklace. “Why do I have to keep correcting you?”

“A difficult name for a difficult woman…”

“Do you want me to stab you?”

“Is that what you’ve been doing this whole time?” He sits up with mock astonishment on his face. “You’ve been whittling a dagger out of your nail?”

“By the gods above and below! Do you ever shut up?” She could feel a headache building behind her temple.

“Not really…” With a thump he drops his body back to the floor assuming his original position. Much to Elisa’s relief the man stays quiet, for about a minute. Looking up at her he catches the merchant woman staring Stolas and Ansel again. “Do you recognize them?”

“…No… I don’t think I do…” Almost startled by his question she looks away, but it’s not long before her eyes gravitate to them again. “…but he looks familiar…”

“I heard there was a bounty on a blue horned imp.” He kept his voice low so the others around them couldn’t hear and watch her closely gauging her reaction. “Is that him?”

“It might be…”

“Just as a warning if you plan on cashing in on that bounty, then you should let the others know. I don’t know how it is for merchants, but trust is key among adventurers, and you can’t trust someone who plots and steals behind your back.”

“I have no such intentions!” Shocked by his insinuation she nearly shouts, drawing looks from the nearby merchants. Ducking her head out of embarrassment she lowers her voice. “I just think he might be the one who attacked Braya.”

“The magic user?”

“Yeah, I think he can help us escape.”

“You’ll only get yourself killed.” He waves his hand dismissing the idea and rolls to his side. “Just sit here patiently and wait for the company to pay our ransom, it’ll be quick I promise.”

“I’ll be right back.” Ignoring him Elisa stands up on her stiff legs and starts heading towards the other side of the cell.

“Hey, hold on a second!” Jumping to his feet the adventurer chases after her. “Elisa wait!”

Stolas gingerly touches his shattered horn and winces from the sharp stinging pain of more bits of horn flaking away. An intense itch crawled around the damaged skin calling him to scratch away more, the pain and worry only serves to make the sensation worsen in a growing cycle.

“Stop touching it,” Ansel pulls his hand away, “You’re just making it worse.”

“I know, I can’t help it…” looking to distract himself the imp turns away and notices two of the humans approaching them. “What do they want?”

The merchant girl dressed in faded green robes, approaches with long strides that do get shorter once she locks eyes with the imp. The adventurer chasing after her wore what appeared to be the padded clothing meant to prevent armor from harming the skin under it.

“E-excuse me…” Despite neither of them responding Elisa charges on ahead, “It would seem that we are in quite the predicament together… Well that is to say, we’re both in a bad spot… I mean do either of you speak common?”

“I can see why you were put in charge of inventory and not sales.”

“Shut up!” She quickly hisses through her teeth at him before turning a fake smile at the imp and wolf girl, “Please just Ignore Scholtz, he’s an idiot.”

“Well that’s a bit unnecessary, don’t you think?”

“What do you want?” Ansel crosses her arms and leans back, keeping her attention on the adventurer.

“Right.” Taking a breath to collect her thoughts the merchant leans in and whispers, “I would like you to help us escape.”

The imp and wolf girl share a look, before Ansel responds, “Just you two?”

“No not just us, we want to help the others as well.” She shakes her head, “I couldn’t possibly leave my co-workers to rot.”

“Hold on.” Butting in Scholtz shows a firm expression for the first time. “There’s no need to do that we’ll be released at the end of the month. Why are you so adamant about escaping?”

Turning to him with a firm gaze, her voice is just low enough not to be overheard by the rest. “This isn’t the first time our caravan has been targeted.”

“I wouldn’t really say targeted, but yeah we’ve been attacked before. What of it?” Scholtz scratches his head and shrugs. “There’s been an increase in monster attacks along North Gelum road so it’s to be expected.”

“Not for the other companies.” Elisa give him a short glare, “Didn’t you notice? We’ve been attacked more and suffered greater damage.”

Stolas curls his lips down, not entirely following with her train of thought. “So what does that have to do with you escaping?”

“Because we can’t afford to keep paying these ransoms.” The merchant’s hand reaches up and squeezes her pendant before her eyes light up in barely contained rage. “And I can’t stand the thought of those bastards pawing through my merchandise!”

“…” Stolas and Ansel share a look.

“Easy there…” The adventure holds his hands up as if to calm an upset animal. “There’s no need to be rash, we just have to be more prepared next time.”

“Okay, I can understand that little bit, but what does that have to do with us? This sounds like a problem for you humans to deal with. Why would we help you?” Ansel nods agreeing with his sentiments.

“Because there is one more thing.” She pauses her eyes focusing on the imp’s broken horn. “My-ahem, Lord Elowin entrusted me with a gift meant for the lord of the next town. It’s an amulet, an amulet of greater healing.”

“Healing?” His fingers instinctively find their way to his forehead.

“Yes, if you do help us, I will gladly use it on you.” She nods.

“…”

“We’ll need some time to think it over.” Ansel steps in since it didn’t seem like Stolas was going to answer.

“Don’t take too long. If your wound scars over, the amulet can’t help you.” With those final words she steps back and heads towards the rest of the humans.

“…” Stolas sits in silence as he gently rubs at the scorched skin on his head.

“Are you thinking about accepting?” Ansel sits back against the wall next to him.

“I might…” When another piece of horn flakes off he pulls his hand back and drops in into his lap. “She’s right though. I don’t have much time to think about it. With my naturally quick healing I have maybe a day or two before it’s ‘too late.’”

“She could have been lying about that amulet.”

“Possibly, but if that amulet is real, then she wasn’t lying about the effect. It would take a stronger magic than what she claimed to heal scars.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, it takes a huge amount of power to restore missing body parts.” His fingers move back to the damaged horn.

“You’re pretty odd you know. You say you can’t use magic but know a lot about it. More than anyone else I know.”

“That’s because-” The shriek of iron hinges interrupts him as the stone room fills with the sounds of heavy boots.

Leading a group of orcs Lord Shakar, the troll from before, lumbers into view. Despite his slight hunch the troll was still taller than his guards. He wore leather that appears to have been made from a bear’s pelt which left his torso bare showing off her lean muscled body.

Lord Shakar Stops before the cell bars silently observing Stolas and Ansel and takes a slow sip from the wine goblet he brought with him. The alcohol had tinted his bluish face purple, suggesting that this was not his first glass of the evening. Taking in Stolas’ shabby appearance a slight scowl forms on the troll’s lips before he turns his attention towards the wolf girl.

“She’s a werewolf? Humm.” Scratching his beard Shakar’s eyes linger on Ansel before he turns back to the imp. “So, you’re the one that mage wants. Humm… I’ll never understand their kind…”

With a shrug and a shake of his head the troll dismisses any curiosity he had and motions for his guards to come forward. “Take him to Idaghast.”

The guards open the cell and two step in with swords drawn, one to ward off the other prisoners and the other to usher Stolas out.

“And bring the werewolf to my chambers.” He nonchalantly adds as an afterthought, before finishing his wine and leaving.

The guards follow his commands without a word and prod Ansel along with the point of their swords.

“Hey back off!” Ansel tries to sidestep the orc approaching her but another steps in catching her by the wrist dragging her out.

“Wait!” Stolas tries to intervene but the orc next to him blocks him with a sword.

“Hurry up and go,” The orc grabs Stolas’ arm and drags him along nearly taking the imp off his feet, “I’m already pissed off that mage stole my room. Don’t anger me further.”

The orc’s harsh scowl forces Stolas into compliance, he can only helplessly watch as the guards drag him and Ansel off. Getting dragged through the halls the two exchange a final fearful look as they are separated.

Once more Stolas finds himself standing before the mage’s closed door, only this time with far less friendly company. Reaching out one the orcs grasps the handle.

*BZZZRT*

Electricity arcs along his arm blackening his skin where it touches.

“Graah!” The orc’s shout rattles Stolas’ eardrums. Out of fury the injured orc smashes his other hand against the door but is stopped by a magic shield of some sort. “Damned mage! Open this door!”

A mere moment later the door swings open, reveling Idaghast with an irritated scowl, “Wizard.”

“What?”

“I spent countless years earning my robes, so you will refer to me by my appropriate title. I’m not some violence obsessed adventurer.” Despite them being taller he still somehow managed to look down his nose at the pair of orcs.

“Fuck you.” Before the injured orc could continue his companion steps in.

“We brought the imp as Lord Shakar requested.”

“As I requested.”

The guard ignores Idaghast’s correction and continues on regardless.

“Lord Shakar has given you permission to do as you wish, short of killing him.” The wizard’s jaw tightens at the orc’s phrasing, but ultimately, he stays quiet letting the guard finish. “We will wait here to take the prisoner back.”

“Tch.” Clicking his tongue, the wizard turns his focus towards Stolas and grabs the imp’s collar dragging him. “Why are you still standing there? Get inside.”

Once inside Idaghast half shoves half throws Stolas into one of the chairs. Rubbing a hand across his face he mutters in a low voice, “These fools are no different than those in the guild.”

Pacing back and forth to relieve some pent-up energy the wizard come to a halt before same cluttered table Ansel found the pendant on. This time it seems to have accrued more clutter, and among the objects is Stolas’ spear. Without turning the wizard starts addressing him.

“You can speak common right?” Not waiting for a response, he continues, “I’m surprised one of your kind deigned to learn a human language. But then again imps aren’t too high up on the pecking order, are they?”

“But… I suppose anyone will do what they need to survive.” Idaghast picks up the spear, calmy inspecting it as he speaks. “It was necessary, right? You needed to learn it so you could survive on your own.”

“That’s quite the assumption you’re making…”

Still holding the spear, the wizard locks eyes with the imp. “Is it wrong?”

“…Not entirely…”

“Of course not.” Holding out the spear the wizard points it at Stolas’ chest, “Listen closely because I will tell you what you need to do to survive another day.”

The imp sinks back in his chair as Idaghast advances placing the tip of the spear above his heart. “You will explain what magic you applied to this spear. How you changed it. What that orb was. And finally, you will assist in my experiments.”

“You know, negotiations at the end of the spear aren’t exactly fair,” nervous laughter rattles from his lips. The imp tries pushing aside the point but despite Idaghast’s loose grip the magic refuses to let it budge. “And I don’t think killing me would be the best idea.”

“…” Without shifting his cold gaze even a fraction, Idaghast pulls the spear back thrusts it into the imp’s thigh. The point bites deep enough to pierce bone.

“Shit?!” Stolas’ hand shoot out and grasp the spear trying to extract it, but it once more remains unmoved.

“This isn’t a negotiation.” The wizard leans in close enough for Stolas to smell his breath. “This is an ultimatum. You will assist me willingly or I draw your secrets from your dead body.”

With short jerk Idaghast retracts the spear and places it back on the table. A smirk pulls at the corner of his mouth, addressing Stolas as he presses his hand against the wound. “I have somethings to prepare before our first experiment. Take the night to think it over, I will speak with you again tomorrow.”

Calling for the guards outside he sends Stolas to be dragged back to the cells by his indifferent captors.

0