Vol.19 Ch.5: Cornelia von Galen
51 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Not a moment passed since Fiona and Karen entered the gym and somebody already greeted them, it was Cornelia. "Good, I see you safely made it."

"Huh?” Karen raised an eyebrow. ”Why the heck do you make it sound like such a big deal?"

“Because today is the long-awaited scrim,” Cornelia said. “So, I thought you might run away from the challenge.”

"Pft, do you seriously think anybody gonna run away from a skill-less twat like you?"

"What was that?" Cornelia glared at Karen, and Karen glared back. There were invisible sparks in the air.

"Now, now." Fiona caressed her sister's head, calming down the fierce beast. "Let’s not open the day with a quarrel, alright?"

"But, she started it...!" Karen pouted at first but soon succumbed to her sister's gentle stroking.

With the little beast peacified, Fiona turned to the girl challenging them. "Good morning to you, Cornelia." 

"A fine morning to you as well, Fiona Landberht." Cornelia made a little courtesy bow. It was like watching a young lady from the Victorian era.

These days, such an archaic gesture would be considered silly, even in an old-fashioned school like St. Mary’s. However, Cornelia was so dedicated to the art that her execution was flawless. It felt so natural that it was hard to make a bad comment on it.

Of course, that still did not stop some people from laughing at her all the same.

"Pft, look at her go." Karen sneered. "Doing the 'noble lady' skit again? I laugh every time."

"Skit? There is no skit here. After all, I AM a noble lady, a scion of the von Galen family."

"More like von Asshat."

"You sure enjoy running your mouth, don't you?" Cornelia twitched. "A mere servant like you has no right to speak in this manner to a noble lady."

"What was that!?" Karen jumped forward, ready to throw some hands at that pompous fake “lady”.

"Karen, please calm down." Fiona averted the disaster in the nick of time by stepping in. "Cornelia, I believe I asked kindly of you to not address my dear sister like that again." 

Cornelia rolled her eyes. "Pft, 'sister'. Yeah, right."

"CORNELIA. VON. GALEN. Please." It was phrased like a polite request but it was actually a demand, Fiona’s sharp tone made that clear. The temperature in the gym must have dropped by at least two degrees in response.

"F-Fine, it was my bad," Cornelia stammered. "T-Though, I have said nothing wrong, did I? Why insist on this fake pretense?”

“What pretense, exactly?” Karen barked back. “Just so you know, our sisterly bond is a billion times more real than your fake blonde.”

“W-What was that!?” Cornelia almost tripped as she stepped backward. “Y-Y-Y-You mere lowly commoner! You have no right to speak this way to a noble lady like me…!”

It was an embarrassing sight. Both sides threw insults at each other while disregarding everybody around them.

Fiona stepped in between the two dangerous beasts. “Do you two mind calming down?” 

“But sis, this damn twat!” “Tch, you vulgar pleb!” “Von Asshat!” “Rubble!”

“CALM. DOWN. Please.” Fiona’s tone was as calm as ever, yet there was a certain fierceness to it that froze both girls in place.

Truly, this was a tiresome affair. This routine always made Fiona feel like a mother who had to watch over two brats.

Fortunately, Fiona's forceful demand extinguished the raging fire. However, it was not over, not yet.

"Very well," Cornelia said. "You are quite right, Fiona. It is unbecoming for a noble lady such as myself to stoop to the level of a commoner. I apologize for my misconduct."

"That shit doesn't sound like an apology at all!" Karen waved an angry fist, ready to jump the obnoxious girl. Alas, she couldn't do that at all as long as Fiona stood in the way. Grrrr!

"We have a practice match today, remember?" Fiona asked. "So, how about you two take all that energy of yours and pour it into the game?"

"Alright, sis!" Karen nodded. "Just you watch, von Asshat! I'mma mop the floor real hard with you in the game!" 

"Hmph, big words for a commoner." Cornelia lifted her chin. "But, 'tis a fine proposal. Very well. I shall prove my superiority via a game of volleyball."

"Hah, you'll try."

"And, I will succeed. My victory is all but assured."

"Fat chance. Tell me the last you've ever beaten me at anything, I'll wait."

"Why, easily.” Cornelia nodded. “I beat you all the way back at birth when I was born a noble and not a commoner.”

"Grrrr!” Karen hissed. "Sis, can't I hit this girl? Just once? Pretty please?" 

"No."

"Oof." Karen pouted. Oh well. They’ll have to settle this through volleyball then.

"With that said," Cornelia continued. "It goes without saying that stomping a commoner is but an appetizer for the real event." She thrust her finger toward her real opponent. "Fiona Landberht, I challenge thee to a duel! Today is the day I shall finally reign supreme! I swear it on the von Galen name!" 

“Pft.” Karen sneered. "Don't you swear this shit every single time?"

"Karen, langue," Fiona scolded.

"Whoopsie." Karen playfully stuck out her tongue. "But, seriously. Cornelia spouts that nonsense every dang time but she always loses lmao."

"S-Silence, you!" Cornelia's voice cracked. "Today is going to be different from all the days that came before! I-It was all practice until now! Yes, it was merely a long buildup for this one decisive moment…!"

"Whoa, somebody better call an ambulance because we got a delusional person over here."

"You dare insult me still, you mere pleb!?" 

"Now, now." Fiona stepped in once again. "Please, girls. Play nice."

"Hmph." Cornelia crossed her arms and lifted her chin. "Very well. I have no reason to be agitated over something a commoner says anyway."

Karen grinned in response. "Well, I’ll make sure to give you a reason to be agitated when I whoop your ass in the game.”

"Hmph. I can defeat commoners like you with my eyes closed," Cornelia proclaimed. "However, you, Fiona Landberht, are a worthy opponent. Therefore, today, I swear to smite you down and reclaim the honor of the von Galen family!" 

I do not remember ever sullying your family's honor... Fiona retorted silently. "Very well, I accept your challenge. However, do keep in mind that this is a team sport, so you cannot focus only on me the whole time." 

"Worry not.” Cornelia puffed her chest in confidence. “I shall make sure to defeat you convincingly while I put the rest of your team under my thumb as well."

"That sounds very promising." Fiona nodded. "Also, please make sure you do not try to handle everything by yourself. You have an entire team with you, so you should cooperate with them to achieve your goal."

"Hmph. I suppose I may borrow the servants’ help shall the need arise."

"They can hear you talk, just so you are aware…"

A couple of girls gave Cornelia the evil eye after being called "servants". Needless to say, Cornelia was not exactly high on the club's popularity list.

At the same time, nobody pushed too hard to remove her from the club. Despite her haughty attitude, Cornelia did possess a decent amount of skill, therefore it was difficult for the other girls to confront her directly.

"Very well." Cornelia nodded in satisfaction at this resolution and finally stepped away. "With this out of the way, it is time for warmup."

"Indeed, it is," Fiona agreed. And, we are overdue on that by more than five minutes already, thanks to you.

And so, two sides disengaged for now. But, soon enough, they will run into each other once more. This time, on the battlefield that was the volleyball court.

Don't forget to vote for the chapter and review the story!

0