SIDE STORY – Social Practice
315 16 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

Yuko Perspective

 

For the first time in a while, I fell asleep before cooking myself lunch for today. Reluctantly, I made my way into the cafeteria to buy a quick lunch. Madoka-chan is busy with things today, so she won’t be in there. That’s fine though, I figured it was a good day to be alone and…practice my lines.

After getting lunch, I rushed out of the cafeteria.

“Good morning, Madoka-chan!”

 

8b7b6583-c6fe-47b2-b9fb-9caa4e3279f6_charastudio-2021-08-29-05-22-35-render.png

 

I cried out to the door to the roof. It was locked to all the students for safety reasons so this little section nobody comes to. I found it last year as a first-year, and it's been a great take my mind away spot from things.

“Ah…nnn…Good morning, Koda-san! H-How were your exams?”

I pushed it out with force, but all that came was a whimper similar to a worn-out puppy.

“Koda-san! How was…exams!”

I worried most about how I could approach Koda-san. She…reminds me so much of that…mean Koda-san from the hospital. My mind starts to race when she’s around, and…I don’t want to say the wrong things and get Madoka-senpai upset again.

“G-Good morning, Madoka-chan, K-Koda-san!”

“What are you doing?”

My head spun around mechanically as I caught my eyes with Conway-san. With her hands on her hips and a tilt of her cold head, she bit at her lip in seeming confusion. She brushed her long hair as she made her way up the rest of the flight of steps.

“Ahh… W-What are…you are doing here?”

“I was bored and decided to walk around the school. That’s when I heard strange echoes coming from up here, and…well, you know the rest.”

“Ehhhh?! You could h-hear me?”

“Well, you weren’t being subtle about it.”

She crossed her arms and stood up to me.

“I heard you call out Madoka-san’s and her stepsister's name. What on earth are you doing up here?"

“Ehhh…ahh…”

I couldn't reply…I was too ashamed. My mind started racing, and before I knew it, my feet began to rush away. I never had any control over when this happened. All I could think was, “Run, run, run, run, run!” I didn’t even know where I was going to go, but before I reached the steps, her arm reached out and stopped me, cornering me like a cat to a mouse.

“Aww…eeehhh…”

“Calm down, moron. I’m not going to beat you up! Why are you trying to run all of a sudden?”

My legs gave out as I fell to the floor. My butt slammed into the cold tiles as I pushed my way away from her. My back hit up against the wall as she approached fearsomely. She leaned down, put her arm on the wall, and looked me in the eye. The shadow of the foreigner hovered over me. My spine rippled as a sense of dread captured me.

 

2aafa3a0-5717-4553-990e-d2191ecd3ec8_charastudio-2021-08-29-05-15-14-render.png

e4f0536a-70e6-43b0-82ca-bc88ee916273_charastudio-2021-08-29-05-15-51-render.png

6bdeb3e6-4ddc-47e8-afdc-b770349dd7e6_charastudio-2021-08-29-05-16-16-render.png

 

“Are you afraid of me?”

“Ehh…ahh…n-no…”

“Then why the heck are you panicking? Calm down and relax. I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Oh…ah…okay.”

Her thin fingers pat my head softly. Adorably, she brought out that calming smile, and it soothed my heart.

“I take it you’re practicing your social skills?”

“Ah…eh…yeah.”

I gave in. Since I was young, I had no social skills. Just by chance, I got into the art club, and Saya-san was nice enough to guide me. Eventually, Saki-chan came, and I was able to get to know them better. But…I’ve always had a hard time speaking with people. But…Madoka-chan…I-I really…really want to get to talk to her more.

Last night I was sat on my bed, looking at my phone. With my knees firmly pressing my sheets I stared at my phone for far longer than a normal person should.

I’ve had Madoka-san’s number for so long, but I could never push the button. Like taking a bite of the forbidden fruit, I never wanted to encroach on her that way. But…I would love to call her, talk about my day with her. Hear her voice before bed…

It felt like a dream of mine.

“Well, we have the rest of the lunch period. Sounds like you could use some help.”

I didn’t even tell her what I was doing, but she stood up and walked down the steps. So, I followed her without question. My nervousness was off the charts.

Now together, we stood outside on the freezing cold day. Conway-san suggested it, and I didn’t speak up, so she took that as a definite yes.

“Now, I’m Madoka-san, say what you want to me.”

“Ehh…ahhh…”

I closed my eyes.

“Good morning!”

“Good morning.”

Flatly, she replied. The wind blew around us and caused the trees to bounce around in the noise. It was loud…louder than the conversation between us. After a while, the mini Madoka-chan with bright hair spoke up.

“Aren’t you going to say anything else?”

“Ahh…ehh…. I…I’m not sure what to talk…to you…about, Conway-san.”

“I’m not Conway; I’m Madoka-san.”

“Arrggg…Ah…I-It’s cold today.”

She put her hands on her hips and lowered her gaze.

"Out of all the past memories you two have…you go with the weather?"

“B-But you’re not Madoka-chan.”

“Right now, I’m the best Madoka-chan you’re gonna get. Now start with a real conversation. You’re never going to express yourself to her if you can’t even do it in practice.”

I clammed up for a bit and waited. What rushed through my head was the time in the hospital. There I wanted to speak with her about all the things she was missing. About my family situation and the things, my grandma left to me…how…it would change my life in the future, and I was a little scared about it.

“…I wanted to chat with you…a-about in the…past.”

My mouth began to move as I closed my eyes. I pushed forwards to express my feelings.

“Ah, c-can we chat about…my g-grandma?”

“Your grandma?”

Conway-san tilted her head, but then she perked up. It seems the spirit of Madoka-chan came back into her.

“Ah, you and Madoka-san would chat about your grandma?”

“Yeah…S-she passed away, a-and Madoka-san…ahh...”

She nodded as I tried to express myself.

“I’m sorry to hear that. I…would love to hear the stories about your grandma.”

 

4785b866-7c3d-4686-a686-781a7e6b7290_charastudio-2021-08-29-05-18-48-render.png

 

Sophia-san reached out to me with a smile I didn’t realize she could make. It was warm…and had a hint of confidence that I wanted. Slowly, Conway-san was helping me become all the more confident, wasn’t she? Just like before on the day that it rained, without her help I wouldn’t have been able to confront Madoka-chan…and ask her to be better friends with me.

 

“…Thank you, Conway-san…a-ah…I’m not ready to…chat with you about…g-grandma though.”

I sighed.

“B-But maybe…one day we can chat too?”

She nodded and continued giving me that wonderful beam of hers. In the cold wind, her golden hair danced…and it looked really cool. Conway-san…was a cool person. She had the confidence that I wanted one day.

“Of course, I would enjoy that.”

The bell rang soon after and we went our separate ways. Conway-san was slowly becoming someone I was able to trust day by day.

11