Ch.39 – A New Normal (4/4)
393 14 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

For some reason, I shook like I was seeing the devil herself reincarnated. Her hair flipped back and forth as she wore a red jacket and brown dress shirt. Her checkered pattern skirt danced in the wind but what took me off guard was the 5 -pointed star bracelet she had around her wrist. That reminded me who I was dealing with, the devil's minion, if not the devil herself.

“What are the chances that we’d meet here, Madoka-san?”

Takade-san abruptly pushed off me as she stood to attention. She was as straight as a board as her “one true love” approached. Even her doggy was sitting straight up, ready for any command the devil could give them.

“Saya-senpai! It isn’t what you think! I wasn’t cheating on you, I promise!”

“Oh, I know. Madoka-san was having troubles, and the ever sweet Saki-chan was there to console her.”

The demon teased, although she was spot on.

“Sorry… Takade-san.”

I awkwardly said. I couldn’t imagine the emotions that were going through her. I believed she must have been upset as I turned to her. However, steam was literally shooting from her ears, and her face looked as hot as an ironing board.

“How did you know, Saya-senpai?!”

The ignorant high schooler said as she jumped in place. Her big dog was even getting excited as he began strolling about wagging its tail. Its fluffy tail would slap Takade-san’s leg, and it made for an odd scene, if anything.

“It’s because I’m connected to you, Saki-chan. I know when you are doing your best to make sure other people feel cared for.”

The devil tilted her head.

I’m sure she just assumed that this is what Takade-san was doing. It didn’t take a genius to figure out that I was having problems regarding my family and that the best thing to do would have been to console me. It’s not like Saya-san wouldn’t know more about me because she is Saitou-san’s little sister.

All I could do was sigh. Explaining all that to Takade-san would destroy the magic this poor girl found herself in. My shoulders slumped a tad as I gave the evil high schooler a smile.

“As I explained to Takade-san, I just moved over here on this side of town yesterday, Saya-san. So, It turns out that we might be sharing a train ride together.”

In a very spacy way, Saya-san clapped her hands together. She looked like an elementary schooler as she stretched her arms out wide and hit them together like an alien.

“Oh, how fun!”

Her eyes weren't even looking at me, and it only added to her creepy behaviors. I found myself pulling a strain of my hair as I tried to make this situation feel less awkward.

“Ah, so were you two meeting up here?”

I asked the pair.

"Yep! This was the weekend date that we've planned for a month!"

Takade-san pulled on her dog's leash.

"I just have to take this little guy home, and Senpai and I can make out at every street corner!"

Saya-san giggled and gave her dog a pat on the head. The poor guy yearned for attention as he allowed her to even rub its belly.

"We are going to pick up supplies for our new year's project, Madoka-san. Would you like to come along?”

I waved my hands back and forth.

“Oh no, I wouldn’t want to impose on you two.”

Takade-san hopped.

“It’s okay! You can witness me finally getting to taste Senpai! It’ll be a lot of fun!”

I think at that moment, I realized that these two had their screws more than "A little loose." They might not even have screws, to begin with, and them being a couple… if they were a couple… it might have been best for the world.

I honestly didn't have anything else going on today, and I was still a bit wary about going back to Mary-san’s place, so I reluctantly agreed.

"Well, if you both insist. I just don't want to get between you two."

“Nah, it’s all good. One day Senpai and I will be open to public displays of affection anyway.”

Takade-san said as she looked at the sky, daydreaming about tomorrow.

Saya-san tilted her head and put on a finger to her lip. Those full pink lips of hers were always something I… found myself watching from time to time.

“Oh, but don’t we already share hugs and the like while we’re out. You know, like this?”

Saya-san walked over, took Takade-san in her arms, and gave her a big squeeze. Her chest pushed harshly against her, causing the unsuspecting victim to squeal in excitement…

However, from my point of view, Saya-san was tracing something along her back. Likely a strange spell she wanted to give a try to the unsuspecting Takade-san. It… made me back up a bit.

“Supo-depo-nagi nagi fu fu… Supo-depo-nagi nagi fu fu…”

Saya-san chanted under her breath.

"Huh? What was that, Senpai?"

"Nothing! Let's go drop off your big doggy and make our way to the arts and crafts store, you two."

That only confirmed it! Saya-san was putting shady spells on the poor Takade-san. I wanted to lash out and purify the poor love-struck girl, but when I saw the shine of happiness in her eyes…It would have been a horrible thing to tell her that she’d been cursed.

She skipped ahead of us as we began talking together outside of the park. I take it we were going to Takade-san’s house first as we followed her.

“Hey, Madoka-san…”

 

 

Saya-san whispered as she turned to me.

“Hm?”

"I have a question to ask…."

“Ah, sure…”

She put her hand behind her back and continued.

“My sister told me all about your feelings for Mari-san, your stepmother. Sorry if that was going overboard.”

She confessed. I figured that would be the case. They were too close not to express things like this to one another. All I could do was shrug.

“Yeah…”

She nodded.

"Well, my question was…."

She trailed off, looked at Takade-san that was still skipping for a moment, then back at me.

“Why do you think so lowly of yourself?”

 

 

I was taken aback by her question as it came off as more of an insult. But before I answered, I thought about it more.

“Lowly?”

She nodded.

“Madoka-san… since I've met you, something has been bothering me for a while now."

She put her finger on those full lips again. I… had a bad habit of looking at others' lips.

“You don’t realize how influential you are. I want you to listen to everything I'm about to say, alright?"

We stopped as she turned to me. Takade-san was in her own little world as she never turned around. As the devil looked me in the eye, I could tell she was dead serious.

“I don’t need tarot cards or spells to tell you this. Nakagawa Madoka, you are maturing day by day even if you don't believe it. You are beautiful but don't have the confidence in yourself to see that. You are kind-hearted, and that nature of yours causes people to want to help you as much as you do to them."

My eyes widened as she pointed at me. As if she was casting spells on me, I listened closely to her words.

"People love you for a reason… My sister is head over heels for you. What I'm saying is… your heart is broken today, and that's fine."

Suddenly, like the Senpai she is, she put her hand on my head and began rubbing it. It felt strange… getting a head pat.

"But I want you to know that when you are ready, don't be afraid to open your heart… and tell others how you feel about them. It might not be today or tomorrow or the next month or year… but everyone I ask about you says the same thing… and that you are someone with a big heart… and that they want to help you."

Her stoic face gained a smile.

“And I think when you realize that you are worth more than you believe… then you will see that you are special to a lot of people.”

“Why are you… saying all of this?”

I couldn’t believe that this was coming from Saya-san.

“It’s because I thought about all the good things Yuko-chan would say… and my sister, Watanabe-san, even Takade-san. And I’ve concluded that Madoka-san… might be holding back from realizing that she’s not in someone else’s shadow.”

Suddenly, she took my hand.

“And even if you had to leave the house for the time to realize this, I wanted to point this out right here and now. Nakagawa Madoka, you are your own person… and you’re a beautiful one at that. So, when all the pain settles down… I think you should start seeing that in yourself.”

She smiled, honestly.

“Then your adventures on where the heart won’t know which path to take will start to flood in.”

My heart began to throb. It seemed that Saya-san, with her keen observing skills, understood that something must have happened in my home life for me to have moved so suddenly. But not just that… all the moments she spent watching me and talking to her sister about me… may have cultivated in her wanting to tell me something that's been tugging at my heart for a while…

“I’m not my mother… and I need to stop comparing myself to her.”

I’ve always considered myself as a lesser version of the woman I’ve looked up to my entire life. It was one of the main reasons why I told myself that night between Mari-san and me… to make her happy. Because I was under the impression that eventually… Mari-san would notice that mom is that much better.

But that’s not true, and this is what Saya-san was saying.

I’m my own person… I’m not my mother. At this moment, the pain will be there, but it'll only help me to grow stronger. When all this confusion dies down and I'm able to think clearly… I think it would be best that I open my heart more and show everyone my true feelings.

“I… needed that, Saya-san.”

I confessed.

“Yes, you did. It's what my horoscope told me."

She smiled.

“And my sister would love for you to show her your cooking one day. She doesn't know yet… but you are extremely close to her house now."

With a giggle, she danced off to the front. I watched as she brushed her shoulder up against Takade-san, only to make her squeal like a middle schooler.

“She’s… really good.”

I complained playfully as I made my way up to both of them.

“Where do you live, Takade-san?”

I asked.

“Just a few more houses down from here. My Onii-san is home, and he's studying right now, so I won't be able to invite you in without him going crazy."

Saya-san giggled under her breath as we made our way to a good-sized home. There was a small fountain with a gnome standing next to it. The gnome had bright pink hair and was dressed in some trendy wear that didn’t look anything like the other gnomes scattered around the yard. Oddly, the gnome… reminded me of Takade-san.

“How… eccentric.”

I looked around and noticed that this road was on the same stretch as the train station. So, I would actually have to pass Takade-san’s place in order to get to school. That would mean I’m going to likely see more of Takade-san and Saya-san for as long as I live with Mary-san.

"Alright, boy, go inside!"

The pigtailed girl sicked her dog inside the house. She took a deep breath and called out…

“Here he comes!”

Suddenly the big Golden Retriever began to bark like mad. I could hear what sounded like her older brother screaming at the top of his lungs for the dog to shut up. Saya-san was doing her best not to laugh. I don’t think Takade-san knew what she actually did as she happily waved her dog goodbye.

“Saki! Saki, get over here right now!”

An older boy with lighter hair came to the door. He looked like a college student by his height and build. He was furious as he and Takade-san met face to face.

“Can’t you tell that I'm working?! I'm on a call with my classmates right now, and your stupid call made him act crazy! I'm embarrassed!"

“Shut up, Onii-chan! I didn’t do anything wrong! Stop bullying me!”

The sister complained.

"Stop playing the victim! You irritate me so…."

Suddenly, he turned and saw Saya-san and me standing there. The former couldn't contain her composure as she was holding on to the fence, wheezing from laughing. I just stood there… doing my best to appear like a proper young lady in a field of madness.

“Ah…”

His mouth jawed as he gazed at me. I turned to the side and broke our eye contact.

“Hey, don’t be looking at Nakagawa-san like that! She’s a lesbian like me!”

“Eh?! W-Whatever! Don’t do that again!”

Takade-san pushed her brother inside the house then slammed the door shut. Their relationship seemed rocky at best.

“The nerve of that guy. Sorry, Nakagawa-san. He looks at every hot girl like a slab of meat!”

Takade-san jumped over to us. Saya-san seemed to have gathered her composure as she walked up to us.

 

“Arts and crafts store?”

Saya-chan chimed in.

“Yep, let's go, girls!"

Takade-san said cheerfully as we began walking together.

 

 

 

16