Living For This
116 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Excuse me?” the security worker at Ambrose Enterprises main entrance called a young woman standing at the glass door of the building.

She turned around on her heels from looking out at the downpour. “Yes?” she asked confused since this was the first time that he spoke to her besides the other days when they greet good day and goodbye.

“Will you wait until the downpour is over?” he asked her while motioning to her clothes and the bump under her clothes.

She smiled with a nod, “Yes, I can’t afford to lose my baby. I’m wearing heels and a dress, I don’t even have a coat to cover the two of us,” she said as she patted her stomach.

“You can have a seat if you’d like. Most of the employees have left but I’ll be here until tomorrow morning, so we can keep each other company until the downpour is over,” he said with a smile then walked over back to his desk humming.

He sat down on the chair and picked up the communicator. Pressing a few numbers and putting it to his ear. The call connected to the one in the security room on the twentieth floor. “Yo Tristian my man, what’s up?”

Tristian spoke lowly into the phone while keeping his eyes on the young lady, “Brent?”

“Yes?” Brent answered with a frown and sat up in the chair that was inclined backwards.

“Remember the photo you showed me a few weeks ago, of that woman that you were looking for?” He asked while his eyes scanned around sneaking glances at her.

“Yes?” Brent asked with narrowed eyes and looked towards the screen which had the camera view of the front desk.

“Turn the camera angle of the front desk to move towards the glass doors and tell me if she is the one,” he said and waited as Brent’s breathing returned to the phone.

Brent immediately moved the camera with the controllers. He stopped the camera on the woman sitting in a teal dress with white flowers on it looking out of the window at the downpour. He zoomed in just in time to catch her as she turned to look down the halls then turn back to look outside.

Brent picked up the phone, “Still there?”

“Yes,” Tristian answered.

“Keep her there at any cost,” he demanded and slammed it down.

He got up startling the second CPO Marcus who got up but sat down when he saw there wasn’t an emergency. Brent darted off to the elevators then got in. His foot tapped crazily against the floor waiting for the bell to ring for the thirtieth floor.

The annoying music stopped and the door dinged open. He stalked out of the elevator, making his way past the secretary’s desk who had a beautiful woman sitting behind it filing her nails with a grin.

He turned the doorknob and pushed the door open leading to his boss’ office. Romano Ambrose’s eyes widened when he saw his CPO barge in. He was ready to berate him but before he could, Brent spoke, “I found her, we need to hurry!”

Romano stood up alert and stalked over following Brent to the elevators. They got into his private elevator; Romano’s heart was skipping beats in excitement.

“How did you find her?” Romano asked Brent.

Brent spoke, “Tristian at the front desk. He was sitting with me when I was searching through the files sent by the P.I… He saw a picture of her that I placed near me and asked about her, I told him and he was the one that spotted her a few minutes ago. He let me know that she was in the lobby.”

“Promote him,” was all Romano said.

Brent nodded as they waited for the elevator to hit the ground floor.

The rain was slowing down and Nikita got up. She walked towards the door but stopped when Tristian called out to her.

“Please don’t leave just yet,” he said as he looked back at the elevator that was nearing the ground floor.

“Why?” she asked while looking at the elevators, in the direction Tristian was looking.

“I asked security to bring you an umbrella and a coat to lend until tomorrow,” he lied.

Her mouth formed an ‘o’ so she nodded. She smiled at him then continued to look out at the street through the glass windows.

She went into her own world but was pulled out of it when a strong hand grabbed onto her right arm and turned her around. Her long hair whipped back hitting his face and the Caucasian man smiled from ear to ear.

“I finally found you,” he said making her eyes widen in horror.

“What the hell are you doing here?” she asked as she tried looking for a way to escape.

Romano pulled her closer to him in order to hug her but the bump between them caused her great discomfort making her face scrunch up. She placed her hand on her stomach and rubbed it; Romano looked down at her stomach. His eyes widened in surprise.

A loving gaze looked over her from his eyes, “You’re pregnant?”

She looked up at him and nodded slightly, “What do you want?”

“I’ve been searching for you for so long, how could you just leave me like that?” he asked with pain in his eyes and heart.

She looked up at him confused, “What more did you want from a one night stand?”

Romano’s eyes hardened while the other two bystanders looked on in shock at what they were witnessing. Nikita saw his eyes harden and felt that something was greatly wrong with this picture. She ripped her arm away from his grip and stepped back.

She gave him a good look and asked confused, “Why are you here?”

Romano didn’t answer her, remaining silent. She looked over at the two standing behind him and saw Tristian mouth ‘Romano Ambrose’ but couldn’t really make out what he said.

Her eyes drifted back to Romano who was staring at her with an ice-cold expression. When he saw that he had her attention he said, “I own this building.”

She took a step back dumbfounded. How in the world did she not know who he was? Oh right, he never mattered enough for her to care and it wasn’t like he was directly paying her, it was the finance department.

She moved all the way back near the outside perimeter of the door but the strike of lightning hitting the ground came out of nowhere. She caught such a fright that she almost dropped to the ground. She covered her ears and shut her eyes as her body started trembling.

Strong arms wrapped around her and pulled her towards the inside of the building. He rubbed his hand up and down her back soothing her. His warm embrace calmed her down slowly. Romano frowned while she trembled in his arms; her body was ice cold, no warmth near her.

He took off his blazer and wrapped her in it. He leaned down and kissed her forehead, “Come, let us speak in my office. Brent, order food in for us and bring Nikita camomile tea.”

He leads her to the elevator and hugged her while he rubbed his hand in circles under his blazer at the small of her back.

“I never told you my name,” she said.

His hand paused but started up again, “I know because I’ve been searching for you and you did mention it before you fell asleep in my arms four months ago.”

She kept silent since she couldn’t remember it. “Is the child in your stomach mine?” he asked and continued rubbing her back when he felt her tense.

She shook her head making him smile. A chuckle left him, “I know for a fact that I’m the one who took your virginity and I was going to tell you the next morning that I should have changed condoms between round two and three but I didn’t and it broke but you just left with no notice… so my dear Nikita, I’ll ask you again, is the child inside your womb mine?”

Her breathing hitched and she shook her head making him frown, “Why do you keep denying it?”

“Because you have no right to claim my child as yours,” she said making him hold her tighter.

“I’m thirty-two years old, I’ve always wanted a child and you are carrying my child, why are you saying your child isn’t half of me?” he asked her feeling his eyes sting.

“I don’t want to be tied to Romano Ambrose,” she answered dryly.

He pulled back to look at her and asked, “What? Why?”

“Because it’s my womb,” she answered and looked away.

He sighed and kissed her on the forehead, “Never in my wildest imagination did I think that the one I fell for on the dance floor would be right under my nose this entire time… do you have a picture of the baby for me to keep?”

She rolled her eyes and dug in her bag and pulled out a purse. She opened it and pulled out the sonogram image the doctor took of the white blob three weeks after they had their encounter.

Romano took the image from her and his stinging eyes stung worse. He looked at the blob with love and adoration in his eyes. Nikita looked at him stunned. She didn’t believe him before but now she did. Her steeled heart softened and wiped away the tear that slid down her cheek.

“I – I can’t believe I’m going to be a father,” Romano said and laughed happily. His heart felt warm and the excitement grew.

He looked down at Nikita, kissed her on the lips, thanking her many times as the tears fell down his cheeks and bent down. He placed many kisses on her stomach then stood up quickly. He picked her up and swung her around.

The elevator dinged to his floor and a squeal was heard. Romano and Nikita looked at the person who squeals and it was his secretary Suzanne. She stood there with her hands over her mouth with her bag on her arm.

Romano put Nikita down and cleared his throat. “See you tomorrow Suzanne,” he said as he grabbed Nikita’s hand and walked past his secretary.

“Good evening Mr Ambrose, have a good evening,” Suzanne greeted while watching them walk away from inside the elevator.

Nikita watched as she got pulled all the way to his office. The drag there made her feel slightly nauseous and light-headed. They stopped by his office door and after he opened the door she slowly walked in behind him.

The door closed behind her as her eyes darted around the room stopping on the floor to ceiling windows. She was mesmerized by the beautiful view of the city below mixed with the lightning and slightly dark sky.

She walked towards the window but was stopped when Romano grabbed her by the hand. She frowned at him then realized that she completely forgot that he was there. She blushed and turned her gaze away from him.

Shaking her hand loose, she folded her arms across her chest and stared into his beautiful blueish-green eyes. “Why am I here?” she asked him.

Romano stared at her wondering how, out of all the woman he slept with, the woman who he decided to grind on would be his baby’s mother.

He reached out to grab her hand in his. He rubbed his thumb over her lifeline. He stared at his thumb running across her wrist, “I – I … will you let me raise our child together?” he asked feeling his heart tighten.

Nikita looked him over. She noticed the pained expression on his face and asked, “Normally, billionaires would do anything to get rid of pregnancy since something like this would be scandalous, especially for you Mr Ambrose. You and I just had a onetime thing. I’m twenty-eight, yes, you took my virginity. Things escalated that night and I am grateful it did. I can’t handle the burden that is Romano Ambrose and I’d appreciate it if you keep me and the baby a secret.”

“Why are you keeping the baby?” he asked feeling conflicted.

She pursed her lips and shook her hand out of his. Placing her bag down, she looked at him and smiled, “Because I’ve wanted a baby since I was young. No man has ever been interested in me well, except for the few older men that perversely took interest in me. Even now, all the woman I went to school with, well the majority of them have kids and are married but look at me, I’m still just figuring out what I want to do and have only recently gotten on my feet. A baby is expensive but I’ll manage.”

Romano gave her a good look then pulled her in for a hug. Kissing her on the neck he said, “What about me? I’m a worth billions of dollars but I can never find someone for me. I’ve been on many dates but still nothing … Can we not start over?”

Nikita pulled back with a frown trying to stifle her laugh, “Mr Ambrose, I’m already pregnant.”

Romano caught the slight laugh at the corner of her mouth; smiling down at her he answered, “Yes and I’m not sorry. I will make it up to you but you need to keep me in your life in order for that to happen.”

3