25. Start of a New Life
45 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It turns out, my game system went along.

I could take in objects from real life inside my inventory, and take it out similarly. It's quite surreal, seeing the medieval wooden sword and bread in front of my eyes.

Meanwhile, I couldn't contact my parents and relatives. Forget about my boss. At this rate, I couldn't even go to work--even if I want to.

I felt something amiss on my wall clock. The needles were stuck unmoving; the same with my phone and computer.

I spent several hours enjoying my backlog of anime, manga, and games. Didn't think I would gain experience points just by enjoying life.

While I spent a lot of time until I got sleepy--the clock was stuck there. It's still early afternoon, with the sun up top.

When I first entered, the access limit on my capsule would be eight hours of real-life time. It's now gone, along with the time acceleration.

It's still the same evening in-game. The people outside made me sigh in relief.

It's so comfortable without the 'throttling' sensation in my brain.

Since I was hungry, I went downstairs for dinner. It was a hamburger, french fries, and a medium coke.

Despite it being fast food, there's no greasy sensation on my throat.

It's indeed delicious, but my hunger's still there.

As such, I ordered a take-out--something healthier like fried rice with ham, eggs, and salad.

The meals were finished instantly.

I went back to the Inn room and logged out, with the meals inside my inventory.

The clock actually moved, after spending time in-game.

Contained in a wooden lunch box, spoon, and fork—the piping hot rice and its meat were in full view.

With each spoonful, my sense of hunger began to dissipate. It's nice to not worry about food anymore.

I'd be a fool if I still wanted to go back.

In my usual life, I have to go to work almost every day. It's the same boring and dull routine I had enough of.

I didn't miss my parents, relatives, co-workers, and internet pals. I had nothing in common with them anymore.

In all honesty, I hate people, this world, and their rules.

Why must I compromise?

I believe in the absolute right—which is my honest feelings.

My way of life is to fulfill those desires. I prefer to not hurt anyone, but people already hurt me so much. On top of that, they always thought I was wrong.

...but it's fine. The moment I got such strength to easily turn my life around—I will forgive them.

At that point, it's not like they could do anything to me.

==

While it seems convenient that time froze in real-life, there's an issue.

Unless I spent enough time in-game, it would always be night—and it's dangerous to go out.I'd probably sleep at the Inn or try my hand in crafting.

On the day, I prefer to just spend my time in front of the computer.

It's a good thing that parties no longer had a limit. As such, I joined their party and set myself as the Leader. The position's just cosmetic, but it's quite helpful.

In-game, the Leader's name would be in highlight for the party members, so it's easier to spot. Since they're bots, I guess it's kinda useless. Anyway, I just put it, since I'm the only human.

I pondered for long, at the Inn's bed; it's much easier to fall asleep.

When it's already morning, I checked the progress of my alts. They really were able to grind all night.

...but the odd thing—my level and average stats were the highest.

While it could be EXP Leeching, I would still get a minimal amount.

It's better this way.

I don't like grinding that much, especially for rare drops.

If there's any player, I don't want to have them bugging me or dictate my next goals.

Ah right, there's the anti-harassment feature.

==

I spent the next few days fulfilling the commissions until I was able to afford the house.

My alts would explore field and dungeons, mainly to grind for commission items. I also instruct them to gear up with the gold they have at hand.

Better equipment would increase their farming efficiency.

Currently, they're in the next city. Since we're in the same party, I was able to fast-travel right away.

I'd have them join the adventurer's guild and do quests.

Of course, I didn't plan on fighting, so their party wouldn't include my name on the registration.

I want them to get stronger, with better gears. That way, I could gain access to more valuable materials for commission.

I also told them it's okay to rest when they feel like it. While they were bots, I don't want to treat my 'subordinates' even shittier than my company.

A portion of the region's now revealed on the map. I could even zoom in for a close-up.

While the view was great, it's not yet time to travel.

I did most of my activity in-game, so time would pass. My favorite stuff would also receive updates in real-time.

It's nice that the computer could run with only my mana.

I would only go back to real-life for bathroom breaks, eating, and drinking.

While there were NPCs, I didn't feel like interacting with them.

I much prefer the internet, to fulfill my little desire for human interaction. Although it's mostly just lurking around the forums and reading the chat logs in my favorite game.

That way, I didn't have to invest in the conversation and leave whenever I like.

==

It didn't take long before I became a C-rank merchant.

I was able to set up stores, in all cities with the Commerce Guild. It also came with buying properties via installment.

Since I had enough to buy the house, I paid upfront.

The receptionist gave me the house's deed, along with the key—inlaid with layers of security enchantment.

While it's too late, I also asked about the property prices in the next city.

The comparison made me swallow my saliva.

II felt there's more than meets the eye. It shouldn't be expensive, just because it's in the golden triangle.

While the location was good, I bought it since it's similar to my favorite house from Rimming the Sky.

It's just cozy, with firepits and delicious meals right after entering. If it's like the game, the meals would replenish by itself, if you take them.

Not to mention, it also had places to do alchemy, enchantment, and blacksmithing.

A separate room to store your valuables and display your favorite items.

While my inventory's infinite, It's nice to have someplace to showcase them.

Ah, right—now I understand why houses were so valuable.

In the [Help Menu], depending on the city's public order, there'd be times where criminals would break in—with the exception of your own house.

Inside your home, not even Gods or could barge in.

The feeling of absolute security, and the ability to decorate your home as you like—it's the best thing ever.

Each property in this game had its own specialty, to suit different kinds of players. I guess this home was top-notch in terms of coziness, with the unique trait of spawning delectable meals. Unlike real life, food in this game wouldn't rot.

I already checked out of the Inn, along with my own stuff. The Innkeeper missed my patronage--I'd probably drop by for meals when I feel like it. Although there's still a lot of cuisines I hadn't tried.

On the second floor, there was a large pace with two rooms. One leading to a bedroom, with a king-sized double-bed and oil lantern.

The sole illumination from lanterns might seem eerie for most, but it helped me relax.

It had medieval-styled books; a desk with a quill pen, ink, and stack of parchment papers.

I set up another desk and set up my computer. Placing a magic lamp on the ceiling—it's now bright as day.

The room had another door leading to the bath, it's kinda like ones at the Inn.

The other room beside the large space was a miniature greenhouse with several herbs, plants, and fruits.

I guess they'd replenish itself if I take them as well. From their description, both the food and plants were top-tier items with strong buff properties.

My final verdict: it's totally worth the money.

"Hngghh..."

I changed to my casual clothes, took a quick shower, and hopped on my bed. It's so damn comfortable; the fabric totally absorbed my whole weight.

Several things happened during this course of time. The reason I could buy this house was probably due to how NPC Behavior works.

Anything buyable by a player couldn't be taken by NPCs.

Any commission visible to the player, can't be sniped by NPC as well.

Most of them only serve to fill the world's background.

It's just like most of the MMOs out there—and it's not a bad thing.

The world had nothing much happening except during the events—if the devs decide to implement them.

The lore and the background information would be revealed through quests, conversations with NPCs, and books.

Some of them serve as foreshadowing for the next event, which might detail how to beat it and obtain the hidden pieces. Of course, their clues might be as ornate, vague, and convoluted as possible—it's a prophecy, after all.

...but it's none of my concern.

I'd just take a backseat and chill.

I think VR stories are a good fit for me.

I love to play games and fun, without having to think about any stakes.

I knew what I wanted to play, and things I hate.

Had fun writing this chapter as well. This story concept was pretty good, in my opinion, since I could just brainstorm my favorite ideas until I found things that work.

Since it works for me, I hope I can release chapters more often, and most importantly, ones I'd be satisfied with.

Have a nice day and stay safe, everyone.

1