Loss of life
103 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hello?"

It was the fourth day after the Jeju Island Raid.

"Are you going to attend the mass funeral for the lives lost during the raid?" Go Gun-Hee's baritone voice transmitted into his ear clearly as though he was right before Yuuki.

Yuuki was not aware of the deaths, other things had been on his mind recently, the Monarchs. Out of the 4801 Hunters that participated in the Fifth Raid, 96 died. 64 were awakeners which were people over C-Rank with 32 commoners dying, who were Hunters below C-Rank. Of course, it was a tragedy when 10 S-Rank Hunters had died in the raid. However, the raid was also the one with the least number of casualties and injuries when compared to the previous attempts.

"I will be there."

---

Wearing a suit that fit him well, Yuuki instantly became the center of attention the moment his face was seen. Sombreness filled the air slightly as he placed down a white lily alongside the other Hunters.

Whispers here and there entered his ears.

"He doesn't look like he could cause that much damage."

"Why did he not just deal with the entire Raid himself if he could?"

"If only he dealt with the Raid earlier then nobody would have died."

Cutting their voices off from entering his ears, he was able to calmly keep his cool. He was not paying attention to anything on the internet recently so even though he was unsure of what many said online, it was different on the streets, it was impossible to avoid seeing the public's opinion.

Comments from Japanese citizens were full of spite and hate for Yuuki's departure to Korea and every little detail was being picked at. How they found out about many things would be unclear to him if he tried to know.

Of course, some people supported him. The Majority were not that bad but slowly they were converted to see things from other perspectives. For the families of the deceased, they had to understand how it would feel if their family member died but they knew it could have been stopped.

Eventually, the majority became the minority, and hate was sprayed towards Yuuki like it was a bullet hell. It did not affect him as he was used to public opinions of controversial events after creating the 4 [ Samsara ] Runestones and using them.

It was sad to see grieving people everywhere, but death was everywhere. People died every day yet that did not change Yuuki's view of the world. Strangely enough, it was the families of the deceased who were kind to forgive him, obviously being a Hunter meant a constant possibility of never returning home, it just so happened that these Hunters were unlucky, the families had been in their world that their family member would never die, it was still a shock nonetheless.

Yuuki conversed with the families and tried to console them as much as possible. A lot of talking went on and when Yuuki finally finished speaking to the families it had become midday. Making eye contact with the others, he noticed Sung Jin-Woo not far away and walked over to him.

"Hey, could I ask you a question?"

Nodding as he looked towards Yuuki, Jin-Woo was curious about his inquiry.

"You are the Shadow Monarch, right?"

Hearing the two words Shadow Monarch caused Jin-Woo's eyes to momentarily open wide before he retained his calm facade.

"What's a Shadow Monarch?" It sounded like a genuine question but Yuuki knew what he was trying to do.

"Let's talk about that later. Anyway, how's your mother? I remember you telling me that she had the Eternal Slumber but recently that event happened where everyone that had it woke up."

Glad that the subject was changing, Jin-Woo replied with a hint of a smile on his face which he did not wear as he was at a funeral.

"She woke up out of no-where and like all of the other patients she had no health problems." 'It was so ironic, I was about to wake her up myself but then that happened. Makes me feel like all that work was for nothing.' In his head, he thought.

Coincidentally, as Jin-Woo looked around he saw Cha Hae In gazing towards Yuuki before she noticed Jin-Woo looking at her and she turned and blushed.

---

Yuuki was heading to leave after the funeral was over, but he heard someone call his name from behind him.

"Hello Hunter Yuuki Satoshi, I am Senior Agent Adam White from the USA's Bureau of Hunters. I hope you can understand that this was the only place I could meet you without intruding on your privacy."

Glancing towards the man who had brown hair, Yuuki spoke. "Why do you want to meet me?"

"I have information for you. Information that you will not hear anywhere else, no country nor institute has this information. Except for us." Speaking with the smile of a businessman, Adam looked content so far with his speech.

"What do you stand to gain by giving me this information? I'm leaving if you wouldn't mind..."

"Wait! I forgot to mention, have you heard of an awakened that can increase the ability of other awakeners?"

5