28-The Misery of an Arrogant Person
163 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Assailant Root!”

Eren put his hands on the ground. A large vine jutted out below the carriage; it grew several branches that were lashed to the iron bars and tore them apart.

The camels were freeing themselves. Following that, he heard someone’s voice in his head: “The task is complete. Do you want to advance to the last test floor?”

Eren ignored it and turned his back. He looked for the female knight and sighed in relief when he found her.

“Do you want to advance to the next floor?” Eren asked.

The knight woman shook her head. “I am Lord Johan’s guardian. My task is to protect him.”

“What if he’s dead?”

“Then my life doesn’t have a meaning anymore.”

Eren frowned. “Why do you say so? Why do you so obsessed to protect him? A bastard like him.”

The female knight stared at him indifferently. “Please refrain to insult him. He is weak, but he is carrying a big burden with him.”

From her tone, Eren was certain she didn’t harbor any romantic feelings toward him. He guessed it was respect and fanaticism. Man, the church is filled with bunches of lunatic. She is kinder than other members, though. Maybe I will gain information about the church’s purpose.

“I am sorry,” Eren apologized. “I judged him based on his actions. Why are your people insisted to hunt Elder Karnstein?”

“Our church has a motto, ‘Live to reach the truth or die to open the way’. A long time ago, Ms. Karnstein helped the Ashkera Family to slaughter our ancestors. They didn’t open the way for their descendants. That’s why she, the empire, and Ashkera Family are heretics.”

Eren recognized this story. There was a book about the war in her library. “The Ashen War. It happened several hundred years ago. The maiden of Ashkera drunk a true ancestor’s blood and awakened terrifying power. She saved the Ashkera Family from the lunatic Ashker.

“Ah, don’t misunderstand. It’s the book that said it, not me. By the way, the maiden of Ashkera is an old figure. I am sure Reymond has told me that Elder Karnstein is 18 years old.”

“You don’t know anything and judge our church based on your version of the textbook.”

“I mean your church is ruthless. Didn’t you slaughter the entire city on the way to our sect?”

The female knight put a guilty expression. “The executor is the sin of our church. It has nothing to do with our church. We sacrificed many innocent lives to open the way. Rest assured. We will pay for our sins. We are here to die to open the way.”

“To die? You, Johan, and the executor come here to die?” Eren was astonished when the latter nodded. “You are a bunch of lunatics. Why do you tell me all of this?”

“Leaving people in the blind isn’t our church’s style. It doesn’t matter if others notice our purpose. We will open the path to the magic core realm.”

 

……

 

Allen told Reymond how he became a necromancer. He didn’t hide the fact he came from another world. There was no need to keep it a secret. He hoped it would spread and big organizations would pull him because of his connection with the ancient beasts.

But I doubt Reymond is a person who likes to spread someone’s secret, Allen thought.

A vision of Eren talking with the woman knight entered his mind. Allen couldn’t hear it, but he could decipher what they were talking about.

Allen chuckled. “Reymond, I just found out the purpose of the church. They came here to die. The woman knight talked about something like opening the path to the magic core realm.”

Reymond startled. “That’s the realm after magic foundation. The way has been lost for a long time. Mircalla was invited to this sect because Peter knows the way to concoct a potion that will help magic foundation magus to breakthrough.

“What did she say? Did she mention the way?”

“No, but she gave a clue. The executioner of the church was sent to attack many organizations and then lost.”

Reymond frowned. “Why are they doing this? It’s like suicide.”

“I know something. It’s like a sacrificial ritual, an evil one.”

“That’s not the way of the church. The church is a good alignment organization.”

Allen grinned. “What’s good and bad? That’s just the terms they decide.”

Mircalla suddenly woke up and straightened her body. “Did I defeat the goblin king?”

“Good morning, my lady,” Allen greeted her.

“Allen? What are you doing here?”

“Everyone was sent to the same place.”

Mircalla sniffed his cloak. “Hey, you use my perfume again. Ah, not that, what’s your task?”

“We need to cooperate, Mircalla. My task is to kill the goblin shaman and retrieve a certain item from him.”

“Shaman?”

“He is a late-stage magic foundation realm magus. Can you deal with him?”

Mircalla sighed. “Even in my peak condition….”

Allen understood her concern. He pondered. The guardian intended to test me. If he eliminates me, he has to wait for the next candidate. There must be a clue.

“Reymond, Mircalla, there must be a clue somewhere to defeat the goblin shaman.”

 

……

 

Ren piled up the two goblins’ hands and stabbed it with his sword. Their complexions were weak. Their breaths were rough. He was afraid they would die.

The Shadow Domains could only contain the same numbers of foe and ally. If they die, two more goblins would enter.

“You don’t have to worry, Mr. Ren. They are creatures with high vitality,” Peter consoled him. He looked at the single-edged sword. “I still can’t believe your family possesses a strong magical treasure.”

“What about you, Mr. Peter. You have that shooting wand.”

“That’s because I can craft low-grade magical treasures.”

“By the way, what’s your supreme-grade spell? Is it okay for you to have a conversation with me?”

“It’s fine. I can divide my focus equally. My supreme-grade spell allows me to create a dimensional rift. We can hide inside it.”

“That’s a pretty high level for a mere acolyte.”

“Yes…this is a supreme-grade spell and needs a long time to cast it.”

Ren looked up and sighed. “I wonder if Vanilla is okay.” Suddenly, he felt a hand on his shoulder.

Peter tapped him. He put a panicked expression. “Ren, you say no living things can’t enter this shadow domain, right?”

Ren glanced at the goblins. They were still breathing. “Yeah, except these guys die.” He followed Peter’s finger. His eyes widened. “Impossible.”

The ghost woman entered his shadow domain, slowly floating to them. They stood up and put a fighting stance.

The ghost woman halted. Her fingers moved around as tough giving a sign.

“That’s a sign language. Hunters from Shadowperk City learn this,” Ren explained.

“Maybe she is Allen’s undead?” Peter asked.

The ghost woman nodded and approached them. She gave a signal with her fingers. “She said a reinforcement will come.”

Ren could hear marching steps. A sandstorm was coming. But, when he took a closer look, it was an undead army that came.

The black goblins hissed and charged at them. One of them pounced and took several skeleton minions instantly.

Ren was worried that they couldn’t beat them, even if they outnumbered the goblins.

The ghost woman flew out of the shadow domain and passed through several goblins. Their movements became slow. The minions ganged up against them. Their strategy was the same. First, one of them sledded and kicked the goblin’s legs until he fell. Then, the others stomped him. Several minions used their martial magic too.

“That’s a good strategy. The skeletal minions are smarter than our sect’s zombie,” Peter admired.

Ren pulled out the sword and turned off the shadow domain. He stabbed the goblin’s head, while Peter shot the other in the head.

“Sadly, our task isn’t to obliterate them,” Peter said.

Ren looked at the ghost’s hand signs. He gritted his teeth. “Allen asks us to inspect the surroundings.”

Peter tilted his head. “I don’t mind, but why you seem annoyed?”

“There’s a goblin village and my fiancée, Vanilla, is held hostage by them. I am sorry, Mr. Peter. Can you do it without me?”

“Where are you going, Mr. Ren? Don’t do anything dangerous.”

Ren shook his head. “You are right. I am sorry.” He looked at the ghost woman, giving her hand signals: Please explain to me the situation, Mr. Allen.

 

…….

 

After explaining the situation to Ren through the ghost woman, Allen looked at Mircalla and Reymond.

“Mircalla, I want you to inspect past the goblin village. I want you to follow the river as far as you can. You can bring my ghost servant.”

“Why?” Mircalla asked.

“Eren had inspected the area on the south cliff. There’s a barrier that confines us here. I guess there will be the same barrier if you follow the river.”

“Alright, but how’s that will help us to find the clue to defeating the goblin shaman?”

“First, I want to confirm the size of the canyon. There’s no hidden place here. There are several caves, but they are not deep to store a clue. If you look at the wooden boat, there might be a forest near the village. After you confirm if there’s a barrier at the end of the river, I want you to inspect it. Actually, let me inspect it with Reymond.”

“Why do you change your mind, Len?” Reymond asked.

“I just remembered the magical beast’s corpse. If we follow the west river, we might encounter beasts’ lair. Now, that we are clear, let’s not delay the time.”

“Wait, Allen, Reymond!” Mircalla called as they were about to go.

“What’s the matter, Cally? Do you need our blood again?”

“No, if Allen’s deduction is true, I can just hunt for magical beast’s blood. Extends your hands.” Reymond and Allen did as she ordered. Mircalla chanted a spell, “Moonphase-Seven Form: Last Quarter!”

A barrier shrouded their bodies. After a second, it vanished. “If you encounter any danger, just chant the spell. It will protect you.”

Allen nodded. “Thank you, my lady. Let’s go, Reymond.”

 

……

 

Johan lied on his back. His eyes were blank. He glanced at Vanilla who sat far from him.

The black goblins had gone after the entertainment time was done. That woman didn’t give him a spare of glances and left him.

Johan clutched at the necklace that hung around his neck. Father, father.

Suddenly, an elderly voice entered his head. “My son, Johan. Have you succeeded in leading the executioner to their glorious death?”

“I ensure they will meet their death in Coffin Sect’s hand.”

The elderly voice resounded, “I see. Many believers signed as an executioner today. They wanted to experience glorious death. I will lead them to slaughter innocent people and other sects.”

“That’s good. At the time, they will have enough courage to challenge our church.”

“What’s the matter, Johan? Your voice sounds empty,” the elderly voice asked.

“A believer of Ashkera raped me, even though I treated her kindly. If only we can harm fellow light practitioners first. I truly hate Ashkera.”

“Don’t succumb to hatred, my son. Our belief forbids us to harm fellow light practitioners first. That’s why we averted our wrath to the vampire and the empire. We will make them see us as a threat just like a long time ago. We will make them attack first.”

“It still can’t relieve my anger, father. What must I do? I feel weak. I haven’t carved my name yet. I feel like my death won’t leave any significant meaning to history. That’s why I want to look for a Light Archive Jellyfish in this Nether Necropolis, so I can beseech our Lord for the way to magic core realm.”

Johan told his father about his experience of him in this place. How he encountered the guardian of this necropolis and how strong he was. How the guardian mentioned to him there was a Light Archive Jellyfish in this place.

The elderly voice was silent for a while before replying, “Poor, Johan. We indeed learn the unknown. But, we act following certainty. That’s our church’s way. I have warned you to not lament on your choice. Shame. Shame.”

“What should I do, Father? I am a failure.”

“Yes, you are. But, it doesn’t mean your descendant can’t. You know the spell, Johan. Makes it fertile. Makes her pregnant with your child. I will guide your child on the right path. When your child becomes great, I will ensure your name is known. That way you will leave a big mark in history. I pray for you, my son. May the Lord enlightens you. Amen.”

Johan stood up and approached Vanilla. “Amen.” Then, he chanted a spell.

4