Chapter 3: Priestess
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Proving Grounds: Forgotten City, Outskirts

1820Y 09M10D 0830H

He woke with a faint memory or dream of his childhood, could not tell which. Saw himself laying on the grass, under a shaded tree, everything was hurting but it was not that bad. He has new clothes, cleaned up, and fully bandage.

Then he heard a clatter not so far from him. He immediately sprung up, grab some rock, and poise himself for a fight. Causing his wounds to open up. Ahead was a girl in priestess robes with a lot of cooking wares scattered about her.

"Hey ya awake, how are ya feelin'?" As she ran towards him teary-eyed.

"I am feeling better, thank you." Relieve he sat down and relax, immediately the girl came to his aide checking his wounds, telling him off. "Don't push ya'self, ya still very wounded."

Mat took a good look at her then realize. "You're the girl at the cave."

"Well yeah! Who ya expectin'?" Looks at him kind of annoyed.

"No, sorry — I was just surprised. That's all."

She giggled. "Guess, ya didn't expect me to get outta there. Did ya?" She replace the bandages anew. Mat raised his arms and tried not to get in the way. "Oh no, I just did not expect you to come back."

"Ah wouldn't!? Ya save ma life back there, ti's the least ah could do." She suddenly jerk at the bandages as she made her point clear to him.

'Ow,' He twitch a bit. "Thanks, Guess we're even now." He looks at her then ask. "Uhm... what's your name, again?"

Surprised she stopped tending to his wounds then looked him straight in the eyes then chuckled as she said. "I reckon we haven't told our names yet. but ya know, ya kinda feel — like fam'ly."

She sat properly in front of him. "Am Mhirfa by the way. Nice to meet ya. Mister Hero."

Mat stared at her, she had long black hair, dark eyes, freckled face, ample chest, plump, fair skinned and — a bit short. He himself is not that tall either, but his mind started to wonder why there is so much diversity among them, they were bioengineered after all.

She waves her hand in front of him but gave no reaction. "Hey, ya alright?" Starting to get worried.

He snapped out of it "Matrean, Mat — I mean, my name is Mat."

She wipe the worried look on her face then smiled. "Mat, ah see,"

Abashed, he tried to change the subject; gestured towards a tank of some sort. "Is that yours!?"

"Oh, thats Lando ma wagon." She happily exclaimed.

Wagon!? He could not believe what she envisions the thing. "So, that... I mean your wagon, is what kept us safe last night?" He got up close checking the scratch marks on it.

He looks back at her, as she was not answering. Mhirfa was all red, flustered, and kinda lost in words. "What happened!?" He asked immediately.

"Nothin', nothin' happened. Yah hear." She immediately turned her back and started picking up the cooking wares that she dropped earlier.

"Let me help you with that." He came close and started helping out.

She pushed him away. "Now, ya go and get some rest, I'll cook us somethin' to ate."

. . .

It was a semi burnt fish of sorts, on a stick, some bread, soup, and grape juice. Mat tried to act normal about it, he should, that is normal but he can not help but stare at it. "Thank you, this looks —"

"Am sorry, ah kinda forgot..." Interrupted him before he could finish.

"No, it is okay really, see." He started eating. It was bitter but he was really hungry. So, this actually tasted really good to him right now.

"Really!?" She suprisingly asks. He nodded and continued eating. She smiled contented and started eating too. She felt the bitterness at first bite but hid her reaction, then look at him. 'He is really enjoying it.' She thought to herself.

"Mat, w'at ya plans now?" She asked.

"I need to get to town; sell the gemstone I found in the caver — ns..." He looked around like he lost something. "...get some equipment."

"Oh, Ah have ya gem on ma wagon, as well as that — eh, bone token somethin'." She pauses and gave a thought at the last part but dismissed it.

"My debt to you is starting to pile up." As he went to the wagon and get his stuff. "How could I repay you?"

She hesitated then gave it some thought. "Ya serious with that?"

He could feel the sincerity of her question. "Yeah, I am. Ask away, I'll do what I can."

"Kay, can..." Fidgeting. "Can... can... can Ah come with ya?" She looked straight at him, earnest yet imploring. "Ya see...,"

"Of course." He flicks his wrist and sent her a link request. "This will help us keep in touch."

She gave him a big smile, then accepted it right away.

. . .

The Proving Grounds: Forgotten City, Downtown

1820Y 09M11D 0900H

The two reach town, found a tavern to rest at.

"System... Character... Inventory." A console appeared as he selected the gemstone; detail about it showed.

*Bloodstone: Rare stone variant, found deep inside the earth; used as a catalyst.*

"Here," He gave the gem to Mhirfa, she places it at the table just in front of her.

"I'll find us a buyer for it." She opened up a screen on her end and started to do her work.

"Thanks" his inventory is nearly empty there are the bone dagger and two stones that he is really familiar with.

*Philosopher's Stone: Man's greatest discovery, can store, generate and manipulate energy; has a huge capacity but slow regeneration; use as a primary power source for weapon, armor, etc. Two at most can be wielded safely by any human; Soul Bound Item.*

"There ya go, found us a good one. Offer is 4295c," Still typing on her virtual keyboard. "Ya, kay with that?"

He nodded."That should be enough." As he browses through the list of armaments. The gemstone vaporizes as she finalized the trade. 'Received 4295c,' appeared on his HUD. He called out the waiter and ordered something for them to eat, 50c auto deducted from his credits.

A beep startled Mhirfa. "Mail?" She opened it up and a list of equipment came up on the screen.

"Can you get those for me?" As he transferred his remaining balance to her.

Bewildered by the sudden event. She looked at him to say her thoughts about it, but he threw her a smile. She just sighed then gave up on the thought; started working on her list.

"Kay now, a Standard Reinforced Steel Shield, 500c; a Socketed Great Hammer, 800c; Reinforced Demi Plate Armor Set, 1500c; and Wolf Skin Mantle for 200c" As she punches in the order. " Ya still have 1245c, anythin' else ya want?"

"Let us see, add Torches, Leather Belt Bag, First Aid Kit, and some provisions."

"Ah got em, ya still have 1095c." looked at him waiting for a reply.

"That's all, thank you."

"Everythin' should be registered in ya inventory by now. Ah have em materialize in ma wagon for convenience " she closes her console then took a big gulp of water. "What now?" She sks him.

"We will finish up eating then well go to a weaponsmith and surgeon for modifications..." He was still talking when a mail came saying. >Let's eat - Mhirfa.

He looked at her, she was just staring at him, smiling and gesturing at the food.

He closed his console then smiled.

. . .

The Proving Grounds: Forgotten City, Outskirts

1820Y 09M12D 0500H

As soon as the two have finished all the needed preparations. They set off for the mountains. Outside town everything they own they have to physically carry. It was a good thing they have a wagon for it. Although, they do not have much.

He found it peculiar, how the 'wagon' works. It looks exactly like a small tank but has no seat on it, just a hatch compartment for their stuff. She keeps it on a leash and the wagon follows her around like some kind of pet...

Mhirfa said they could ride on the hood if they are in a hurry but...

'There is no need, the weather is good for a short stroll.'

1