The Summer Prom
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Summer Ball was taking place in some kind of fancy manor house about ten miles from town, with a needlessly fancy meal and a tacky disco and Claudia couldn't stop herself from feeling excited. She and Sophie were dressed to the nines in the outfits they'd bought last weekend, and getting ready with Frank and Sam and a few handful of drinks each had really built up her confidence in her choice. Frank was always a flatterer but there was something about the things he said when he was two vodka cokes deep that just felt so much more genuine, and by the time they were packing into her mum's car to head off she felt like she could take on a grizzly bear and win with this dress still intact.

She'd sent Lloyd a quick message that they were on their way before leaving, much to Sophie's eternal teasing-- telling her had been a great relief and huge regret, depending on the situation. And since Sam had managed to guess who her crush was, and Frank automatically knew everything Sam knew by osmosis, it was the topic of dicsussion for half the drive, with Claudia doing her best to change the subject as she was constantly side-eyed by her mother. They weren't asking anything overtly obvious, but when they kept asking if she hoped to score with a cetain 'someone' there was only so much she could do to deflect.

Their behaviour didn't get any better when they arrived. At spotting Lloyd waiting outside with a few others from his year there was an immediate chorus of scandalised 'ooh!'s from the back like they'd picked up a colony of owls on the way, and with a roll of her eyes Claudia thanked her mother and hopped out before any more questions could be asked. Walking around the car she greeted him with a grin when he spotted her and headed over, but they were quickly distracted when Sam and Frank fell out of the back of the car behind her like they'd been pressed up against the window when they'd opened the door.

A little more gracefully Sophie got out the other side, but she wasn't above sniggering like they were at Claudia's quick exit to the point that Lloyd innocently asked what was going on, which didn't help at all. Feeling her face going pink, embarrassment over the subject despite the fact he had no idea what they'd been talking about, Claudia quickly covered her cheeks. "Nothing! Absolutely nothing!" she replied a little too loudly, giggling herself thanks to three glasses of wine, and when Frank clamped an arm around her shoulder and grinned deviously as Lloyd she thrust her purse into his hands. "I'll get the first round! Get me whatever! Just go!"

He didn't need to be told twice and dragged Sam and Sophie off before any more comments could be made, and Claudia relaxed for all of three seconds before her mum called her name. Thinking nothing of it she turned and smile sweetly, but felt the looming dread as her mother looked at Lloyd with an inquisitive eyebrow raised. He smiled back innocently, and Claudia became the centre of attention again as her mum spoke up. "Responsible 'hook ups' only, please," she said, her words hitting like a punch to the gut, and Claudia yelped her good bye and eagerly waved her off as Lloyd hurriedly stifled a laugh.

It took a good minute to calm herself down after that, not helped by Lloyd still sniggering at her side, but once she'd collected herself enough she turned to look at him properly for the first time since arriving. He was wearing his usual red hoodie, which she tugged at with a smirk. "What happened to 'formal'?" she asked, tittering as he batted her hand away.

"It's underneath!" he replied with a pout, before looking down at her feet when he seemed to realise he was looking up at her now. "How big are your fucking shoes? You going to be alright in them?"

"Either they'll come off in the next half hour or the booze will hit and I'll forget I have feet until tomorrow," she laughed, before he linked his arm with hers and led her over the main entrance.
It was a very fancy house, so it was understandable that a lot of people were hanging out in the garden out the back.

It wasn't too cold yet and there was still sunlight for another hour at least, and Lloyd took them to a table already occupied by Daisy and Simon off to one side near the fancy fountain, and they greeted Claudia brightly as they raised their half-full glasses. A third glass, presumably Lloyd's, sat in a similar state alongside them, and when the others came to join them from inside they gladly raised them in a toast, before sitting packed together around the table.

As Sophie chatted with Frank and a few others from their Health and Social class Claudia talked with Lloyd, Simon and Daisy, discussing plans for the cinema tomorrow if their hangovers weren't too bad, though Lloyd groaned softly as he rested his head against his arms. "No, no bus ride. I walked five minutes last time I got wasted and threw up in the hedge on my way home."

"You baby," Claudia teased with a smirk as she went to take another sip of her drink, though when she realised how little she had left she quickly finished it off instead with a satisfied sigh. It felt like she'd barely had that one in her hand and it was already gone, and suddenly thirty quid didn't feel like very much in her purse.

But then Lloyd grabbed both their glasses before she could think, lifting himself up to sit on the wall that surrounded them and swinging his legs over to get out without disturbing the others, though the fact he nearly fell right on top of Sophie when he overbalanced kind of negated that. "Right, I'll show you a baby, baby," he crowed, but leant back to look at Claudia before hopping down the other side. "D'you want another?" he asked, almost falling over in the process.

Sniggering at the lopsided smile he gave her she nodded, before helping him sit back up, and watching him bounce back inside. Daisy was already getting up to go after him to get another drink for herself and to make sure he made it to the bar in one piece, leaving Claudia to sit with a smug-looking Simon. A little confused she smiled back all the same, resting her arms against the table top. "What?"

"'Baby'? Really?" he smirked, and Claudia felt her face go red as he chuckled softly. "How has he not asked you out yet?"

"I-I dunno! He's...!" she stuttered in response, though she had to admit she thought the same for a second there. He leant in so close she felt his breath against her cheek, the smile on his lips so warm, and his eyes... Knowing where this was going again she sighed softly, smiling again. "He's an adorable dumbass."

There was another titter from Simon, before he scootched up a little closer and gestured for her to do the same away from the rambunctious crowd of five sitting on her other side. "He really likes you. You know that, right?" he told her in a low voice, sending a flutter through her stomach that thankfully didn't mix badly with the alcohol. "He won't fucking shut up about you."

She burst into incredulous sniggers that she quickly tried to stifle with her hands, glancing at Sophie and Frank and Sam before looking over towards the doors inside too, making sure that Lloyd wasn't already on his way back and risking any overheard conversation. A part of her kind of already knew, but she was still surprised at how bluntly Simon had stated it. It seems he wasn't done yet though either. "Seriously though, you like him too, right? Why haven't you asked him out, since he's taking forever about it."

"Look, it's not that simple--" she tried to argue, keeping her voice low and still trying to fight off drunken sniggers.

But Simon scoffed as he sat back against the seat instead. "Yes it is! You like him, he likes you! Just tell him!"

She shook her head vehemently, before holding it dismally in her hands. "No, it's...! Nngh, I'm weird--"

"You keep saying that like it's the end of the world!" Simon cut across, and she was drunk enough to laugh about it instead of shying away. "So you don't like the physical stuff-- who cares! He sure as fuck doesn't."

"What-- he told you?" she exclaimed, before quickly shushing herself when Sam gave her a curious look from beyond Frank and Sophie, and grinning innocently at him to asuage any concerns.

Simon was in fresh peels of laughter now and she wasn't sure why, until she realised he was shaking his head. "No-- well, not at first. Daisy was talking about it first, or she was curious about it, and then Lloyd mentioned it and it all clicked together," he explained, and she groaned softly again as she ran her hands across her face.

"Oh my fuck, this is so embarrassing...!"

"Why? He seems to understand and he still likes you, so it's not that big of a deal, right?"

Casting another look over her shoulder she hummed thoughtfully. "Yeah, maybe..."

It didn't take long for Lloyd and Daisy to return, arm in arm and walking giddily as they carried four drinks between them. Daisy was sensible and walked back around the tables to sit back next to Simon again, placing a water in front of him and a kiss on his cheek. Lloyd was brave and climbed over the way he'd gone before, nearly falling over Frank again as he wobbled on the plush cushions before putting down the drinks and dropping back next to Claudia. She was in peels of laughter again as she brought an arm around his back to steady him, and he quickly pulled them into a full hug.

"You doing okay?" she asked him, and had an eager squeeze in response.

"You're the best," he purred, cheek to cheek, and she sniggered again before realising that Simon and Daisy were watching them now, smiling deviously.

There was shyness bubbling at the back of her mind but she'd had just enough alcohol for it not to matter, and the hug was too nice to stop. Still, it didn't stop Lloyd from noticing and awkwardly clearing his throat as he let her go, but when they carried on sniggering he leant against the table with his arms folded. "Right, what's up with you two?"

"With us?" Simon repeated with amused indignity, while Daisy started laughing again. "What about you two? Acting like newlyweds over here."

Claudia couldn't help but burst into more sniggers, patting a hand against Lloyd's chest. "Oh shit! Congrats, now you're my wife!" she announced, and Lloyd gave her a surprised look before doubling over with laughter himself.

"Does that mean you're my husband?" he asked incredulously, only for her to shake her head with a serene smile.

"No, no. We're both the wife. This is a lesbian wedding."

As if summoned by forces beyond his control Frank whipped his head around. "Did someone say lesbians?" he eventually asked, mangling the pronunciation at least three times before finally managing it.

That had them laughing for a while too, before Claudia brought an arm around Lloyd's shoulders with a proud smile. "Meet my wife."

"You're--" Bursting into a fit of giggles himself Frank couldn't finish his sentence, before bringing an arm around the both of them with a sultry smile. "How about two wives?"

"Um, excuse you: this is a monogamous wedding," Claudia pointed out firmly, pulling a giggling Lloyd out of Frank's embrace and earning an afronted look in return.

"Are you seriously excluding your only openly gay friend from your gay wedding?"

"Actually this is a lesbian wedding," Claudia was quick to correct him, hardly capable of stiffling the sniggers herself.

"Lloyd identifies far too much as straight to be a lesbian," was Frank's rebuttal, making Claudia sigh dramatically before relinquishing with a nod.

"That's a fair point. Guess he'll have to be husband for now."

Smiling giddily, Lloyd sniggered. "I'm honoured to have the title, wife."

Between staggering around the venue arm in arm and drinking a lot more drinks than she was sure she could afford, Claudia didn't remember much of the evening between shouting 'husband!' at Lloyd and responding to calls of 'wife!', though they had a lot of fun doing it. What would normally make her curl inwards in embarrassment just brought her so much joy now that she was drunk, and she had no worries about grabbing Lloyd's hand whenever she could, and he often took the chance to do it right back.

After heading inside for shots at Sophie's request they were soon back out in the garden, sitting on the grass this time at the edge of the pond to clear their heads a little. Shots were devestating, though at least Sophie made them drink water near-constantly through the night anyway, and now they were all a giggling mess in the grass.

After mumbling 'c'mere wifey' Lloyd soon had Claudia pulled against him, arms around her shoulders and keeping her warm in the surprising chill of the early evening, though it brought immediate attention on to them just like 'lesbians' had earlier. Sitting up from where he'd been lying with his head on Sam's belly Frank grinned wickedly. "You're not much of a husband, Lloyd. I haven't seen you lay one kiss on your lovely wife!"

Biting back sniggers when Lloyd nearly choked on his drink Claudia sat up to let him clear his throat, shrugging innocently when he cast a glance her way. "Husband, how dare you!" she teased, which seemed to be all the encouragement he needed.

Planting his drink firmly in the ground so it wouldn't fall over he bristled with confidence, extending his arm to invite Claudia closer. "Well, if my wife so desires!"

It wasn't quite how she'd planned on getting her first kiss from Lloyd, but then again this whole evening had been pretty bizare in that regard. His hands were warm on her cheeks as he drew her forward, and what she'd worried would be an invasive spectacle ended up being a cozy exchange, though the gentle suck he did to her lower lip sent a buzz across her back that she didn't experience often. Normally that was a feeling reserved to good music coming on by chance, or surprise hugs from behind: she'd never really expected kisses from anyone, so this was a pleasant revelation. Even with raucus whooping from those sitting around them.

And when he sat up again he flashed her a breathless smile. "And that's a conversation we can save for when we're sober!"

Agreeing with a snigger she gladly leant back against him, pulling his arms back around herself in the process. The thought that maybe this was just a one-time thing, one night only, wouldn't cross her mind in the next morning, especially considering the number of constant little pecks and kisses she had the rest of the night. It felt like they were already together whenever he came up to hug her, pressing a kiss to her cheek or the side of her head, and the smitten look she'd get back whenever she smiled at him made her melt all throughout.

When it was time to head back on the busses, they kept a firm hold on each other's hands. Maybe in the back of her mind she did know it was going to be over tomorrow, and maybe he was thinking the same, but either way they ended up lingering back by the main door, ignoring all the calls from the others to get on the same bus before all the seats were taken. A gentle tug on his hand had Lloyd hugged up close to her, smiling as he pecked her cheek again and nuzzled up with a mumble of 'you're the best', but when her fingers brushed against his cheek he fell quiet. It was so nice before, and things were so unsure about tomorrow, that Claudia wanted one more...

Gently biting her lip she tittered softly at the look it brought to his face, brushing through the hair on the nape of his neck, and feeling the gentle shiver that ran through him. Alcohol really helped her nerves, but knowing it was okay, that he was okay with it, gave her more courage than she'd ever felt before to pull him closer and kiss him again. If she was thinking a little more clearly she might've realised that maybe, just maybe, he really did like her back too, but in her drunk mind this would all be over by tomorrow. This was her last chance, and she didn't want to miss the opertunity to get one more kiss from him.

His arms were so warm wrapped around her she just sank into the embrace, sighing softly. Would she really be able to accept going back to friend after this? She knew she didn't experience things the same as others, but she knew this felt good too-- not necessarily the physical aspect, though that was fun, but the intimacy made her fingers and toes tingle. The slight clutch of his hands to her clothes, the way he pulled her tight against himself, and the little suck he did to her lip again; all little things she used to dislike the thought of, but now she hated to think that she wouldn't get to feel it again.

Someone cleared their throat nearby and they pulled apart with a quiet gasp, and Mr Bard their English Literature teacher stared at them both when he caught sight of their faces. Lloyd managed to mumble a confused greeting, before bursting into sniggers when Claudia did the same, causing Mr Bard to roll his eyes. "Get on the bus. I'm sure you can do plenty of that on the way home," he told them, shaking his head at their giggles as he headed back into the building to look for any other stragglers.

They looked at each other again, still sniggering like idiots, before Lloyd cupped her face and gave her another kiss, flustered and eager. "Fuck, Claude...!" he mumbled against her lips, only to hear Sam yelling their names from one of the busses again and grabbing her hand to pull her along.

"Do you know how hard it's been to keep seats for you while you were busy necking in the corner?" he bellowed as he turned back onto the bus, and Claudia hid her face with giggly embarrassment only for Lloyd to nuzzle up to her and pepper kisses against her cheek and neck all over again.

"No one cares, don't worry," he gentle assured her, with one more kiss to her ear before pulling her up onto the bus. And true to word, everyone on the bus was still yelling over each other and laughing and not paying the least amount of attention to them, which was a relief.

That changed when they got to the seats Sam had saved for them, where Sophie, Frank, Simon and Daisy all started whooping. "You dirty stopouts! Enjoying your honeymoon?" cackled Frank, giving Lloyd a suggestive nudge as he stepped out of the way to let Claudia sit down first.

He shot Frank a glare as he sat alongside her, taking hold of her hand again the moment he could. "You're just bitching 'cause you're jealous," was his smart response, and Frank immediately hooked an arm around Sam's shoulders.

"Sorry Lloyd, I've moved on! I'm sure Claudie will satisfy your needs from now on though," he shot back, and while Claudia once again hid her face with giggling embarrassment with Lloyd cuddling up to her Daisy leant over the back of the seat to interject.

"Hey, it's their wedding not their honeymoon! Have you no respect?" she scolded Frank, before patting both Claudia and Lloyd on the head. "Beautiful day guys! Ten out of ten, would attend again."

"There better be chauffers next time though," Sophie piped up from the other side of Sam, squished up to the window so they'd all fit on the one seat. "Or taxis, at least."

"Yeah, then you two can snog in peace," said Simon, and Lloyd flipped him off between the seats.

"We better get gifts next time, you assholes."

The last of the stragglers filled up any empty seats, and Mr Bard called for them all to sit down before the bus set off back to town. The jokes started dying down as they all started entering the hazy sleepiness of drinking, and Claudia was getting a littly dozy too as she leant against Lloyd. Despite the haze of the day, all the booze and the occasional cigarette, she could catch the faint, sweet smell of whatever body spray or cologne he'd used for tonight. It filled her hazy thoughts as she recalled the night with fondness, particularly when he held her that little bit more securely on the main drive home.

Just like the many before there was a little kiss to her temple and she hummed softly in response. "You doing alright?" he asked her softly, and when she nodded she smiled as he gave her another kiss to the side of her head. It was a small gesture, but it meant so much.

0