Chapter 25 – The other two
633 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alice and I kept the mage at bay, our attacks stopping it from interfering with Agni’s fight against the leader when it called out for help. In return it started to intensify its effort, the stone spear coming more and more frequently.

But opposed to the things we saw in Agni’s magic, like control or a follow up, it lacked finesse. It spears packed power, one wrong move easily ending in a serious injury but were also quiet easily deflected, with Alice soon being able to divert all of them.

Free from any attacks I pelted the goblin with my arrows, it trying to block them with an earthen wall that rose from the ground before hardening. Don’t you think that will stop me. I pulled at the string, aiming at the position I saw the goblin before the wall rose. When I prepared my skill, I felt mana get sucked out of my body, flowing into the creaking bow and arrow.

“[Power Shot].”

I released the string, the arrow shooting forwards in an afterglow of energy. It crashed into the wall, splitter shooting outwards as I burrowed its way through it, before rushing at the goblin, cutting off its ear.

Damn, why did you have to move to the side?

As it was hit the goblin shrieked backwards, loosing control over his magic as the spears flew past us and its defense crumbled down. Given the chance Alice rushed forward, rushing past a spear as she readied her sword, piercing towards the goblin. It hastily erected another wall, the sword crashing into it before it hardened and Alice breaking right through with it.

But it allowed the mage to take a step back, the earth twisting around it before it shot towards Alice, trying to encase her in it. I fastened another arrow on my string, letting my mana flow inside it, before releasing it. “[Guiding Wind].”

The arrow flew past Alice, slipping through holes in the earthen grasp before it spun around, changing its direction slightly and pierced into the mage. I fell backwards, blood running from its wound, but it rolled towards the side as Alice’s sword came crashing down on it, barely evading the death blow as it pierced through the robe, nailing it down. She spun the sword, pulling the sword through the earth as the blade neared the goblin, before a sudden blast of wind pushed us aside, heat raging around us as a fiery explosion was released.

Our attention was attracted as the explosion engulfed anything besides us, the ground near us burning. When the sword of the goblin lord crashed down near us, we were brought out of our stupor. When we looked at the epicenter we saw Agni, standing in front of the lord, its upper body completely burned away leaving nothing but two roasted legs connected by a hip.

Then, all of a sudden Agni fell down, collapsing where he stood. We rushed towards him, getting a better view over his body. His skin was red, either bloodied through injury or burnt through the fire. His stomach was bleeding heavily, a cut running through it, nearly separating him. But opposed to his state he was smiling, silently whispering to himself.

“Don’t think that five level ups will do the trick. Put all points into endurance.”

Noticing we were there he turned his head towards us.

“Sorry, I’ll be sleeping for a bit. Don’t forget to take that sword with us.”

Then he closed his eyes as he fell unconscious.

“We need to get him out of here.” Alice hands shot forwards, trying to grab him.

I stopped her. “Can we even move him in this state?”

“Still better than staying here and waiting for more of them to come.”

I bit my lip, tasting blood in frustration. She’s right. Damn! “Okay, take him, but be careful!”

She put her arm und his chest, lifting his body over her shoulder.

“Wait a moment.” I turned around towards the camp, running towards it. On my way I saw the remains of Alice’s sword, bent from the explosion, a piece of cloth hanging down from it. I completely forgot about the mage. But it seemed to have run away, like any other goblin after witnessing the explosion. Works out better for me.

I stepped into the encampment, searching for the nearest intact tent and pulled out the stakes before folding it together and carrying it back to the other two. As I went through the gate I heard an outburst from Alice.

“Ouch, fucking hot.” I her saw her releasing her grip around the sword, kicking the side of the blade while shaking her hand wildly, trying to cool it.

“What are you doing?”

“He said we should take it with us!” She stopped for a moment before continuing. “And its damn cool.”

Haaaa.” I grabbed our backpack, pulling out a worn shirt, torn from previous battle, and laid it over the hilt. Then I grabbed the hilt through it, trying to lift it, but was barely able to lift it at all.

“Let me.” Alice crouched down, careful not to drop Agni, and grabbed the hilt of the sword. She stood back up, raising the sword as easy as the one she had before.

I looked at Alice skeptically. “And you’re wondering why you’re a barbarian?”

“It’s just the increase in strength through the level!”

“Yeah, keep telling that to yourself.”

 


 

Somewhere in the African Sahara

Wind blew, shifting through the sand and bringing movement into the seemingly lifeless desert. Ravens flew above a man, screaming out in warning, before flying down towards him.

“So, they’re already here again.” He shifted his shoulder, slinging his spear down and grabbing it with his hand. He stepped over another dune, a walking mass of stone, formed like a humanoid, coming in his way. The ravens landed on his shoulder, releasing another scream.

Kaaaa.

“Thanks for the warning.” He lifted his free hand, caressing the crow, eliciting another scream. “No, you can’t eat that afterwards. We’ll find a giant scorpion soon enough, you can eat that.”

The ravens flew up again, leaving the man to face the monster alone. Now, what was that thing called again? Analyze.

Golem – Level 36

As mana spreads throughout the environment without being absorbed by creatures it starts to integrate into inanimate objects and creates golems.

 

Skills: ‘Inanimate Body’

Weakness: Core

“Where is your core?” He stood motionless, closing his eyes, the golem coming nearer and nearer. The two ravens dived down, circling around the golem before stopping behind him, staring at the back of its neck.

He opened his eyes again, stepping to the side as stone crashed into his earlier position. “There it is.” He jumped above the stone arm, walking up along it as the golem lifted its arm once more. As the other arm came he jumped up, leaping over the head as the golem smashed through the air beneath him. He turned his body, looking downwards before he struck out with his spear.

“[Critical Strike.]”

The spear pierced into the neck, cutting into the stone until a bright glow shined outwards. He pulled back his spear, landing in the sand once more. He turned around, looking at the ravens once more.

“Where did you say you saw this shining thing?”

Another scream resounded as the ravens flew into the distance once more, the man following them as the shape of stone crumbled down behind him.

18