Chapter 41 – Dark thoughts
568 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Only seconds after we ran, I could hear the soldiers shouting out from behind.

“Don’t let them get away, capture them!”

At least it’s not ‘kill them’. “Do you see why I told you the military is no good?”

Alice grimaced as she answered. “I still had hopes that they would take care about the monsters.”

“They probably are, just on the outside of the dungeon. They have no idea what’s waiting for them inside, how their toys are useless in front of a little power.”

“And that’s how a company of soldiers died leaving only two behind.” Sarah said, a sullen look on her face.

“And even more will die. Death will be the only constant in the coming years.” I created Fireballs as I ran after the two, unleashing them sideways and behind me. “The only question will be if it will be humans or monsters.”

 

Quickly we gained distance from the soldiers. They were unable to keep up with us as our attributes were already far above them. The Fireballs I set loose also set the foliage aflame, soon turning into a forest fire that spread between us and the portal. Only a fool would come after us now.

Even though we already lost them we still continued running further inwards, the low-level monsters around were no longer worth our attention. But eventually we were forced to come to a stop as fatigue caught up. Clearly even raised stamina couldn’t keep up with having to fight for hours, only to run through a swamp afterwards to get to the portal and running away from it when we were chased down.

In a clearing we sat down. I sprawled myself over the ground, Sarah lying down next to me. Alice on the other hand stabbed her sword into the ground, leaning her back against it.

“What’s wrong? Already out of breath?” She snickered down at us.

I shared a look with Sarah, us two coming into silent agreement to ignore her attempt to taunt us. She’s only fine because she’s a warrior. I looked up towards the dark clouds, the unchanging darkness kept away all notes of time making us rest whenever we were out of stamina between hunts. Soon exhaustion washed away, sleepiness coming instead.

“I’ll take the first watch, you get some rest.” She smiled down at us, before pointing her view in the distance.

“Thanks.” Even if she likes to joke around, she always takes care of the people beside her.

Before I even noticed it Sarah already fell asleep next to us, the events of the day far too much for the little girl. I laid my head down against the ground, the few pieces of leather we used till now left behind somewhere when we marched towards the enemy horde. It’s been a long time since I started to sleep on the cold hard floor, but it still didn’t make it easier. Eventually, lured by the soft breathing noises coming from beside me, I finally managed to fall asleep.

 

The wind picked up once more as Sarah shook me awake. Alice sat on the ground, sleeping while leaning against the sword, a position she got used to in order to react to any danger.

“Already my turn?”

“Yes.”

I stood up, turning to the forest. “Okay, you get back to sleep.”  But instead of hearing her laying down she came nearer. “Something wrong?” I turned around to see her stare at me.

“Well, about this title” she started to speak, only to stop, unsure how to continue. A flutter of emotions passed her face. Curiosity, fear, hope, unwillingness. Eventually she pressed her lips together, before she continued. “No, it’s nothing.” Then she turned around to sit next to Alice, leaning herself against her.

“Let’s talk about it tomorrow. It’s a longer talk.” I couldn’t keep them in the dark much longer.

“Okay.”  She closed her eyes, quickly falling asleep like before.

I sat down on a nearby fallen tree, looking at a message I disregarded till now.

Gods are powerful beings. Standing alone they lead the way for their believers.

You have taken the first step for your religion by choosing your apostles.

 

You will receive 1% of every experience points your believers get!

I looked at the dreadful message, sighing as I read I over and over again. It told me why they changed. It let them guess what is really going on. But I just couldn’t help but fear the moment we talk about it. Just how much would they believe? Would they treat me the same way as before? What if they would be scared after hearing all? Or if they lost hope, hearing that none remained at the end.

“Maybe it would be better to remain silent over some things?” I whispered out into the night. But as much as I thought about it, I couldn’t find an answer. There was only one thing I was sure of. I couldn’t bring myself to lie to them.

Slowly the night passed, leaving me alone to my brooding thoughts and the winds, bringing the scent of fresh blood with them. Most monsters stopped trying to attack us, noticing the difference in strength between us, instead searching for some other prey, some successful given the particular smell.

 

Eventually I heard rustling behind me. I turned around to see Alice awake, trying to lift Sarah who fell sideways on her lap without waking her up. Noticing my attention, she pleaded at me with her eyes to help her get her off as every movement made Sarah shift in her sleep.

I chuckled at the sight, whispering silently. “Stay strong.” After which I turned around once more.

“No way, you traitor.” Alice called out from behind, keeping her voice down to let Sarah sleep. After twisting and turning herself for a few more times, accompanied with inaudible mumbling, the last member of our group turned awake.

“Good morning, sleepyhead.” Alice smiled down at her, seeing how she rubbed her eyes to become awake.

“Good morning.” She yawned, her eyelids already falling down once more.

“Still need to sleep a little more?” She ruffled through the girl’s hair. Sarah struggled to get away, but Alice just continued with it, grinning as she talked. “Payback for using me as a pillow.”

“Agni, help me!” She sent me a fleeting look, which soon was disturbed when Alice grabbed hold of her.

“Don’t expect any help, he didn’t help me either when you slept upon me!”

When they settled down, they were disheveled, having to take a moment to tidy themselves once more. In the meantime, I looked through the back James gave us, finding a few canned rations. Taking out two cans of soup I looked for a pot, only find nothing. Guess they didn’t have one.

Slowly I raised the heat in my arms, feeling the cans warm up. When I thought it was enough, I placed them down before me, taking an opener to open them. Then the smell wavered out, quickly turning the two’s attention towards me.

“It’s warm, eat up.”

The lack of proper human food made them quickly reach out, not even bothering to keep up appearance as they drank out of the can before I even had the chance to give them a spoon. I instead just grabbed a bit of jerky, biting down on it to keep the other rations for them. Let’s get some more after we are out of here. It’s been years for me without it, but they will probably still crave such food for the next decade.

We spent the meal in silence, the two savoring the food they haven’t had for a while, I taking the chance to order my thoughts once more. But when we finished, I struggled to say something. I had convinced myself to talk about it, but that didn’t make it easier. The same questions I asked myself tonight started to appear in my mind once more. Silently I let my head hang down as I looked at the ground.

“You know,” Alice started to speak, only for Sarah to continue, “you don’t have to tell us if you don’t want to.”

Hahaha. Do I look that pathetic? “No, it’s something that I should tell you. I just fear the consequences.” I still didn’t look at them, but before I could continue, I felt them grabbing my hands. Looking up I came face to face with them.

“Are you really that stupid? Nothing will change between us!”

“We would never betray you, I promise! You wouldn’t betray us either.”

I let my head down once more. What did I even think about? A chuckle escaped my lips as I lifted my head, showing them a smile. “Listen to my story, …”

18