Chapter 48 – The grey emperor
442 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Spear after spear shot forward. I tried to conserve my mana but for what? Sarah nearly died because of it. The goblin tried to block the first one but after noticing how each and every spear penetrated through its armor and body it started to change its approach, instead resorting to dodging. Not that it would help it as its body gave me more than enough place to target.

Haaaa,” I exhaled sharply, staggering in exhaustion as the massive loss of mana made me lightheaded along the heat coursing through my body. I need to release the spell soon, my body’s burning down.

Noticing my weakening state, the mountain lord shot forward, ignoring the spears burrowing into its body as it swung its claws once more, thinking that I would escape nowhere.

Guuuaaaaa! [I’ve got you, murderer!]”

Hearing his words, I muttered quietly. “You call me a murderer? What about all the humans you all killed?” I rushed forward, tilting my body slightly to dodge the claw coming down at me. The earth split besides me, shockwaves resounding through it. Still, doing my best to keep my balance I hurried forward.

The goblin lifted its claw, slashing the other sideways above the ground. I may have been unable to dodge that assassin, but don’t think you’re the same! I jumped forward, passing through the gap between the blades and rolling forward to get on my feet once more.

Giaaa! [Stay still!]” It stepped backwards, lifting its claws to smash downwards once more. But before it had the chance I closed the remaining distance, my muscles screaming in pain as my fist crashed forward.

“[Release].” In the blink of an eye my body cooled down as every bit of heat transferred to my fist, the Raging Heat spell I used to counter the hydra finally getting an outlet for its power.

Flames shot forward, taking with it every bit of energy it gathered in the few minutes of the fight. The goblin started to scream, but the sound was drowned out by the crackling flames. Fire filled my vision, the shaking beneath me, turning ablaze or even melting downright.

Then, a moment later, silence returned, the flames in the air distinguishing and letting me see the goblin once more. It laid on the floor, breathing weakly, his body burned and bleeding out of various wounds.

Though it still had will to fight left, already lifting its arm to push itself from the ground, the blood magic already starting to close the most serious ones. Walking forward, I created another circle. Another spear flickered into existence above me, aiming down at the head of the goblin.

“Stay down.” The spear shot forward to claim the goblins life.

Gi. [Enough.]” A silent voice reverberated over the battlefield.

I jumped backwards, just in time as a blade of wind cut through my spell, digging into the ground I just stood at. I directed my view towards the direction it came from, my eyes coming to rest at a balcony far up the castle.

Above the balustrade stood a goblin, his skin a light shade of grey with piercing green eyes. Contrary to the other goblins is wasn’t clad with a loincloth, instead wearing a pair of trousers paired with a lengthy mantle, flowing in the wind.

Seeing him the other goblins went on their knees, their heads dropping down to the ground. While they didn’t interfere in the fight with the lords, as getting near would only end in their death, they were now quiet, shaking in fear. Fear, and expectations.

As silently as its attack the goblin disappeared like it was blown away with the wind before a sudden gust blew between me and the mountain lord. But opposed to normal winds these only carved a small line in the ashes, stopping at one point to spin around, forming a sphere from the ash it took with it, before everything blew away, revealing the goblin once more.

A single breath. That was all it took for the goblin to reach us. I readied myself for an attack, but the goblin instead glanced at me, before turning towards his subordinate. Step by step it slowly walked towards the lord, which hastily tried to fix its position.

The lord finally stopped on one knee, bowing his upper body forward to show his respect. Though it still towered far above the grey one. Its voice was soft, almost pleading.

Gi, gigi. [Your majesty, I can still fight.]

Giigi. Gia. [Thy wounds art too severe. Thee already hath lost.]”

Giiaa! Gi, ga! [I can still fight! Command me and I’ll defeat him, even if it costs my life!]

“Giia. [This is not thy time.]” He turned around, facing me once more. “Gii. Goora. [We shall taketh care of this foul beast. Goora.]

Another goblin stepped forward, out of the sea of kneeling ones. This one was seemingly old and weak, but the strength of his mana showed something entirely different.

Gi. [Yes, your majesty?]”

“Gii. [Take him away.]”

It bowed once, before the earth around the mountain lord, captured it and dragged it towards the castle.

“Giiiaa! [Brother!]”

The emperor took a last look towards his brother, whispering silently as it turned back towards me. “Giigii. [Thou art our future. Live on.]”

He stepped nearer and nearer, finally stopping when he reached the line where his wind cut through the ashes. “Gii, gigi, gi. [So, thou art the one of these so hath called human. They toldeth me stories of fleshy deform'd bits, not fire.]

He held out his hand, wind gathering to form a thin sword. “Gii, ga? [Alloweth me asketh thee human, f'r what reason doth thee square?]”

I gathered my mana once more, preparing for another spell. “I’ve people I need to protect. A world that’s waiting to be saved.”

Gihi,” it chuckled, raising its free hand over his eyes as it leant back, before bursting into laughter completely. “Gihihi, giigi! [Gyahaha, we see, thou art just like us, burden'd with the duty to leadeth!]

It dropped its hand, fixing its stance as it pointed the wind blade towards me.

Gi… gigi. Gii [T's a shame to square such a gentle soul… May we asketh thee, lest i loseth, spare these po'r ones. In exchange, lest thee loseth, we shall not touch thy comrades.]

I was perplexed at the words of the emperor. “Aren’t you here to kill us all?”

The emperor made a grim face, sadness in his call. “Giii… [So, t's only the first time f'r this plane…]” Smiling bitterly he continued. “Gigii. [We art just part of a bigger scheme, of a realm gods art unable to reacheth]. He tremored, twisting his face in pain. “Giii… [Seemeth like they doth not wanteth us to speaketh about this.]

His trembling stopped, letting him take his stance once more. “Gii. Gigi. [We assure thee, guardian of humans, to not touch thy comrades.  We desire thee doth the same f'r ours.]” He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath.

“Gii! [Prepare yourself!]”

 

Thought the idea of the emperor speaking in archaic english could be pretty cool, giving him a grand appearal, but now that I read it there are some pretty hard sentences, if one doesn't know anything about it. Therefore, should I rewrite it in modern, or at least write the modern behind it?

About the emperors language
  • Modern English Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Leave it like it is Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Modern English after the archaic one Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Others (example in the comment section) Votes: 1 3.7%
Total voters: 27
13