Chapter 51 – A daughter’s gift
442 5 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lightning struck down once more, another head separating from the main body. Out from the burst neck another two heads grow, pointing their golden scales towards the dark clouds. But before they even had the chance to dash forward, they were also destroyed, their flames scattering through another bolt.

Then came the sound of thunder, echoing far into the distance, reverberating in the body of the hydra. I felt the fire around me, my eyes long since closed before they go blind, my body suspended inside the hydra as I targeted the mass of mana above me. Once more I let it form head. Once more I attacked the goblin floating in the sky. Once more thunder crashed downwards, crushing any chance I had at resisting.

I tried to defeat it, to safe those I care about. But I couldn’t. I ran out of mana, leaving behind a massive body of fire, failing to create even one more head.

“Do you now see the foolishness of your struggle?” The voice resounded, putting pressure onto my body.

I didn’t have the strength left to answer. If it weren’t for the spell suspending me, I would just fall down towards the ground. I couldn’t even dispel it to quicken my death.

“Foolish one, how could a mere mortal ever go against a god.”

Below us shouts resounded, the flickering of my flames distorting them, making them incomprehensible. Though that didn’t matter to the goblin above me.

“Seems like every one of these worms is as stupid.” Lightning struck, thunder drowning out everything else, before the world returned to utter silence. “Though I can see why they brought me down here. You have gained strength at a rate comparable to the higher beings. And if there is even only another one like you this world must be culled before they grow.”

“As such,” mana gathered around him for the first time since this fight started, “die.”

I’m sorry for failing you all. Only sadness remained. But even that would soon be gone.

No more pain. No more struggle.

Even the sphere of mana above wasn’t visible anymore.

Just the nothingness of death, a shining white light.

Embracing me in soothing warmth.

“I finally reached you.” A kind, strangely familiar voice resounded.

I never knew that death was such a gentle girl.

“But look at what they’ve done to you.” Her voice was laden with sadness, seemingly crying out her tears.

Don’t be so sad. I always knew that this day would come. I wanted to console her. Her worry crushed my heart, but even in death I couldn’t muster the strength to speak. I’m sorry.

Warmth run over my cheek, like fingers lovingly caressing me, gently brushing over me. “For what should you be sorry? There are only things we should to thank you for.

You gave mother hope for a better life.

You gave uncle the strength to go on till the bitter end.

You gave your everything for those you loved.”

Finally, I recognized the voice. The one daughter I had. The one I thought I had lost. Hello Amy.

“Yes father.” Delight filled her voice as I called her name.

Delight that I just couldn’t bring myself to accept. Once more I met her, joy filling my heart, before it broke in thousand pieces once more. Again, I would leave her behind, all alone. Sorry for leaving you back then.

“Don’t be,” the warmth left my cheek, tracing down to reach around me, embracing me completely, “you just couldn’t let it end like that. You would have spent eternity with a broken heart.” Finally, she rested atop of my chest, warmth filling my entire body.

Was it really my own choice to start anew? I didn’t know. But there was one thing that’s clear. Even if I tried to do it all over. I failed in the end. Worse even, I brought destruction with me.

“This is not the end.” Her voice was filled with confidence.

No. You’re still there. But my body is broken, my spirit shattered. There’s nothing more I can do.

“Father,” her soft voice spoke weakly, “you once gave life to me.” Then it changed, turning resolute. “Let me give it back to you.”

What!? No! Leave this old man dying and live on! But opposed to my fought I couldn’t do anything as I felt fire pressing into my body, burning my broken bones, my destroyed flesh. But instead of pain it brought relief.

Strength filled my body once more as I forced my eyes open. “Amy!”

“I’m glad you’re okay.” She lifted her head from my chest, her fingers tracing around me as she released me from her embrace. Glistening tears ran from her face, like crystals in a field of snow. Her eyes soft and mellow, sparkling in a light shade of blue, accompanied by long eyelashes. A cute, little noise led down to small reddish lips. Her hair flowed outwards, seemingly stretching towards the end of the world as it lit up into the flames that surrounded. “I’m so glad.”

I pulled her into an embrace once more, never wanting to let this little wonder go once more. Feeling her besides me I was reminded of her. “You look just like your mother.”

“Really!?” She freed herself from me, smiling as she spun around, giving me the brightest sight I’ve ever seen before. “I’m so happy!”

I reached out once more, still not feeling reassured that this wasn’t a dream as long as I didn’t feel her. But then I noticed my arm, still charred black from the hellfire. I tried to pull it backwards, unwilling to stain her radiance with it, but before I had the chance she grasped it, pulling me towards her as she made me cup her face with it.

“I’m so glad to be with you once more.”

I am glad, too. I wanted to say it… But then I noticed her fire weakening.

“I only wish it could have been longer.”

“Wait…”

Her fire faded, quickly losing its form. “Though I won’t leave you again.”

“Amy!” I tried to pull her closer, but my fingers just pushed through her fire.

“I’ll always be with you.” She still held onto my hand, leaning her head against it. “Goodnight, father.”

With her words she faded away, only her flame remaining as it crawled over my arm, taking her place by my side.

When the flames surrounding us faded my world turned into one of thunder, raining down from above. But I didn’t care about that. I could only stare at my arm in bitterness, letting out a cry of woe as flames shot out, covering the world in a white golden fire.

15