Chapter 53 – Separate fates
434 6 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Sorry for the delay, chapter didn't get uploaded as planned...

The stakes shot forward. The dragon released a beam once more, but its lack of another form of attack brought its end, the stakes only glowing brighter as they pierced through the beam, impaling the heads of the dragon.

The only head left was the one where the goblin stood at, its arrogance replaced with a look of shock after it deflected the last stake. Its eyes shot around, looking at the heads that now limply hung down, a clean hole burned into their skull, the stakes slowly falling apart while the fire drifted upwards like fireflies.

“What have you done! You bastard, it took decades to groom it till this point?”

So, it was like a summon and not just a spell. I smirked at it. “I am sooo sorry.”

At my words the goblins face contorted, grimacing in absolute rage. His lightning paused for a short moment, before it erupted in another wave. Gathering mana in my hand I released it in form of a fiery claw, swinging it at the incoming wave, breaking my way through it, only to come face to face with the goblin afterwards.

I directed the claw towards it but it smashed out with its arm, a slash of lightning cutting through it making it fall apart, the flames floating towards the sky. The goblin, though, was gone after its attack. I couldn’t even look out for it as I felt a hand closing around my neck from behind, electricity flowing into my body and paralyzing me.

“You fucking worm, don’t think I will give you an easy death after all this. You will witness your entire civilization being wiped out. I’ll rip that fucking whore out of your arm and make her into my plaything before feeding her to my dragon. And after all that is done, I’ll slowly rip you apart, bit by bit.”

I tried to speak but couldn’t force enough air through my throat to make any coherent sounds.

“Sorry, am I grabbing you to tight fucker?” His hand loosened slightly, though the lightning still coursed through my body so I couldn’t even try to force my way out from its grip. “Let’s hear what you want to say.”

I forced my lungs to breathe, barely able to whisper as I answered. “I told you not to speak about Amy like that.”

In return I felt its finger stabbing into my chest, the goblin grinning in delight when it saw my pain. “And what will you do if I don’t stop?”

Even through the pain a smirk came across my face. “Nothing. Everything was ready when you fell into rage.”

“Hah?” It fell in stupor. But before it could realize the meaning of my words the world alighted, flames came down from the sky to surround us in a stream of fire, gathered from all my previous spells. It screamed in agony, the skin melting from the heat even when it surrounded itself in lightning, though its eyes were fixed on me.

Then another current of electricity passed through me, the goblin probably thinking that this spell would stop with my death. Or at least that it would take me with it. While far weaker than its normal attacks, as it focused most of its powers into its defense, it was still enough to fry my nerves. But before it could kill me the fire already burned away its arm.

Falling towards the ground I closed my eyes, my conscious fading away through the pain that still mangled my body.

 


 

Seeing the battle before me I thought of running away, as any century of leveling still wouldn’t allow me to interfere. At least I should get Sarah to safety. But it hadn’t even really begun, instead it was only the energy given of from the two.

And when it began, I readied myself for the end, as everything around us fell apart, disintegrated by lightning, molten by fire. That’s when I realized how naïve I was. How could I even think that I could get away?

I could only look in despair, waiting for a stray attack to finally hit, watching the cacophony of blue and white-golden light. Eventually the later flew upwards, the lightning attacks following it. But there wasn’t any relief felt, only fear that a stray strike would come downwards once more.

Following the appearance of that dragon the lightning strikes became far more intense, the fire instead seemingly losing its ground. But instead of dissipating the fire gathered far above the two. When the dragon collapsed the lightning shot forwards, striking at Agni directly, the blade traveling downwards to shake the earth once more.

Then it went silent. I lost all hope when I saw the lightning suppress the fire, no attack trying to force it back once more. All until the mass of fire above them quaked, falling towards them and enclosing the two.

Eventually, after what seemed like an eternity, the fire faded, leaving behind two specks in the sky, quickly falling downwards, followed by an announcement of the system.

The dungeon boss has been slain before the descent completed.

All remaining monster from the 97th dungeon will be brought back before the collapse resumes.

Players are advised to stay away.

Joy lit up inside me, only to quickly fall towards despair once more as a black vortex appeared above the falling two. I felt the wind even from here, rushing towards the vortex as it was sucked into it, taking with it everything around it, including the two falling bodies.

In a moment everything was gone. The destroyed top of the skyscraper, as bits and pieces broke off. The greenery of the park that should have been behind it. Even the castle from the dungeon. Everything, leaving behind a gaping crater where Central Park was once. The clouds dissipated, leaving behind a clear blue sky. Silence enveloped the city, only disturbed by the wind.

 

After three days Sarah woke up once more. But I still didn’t find an answer to the question I anticipated from her. “Good morning, sleepyhead.” Gently I brushed a strand of hair out from her face, my voice cracking, filled with joy that she’s alive but also fear at how to answer her. Though her words cracked my heart in two.

“He’s gone, isn’t he?”

She didn’t ask about herself. If she would be able to even stand once more. Or how long she had been unconscious. Instead asking about him. No words of uncertainty, already feeling that he wasn’t with us anymore.

I could barely nod, biting my lips in frustration. But she just lifted her hand, her fingers sparkling in the light coming through the window. Her eyes focused on the flames glistening on her tips.

“But his flames are still here. Wherever he is, he’s alive.”

 

End of arc 1 - Return of the fire

 

Hey guys, I hope you liked the story so far! Tried my best with my little writing skill.

We have reached the end of the first arc. I would like to hear about your honest opinions, giving me poinjts to reflect on or simply to be proud of. Maybe I could even hope to read a review!

Next chapter will be an intermission and I'm going to take a break on friday. Next week will be the start of arc 2!

17