Act 2 – Chapter 20 – Against her wishes
268 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, this is the famed high-elemental. And here I was thinking you might be some shapeshifting actor given your appearance.” Both of her hands flowed down her dress to pick at its hem as she made a curtsy. “It is a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Devil.”

“It is my pleasure, Miss Songscale.” I gave her a small bow.

Seeing her up close I noticed small speckles of white in her azure scales, like snow falling in a cold spring day, with grey eyes like two lone clouds inside the sky. Her slender tail, which swung let and right out of curiosity, may have destroyed her calm aura, but it just contributed further to the gentleness she radiated, making her a clear opposite to Safrone.

“As I have told you before, Miss Songscale, I wanted to arrange for someone to keep you safe inside the arena. I have tasked this man with keeping you safe.” He raised his hand towards me, but instead of following his gesture with her view she just looked at Safrone troubled.

“Mr. Meccart, I believe I have already told you, that there is no need for an escort. My time has come and opposed to my fallen brethren who cling to their life, disregarding any kind of pride our mighty race once had, I will face my end with my head held high.”

“Excuse me, but there is no way I could just let you face this fate alone. Even if you must go, I want you to stay safe at least, until you can find your way back here. And if it is your path to walk into a new world, I am at least relieved that you will bring a piece of culture to it.”

“Mr. Meccart…” She wanted to bring herself to retort, but she didn’t utter another word. No, she couldn’t.

“He has already agreed to my terms. While it may go against your beliefs, I wish that you accept my efforts and hope that you will not take my actions to heart.” His words may have sounded apologetic, even filled with heartfelt affection, the atmosphere turned colder and colder, allowing her no further words against it.

“I understand.” She smiled at him, a smile seemingly devoid of any resent, only filled with gratitude. “I should thank you for your care, Mr. Meccart.” Turning towards me I received the same shallow smile. “I will be in your hands, Mr. Devil.”

Quickly she turned towards Safrone once more. “If you would excuse me. I am quite exhausted from the performance and tomorrow the first stage will finally begin. I hope to get every little bit of rest I could possibly get till then.”

“Of course, thank you for accepting my invitation in this demanding time. Given that I will have to manage the arena tomorrow I will, unfortunately, not be able to send you off.” He placed a hand above his chest and closed his eyes. “May the earth’s blessing be with you. Let its heat guide your way.”

Returning his gesture, she placed her hand above her chest. “As it guides your way.”

With this they said goodbye. Walking towards the door Safrone opened it, standing beside it as he held it open for her to step through. Walking past him she gave him a nod, before she stepped outside, her eyes taking a last glance towards me. When she was outside he closed the door once more, leaving me alone inside with him.

“I will trust you to keep your end of the agreement.” His voice returned back to its neutral state, tough it changed nothing at the coldness still permeating this room.

“I will do my best, Mr. Meccart.”

“Surely you will.” He walked towards the door once more. “I have prepared a room for you to stay in. I believe you have the need for one tonight, given your earlier escapades. I only hope it only happened this one time as I can not promise to stay courteous if something happens towards the Miss.”

Saying these words, he opened the door once more, “I wish you a good night, Mr. Devil,” and disappeared through it.

When he left I felt a pressure lifting off me as if a predator decided to spare its prey for one more time. Through the short time we spent together I noticed it without even having to fight him. He was far stronger than the worm I fought against inside the arena. Even if I let this aimless anger inside me take control, I would probably die without doing any lasting harm if I tried to fight him.

But feeling this absolute difference in power grew another resolve inside myself. If I want to survive, if I want to return where I came from, I need to get stronger.

While I was lost in thought someone entered the room, making a small cough to get my attention. Looking towards the door I saw Salas, standing beneath the doorway in wait.

“Mr. Meccart has tasked me with guiding you towards your room. If you could follow after me.” Turning around he stepped outside, the sound of his steps immediately stopping as he waited for me to follow behind him. Only when I stepped through the frame did he resume his steps, explaining towards me on the way.

“We have rented a room in a hotel nearby. You can stay there for as long as you like, given that you return form the stages. Your expenses inside will be taken care of by us, including the food. Tomorrow morning a guide will pick you up at the reception, guiding you towards your meeting place with the Miss with whom you will enter the stage at midday.”

We stepped outside the theatre onto a cobblestone road. Lanterns made of a silvery metal rose from the ground, ending in a hexagonal cage of glass, each panel separated with the same metal from before, enclosing a warm, yellow orb that spend light onto the streets.

It didn’t take long till we reached the hotel, a couple of minutes at most. And as we stepped into the reception Salas exchanged a few words with the man sitting behind it, before he turned towards me. “I will leave you in their capable hands. I wish you a good night. If you would excuse me.” Without waiting for an answer, he stepped outside, leaving me alone in there.

The receptionist, however, quickly stepped forward, greeting me with a bow. “Mr. Devil, we have been awaiting your arrival. If you would follow me.”

Taking one flight of stairs after another we reached the fourth floor, where he opened a room for me. Receiving the key from him I stepped inside a lavishly decorated room, more set on impressing the visitor than giving them comfort. Left alone I decided to rest, only for a knock to resound shortly afterwards. But instead of coming from the door leading inside it came from the balcony. Looking towards it I could see a small, hooded figure, waiting for me to open its door.

I guess if he wanted to harm me, he wouldn’t have nocked.

Walking over I opened it, but before I could even ask, he, no, she started to speak.

“Thank you for receiving me.” A young female voice came from beneath the hood. “I’m here to bring a request of Miss Songscale towards you. She would like to meet you,” she stopped for a moment, before speaking a little bit quieter but with disgust resounding in her voice, “without being watched by Safrone.”

Seems like she doesn’t exactly enjoyed his company either.

“May I take you towards her?” She held her hand out towards me.

“Okay.” I reached out to grab her hand, expecting another teleportation spell. As our hands clasped each other however she revealed a pair of feathery wings, previously hidden beneath her cloak. With a single flap she lifted us upwards above the buildings, before she gently flew through the sky, taking me with her.

Drifting over the streets my eyes wandered to the lights shining in the night, coming from the lanterns or shining through windows, some even seemingly floating in the sky, far away from us, glowing too weak to give me a proper view.

But opposed to the warmth they tried to bring blew a cold wind, the air humid, smelling like rain. And in the distance the sky growled, as thunder announced the coming storm.

11