Act 2 – Chapter 23 – The beginning of a new struggle
235 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I pulled myself together we started walking once more. As we continued onwards through the mass here to watch the spectacle we passed by an army of orcs. Even their shortest warrior was a head taller than me, his green skin nearly bursting from the muscles lying beneath, wearing a crude metal armor like the rest of them.

The one who really stood out however was an elderly warrior, his tusk growing pridefully out of his jaw, reaching towards his long white hair, adorned with rings of black metal. The same black metal was used to smith his glaive, a blade long enough to easily bisect even thicker enemies fixed to a long staff that prolonged his reach manifold. His scars told as many stories as the tattoos on his body.

“The orcs are one of the races that step into each tournament.” Narva began to explain. “They think that each of them has to be a warrior, but only after taking part in a war and getting one of these tattoos, that tell of their accomplishments, do they recognize one as such.

When their world was invaded, they decimated a few dozen species before the others collectively struck down on them. But even then it ended in a harrowing battle that decided the ultimate winner of that world, as only a few were left in fighting shape afterwards.

Nowadays they fight until a handful of species are left, after which they kill their own guardian, a position forced onto the weakest of them.” She let out a sad sigh. “What use would a species of warriors have for their own planet after all, when they can be in a never-ending circle of war?”

As we walked past one group after another she continued her explanations about the different species we came across. Ogre, towering above everyone else, capable of crushing anything beneath themselves as their skin deflected attacks from all but the strongest warriors. Fairies, barely as tall as a finger, though radiating with the mana that they kept inside them.

The strangest one however, were the specters, weird shapes of shadows without any coherent form, sucking the life out of whatever came near, coming from a world where life and death itself were ambiguous.

Each species seemingly had their own strength and weakness, but the system allowed them all to overcome theirs, turning the chance for victory into something unpredictable.

But as I began to wonder where we even went Narva left the stream we followed, making her way through the people to guide us towards a place filled with a wild mix of species in front of a giant archway.

“This is one of the places for those without a larger army with them.”

People were banding together, talking to each other as they searched for a group to stay with in hope of surviving the whole ordeal. But as we stepped nearer the tumult quickly slowed down, instead they stared at us. Narva however just ignored the stares we received as she passed by them, sitting down at a stone slab protruding out of the archway.

With nothing better to do I followed after her, leaning my back against the archway as we waited for the tournament to start. As I stood here waiting the place turned completely silent, their eyes staring at me. After a bout of whispers someone stepped forward, maybe through a moment of courage, maybe just forced by those beside him.

“E, excuse me, are you the one they call… devil?” He tried to speak loudly but his voice barely stood out against the clamor surrounding us. Still it was enough to gather the attention of the mass.

He didn’t even need to speak further as I could easily guess what he wanted to say. Looking at him I remembered the words Narva said to me yesterday. While he shouldn’t be someone hired by him giving in would only lead me down the road Safrone planned out.

“Not interested.” I answered harshly.

With a disheartened expression he turned away, stepping back towards his little group. The others still kept glancing over but no one else tried to speak to me once more.

Whispering, Narva spoke out once more. “You could have accepted. There is still the need to pass through the rounds if you want to live afterwards.”

“It’s not like they would be of any help.”

“Don’t try to play someone coldhearted, it doesn’t suit you.” She let out a quiet laughter.

“It will still be better for them to stay away from me.” They could be dead in one moment if I can’t control myself.

“Someone like you is the only hope they have left, if they want to survive against those trying to win the tournament.”

I looked down at the black flames before I closed my eyes. As if I could protect someone like this.

When I said nothing else Narva stayed silent, leaving us to the hustle surrounding us and the patter of rain, weakly falling from the sky.

 

Eventually the crowd fell silent. Opening my eyes, I saw them staring past me, towards the middle of the arena, pushing myself of the stone I looked past the arch, just in time as a loud voice boomed through the arena.

“Welcome, ladies and gentlemen! I, Safrone Meccart, welcome you all towards the first stage of the grand tournament. Today we have a staggering number of over a thousand species waiting for their chance to conquer a world for themselves, show of their skill in battle, fight for their loved ones.”

He stood far above the black pitch, the clouds pulling away as if to showcase him inside the light hidden before.

“And what better stage exists than this one, showcasing the fate of an entire world, their ballads of hopes and dreams, their struggle for survival in the harshest environments? Non! For the greatest stories are those that life tells by itself.

As always, we will hold the start in one of the fallen worlds, lost by those that tried to conquer it, only to fail miserably. There you will receive your task to guide you through the stage. I wonder what we will see. Will it be another round to cull the weak, ending when a few hundred species are left? Will it be a round where everyone shares a common goal, as all of our valiant participants brave the dangers the world has waiting for them?”

Around him splinters appeared, each one showing pictures of a world that once housed the tournament. Ones blackened and scarred, ones shrouded in mists of all kind, ones burning ever since. But all had one thing in common. Those too weak will die within minutes.

“I am exhilarated to see which one they will find themselves in! Let is start the first stage of the grand tournament!”

With his shout a strange energy shot out from him. Like a ripple in a sea it continued unabated in all directions, flowing past the people gathered. As it passed me, I felt it ignoring myself, but the arch next to me reacted immensely, resonating with the energy that continued until it spread over the whole arena.

Slowly the arch began to hum, as particle began to gather inside, forming a swirling mass before it settled down, creating a portal for those who participated.

As armies began to move those around us stood still, knowing that they had to enter, but unwilling to do so. Narva however just lifted herself nonchalantly and turned towards me.

“Shall we?”

7