Act 2 – Chapter 32 – One of a kind
216 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hearing my agreement Charr turned around towards the hole they came from. “It’s safe, you can come out.”

Little by little groups of different species stepped outside, turning into a mass of hundreds of people which marveled at the change in scenery before they noticed us two newcomers and changed towards a murmur filled with weariness. Charr however quickly stepped in to explain the situation.

“While I’m sure that most of you have already heard about him, he’s the so-called devil. He and his companion…” He stared at her, only noticing now that he forgot to ask about her.

Narva however didn’t show any sign that she was affected by it as she stepped forwards, introducing herself with a curtsy. “Narva Songscale, it is a pleasure.”

Hearing her Charr continued. “Miss Songscale will join us throughout this stage.”

Another wave of gossip run through the mass, questions of those that saw me earlier asking why I suddenly joined up till, towards those who were wary of any newcomers, especially those that came without larger groups, until those who were just relieved with the extra pairs of hands.

Quickly however their chatting stopped when Homura stepped forward. “Based on what they have told us these whisp only appear near the mountains and only one for each one. We will look for another one as they seem like our best shot at getting out of here for now.”

When questions rose up once more she tried to answer each to the best of her ability. Charr instead broke of the mass to walk towards us once more. “So, what do you think?”

“About how you called her Miss and introduced me as the so-called? I’m a bit hurt to say the least.” I answered jokingly.

He grinned, showing his pointy fangs. “You lack the manners to be called Mister. You know I didn’t meant that though.”

I looked at her trying to answer each question to the best of her abilities. She gave one the impression of a leader who tried hard to assure their followers, all while guiding them and assuring those that seemingly found a problem.

“You seemed to be right about her being a good leader for you community.” I answered honestly.

“Damn right, wasn’t I? That’s why I can’t let her die here. As long as she makes it to the end, she will create a world for all those who are tired of this nonsense of Aeus.”

Upon his words however I couldn’t help but ask puzzled. “For all?”

“No one ever told you?” He asked bewildered. “As long as you can make it you can invite those standing behind to come with you. But it’s mostly the bigger armies of one species that can make it till the final, as such little coalitions rarely happen and even less of them last till the end.”

When I stared at him speechlessly he continued.

“Sometimes I am really amazed at how little you know about this whole thing. Even general knowledge is new to you.”

Sighing I continued. “You should try to learn about all this while having one week between coming out of a hospital and getting thrown back into the arena.”

“Pass on that.” He laughed.

“See.” I answered exhaustedly, before taking on a serious tone. “Are you really sure about taking us with you?”

“We need the firepower. Literally. Some nearly froze to death the first night.”

Just like I had before he passed me of with a joke, but when I continued to stare at him he continued.

“Your little outburst destroyed a big part of the building, which you still have to pay for, but even then, you showed at least a smidgen of control as none of those around have been burned. The biggest wounds were some bruises on one guy who fell unlucky, but that one was always a clumsy scaredy-cat.”

Hearing that nobody got seriously hurt relieved me.

“As long as you manage to reign yourself in I’m all for it.” Seeing my gaze wandering towards the kitsune he continued. “And don’t worry to much about her. While she may treat you harsh, she knows just as well as me that we need you. Though she’s still quite upset that you beat her in front of everyone else.”

He began to laugh. “And that you made that dryad angry at her.”

“What?”

He continued while grinning. “She came in the next day, when news about the fight spread. Worriedly looking around to find either of you. It was a bit scary to see Homura argue against her at first, only to shrink lower and lower while the dryad stared at her in silence, well, silent for us at least. I swear she’s the only one who can handle her like that. Afterwards she stormed out in search for you, though I guess she didn’t find you.”

“No.”

“Be sure to apologize to her, a man’s got to stand up for his deeds. Never took you for a ladies’ man, but seeing how you already got another beauty with you tells it right away.” He turned away, laughing loudly as he walked over towards Homura.

I shook my head at the leonid. But he’s right, I should apologize for worrying her. Looking away I saw Narva smiling at me, waiting for me to notice her.

“So,” she began, “who’s this dryad?”

“Not you too.” I answered exasperated.

“How could I not ask?”

“She’s just someone I got to know at the hospital. Kindhearted enough to take care of someone with no place to go.”

“Don’t be like that. Love stories exist to be told! And this one isn’t normal at all, it’s between an fire-elemental and a dryad, this is enough to make it into a story prompt for an entire play! I can already see it before me,” she began, twirling around while making different poses matching to each scene she depicted, “the meeting of the two, them falling in love until they clash against the world to be together bringing forth a heartwarming ending!”

Surprised at her sudden change I asked. “What happened to the graceful woman introducing herself earlier?”

“That was that you shouldn’t have flipped my theatric switch. Who could’ve known that someone with such an overused concept of having amnesia only to find love right after waking up would end up with a one of a kind one! Now, tell me all about it.”

“There’s nothing to tell about. Really.”

My honest words however were ignored by her. “Don’t be like that. You’ve got to be more honest, or else your love will end in a tragedy. She will cry above your grave, planting her roots around your body to be with you at last while her body turns into wood. And with each passing wind the sound of a crying woman will be heard from her branches.”

“Just how did you even arrive at end?” I looked at her skeptically. “And don’t kill of the one who’s supposed to protect you.”

She, however, was lost in her imagination. “No, don’t try to bring a third one into it. It ruins the whole setting and just makes it into something mediocre.”

5