Act 2 – Chapter 33 – Accept Invitation?
209 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the end, even after we set off, she didn’t stop contemplating on how the new play should go, even going as far as planning in some of her colleagues as supporting actors. Even telling her all about it, because she wouldn’t take no for an answer, and explaining how there was nothing between us for the third time couldn’t change anything, making me ignore her antics as a last resort.

Looking back, I saw the group of mixed species following behind us, taking their time as to keep a little bit of distance between us. While they were happy to have someone who could protect them, they were still afraid of someone who had so much power. It didn’t help that I left some of them alone in the snowstorm to join up with a whole different, unknown group.

Their gaze changed, however, when they looked at the draconoid by my side, snipping up pieces of her murmur while she gesticulated wildly. A cold beginning. Two united as one. Averting a bad end. While they were at first confused to see her with me, probably thinking that either I was enticed by her beauty, or that she was desperate enough to sell her body, now whispers of a grand tactician milled about.

Eventually, after walking for another few hours, we came close to the nearest storm. Before we entered, we sat down for another period of rest as only those with higher stamina could keep up with us without a problems. Others, like mages or summoners, which distributed most of their points towards psychic attributes, barely had enough to keep walking till here.

How do they even want to survive if a little walk like this makes them this tired already? What are they going to do when they have to run away from something?

But seeing the capabilities displayed by the different classes I couldn’t help but wonder. Given that I have access to the system I should have a class. The ability to use magic circles means I have some kind of mage class, but my physical attributes are too high for it to be completely magic related. I sighed, unable to find an answer. Though, until I found a way to access my status once more finding out what class I have would still be useless.

As I pondered about it Homura and Charr made their way over to us once more. “Hey, Devil!” She called out sharply.

“Yea?”

“We need to think about how we walk around in that storm. Last time I walked in front, guiding the others but that left us open for attacks coming from the side and behind.”

“So, you want me to cover the sides?”

“No, just keep on walking ahead, your flame’s good enough of a guiding beacon, we’ll take care of the rest.” Saying what she wanted she turned around, only to stop shortly afterwards. “And be careful not to flip out once more.”

“Sorry for that, it won’t happen again.”

She took a look back, looking stunned for a moment, before she left us alone to walk back to the group.

“Well,” Char began, pulling the word for a moment, “that could have gone better. Though I suppose it’s enough for now.” He sat down besides me, slamming his paw onto my back. “Homura, me, and a couple of others proficient in fighting should be able to hold our ground against these snow beast coming for us, so it should be enough if you keep those coming from the front at bay.”

“Sure you don’t need more help?”

Showing off his claws he answered. “Don’t underestimate us because we banded together, we even managed to survive without anyone dying till now. On the other hand,” he looked down towards my hands, meat sizzling upon it, “we could need a bit more food, there’s too little monsters here to that leave anything to feed upon. And our provisions are already running after splitting them up for so many people. I know, it’s a lot to ask given that we don’t know whether we can find something in here or not.”

I looked over to our sack of wyvern meat, that didn’t really shrink over the last few mealtimes. It shouldn’t be much of a problem. Still, I shouldn’t just decide this on my own. “What do you think?”

“Let’s give something to them.”

“You heard her.” I said as I held the sack out to him. “Just leave something over for us.”

“Thanks. I will.” Standing up he walked back to the group and shouted, holding the sack up. “I bring a gift from the devil!”

“That’s one way to put it.” I said weakly.

Narva just laughed quietly before saying, “at least that should let them accept them you as part of the group ever so slightly.”

Shortly afterwards, with the group refreshed and well fed, we set into motion once more, walking the last sunny stretch before breezy winds surrounded us once more, hindering the visibility as snow shrouded the air like clouds the sky.

The merriment of the group after the rest soon fell silent, only a few words shouting commands or warnings disturbing the howling. Using all kinds of skills and magic attacking beasts were dispatched, followed by outcries for a user of fire magic to finish them once and for all before the regenerated with the surrounding snow.

In the meantime we kept our position at the top of the group, fending off another group of snow beast that didn’t learn a lesson when the last group of them didn’t come back. At least they gave me the chance to test out a few spells I heard the mages shout out as the could be simply activated with words.

But my excitement at learning new ways to attack soon pummeled as Fireballs were far less effective than the orbs I could split off from my own flames, be it their strength or their numbers, while the Flamestrike magic seemingly activated, only to show no effect at all. The last one, Flame Whip, was the first to show any signs of usefulness, but even then it would just be easier to strike them all at once instead of one at a time.

Soon the fight ended, the remaining beast disappearing into the snow once more. As I couldn’t leave my position at the front, in case some beasts might try to attack again, I sent Narva back to ask them if they knew more spells. A few minutes later she came back, shaking her head.

“Their level is still to low for them to gain higher spells. And as they split the experience over the party interface to ensure that each fighter gets somewhat of a growth they’re just short of their next basic tier.”

“I see, too bad.” I let out a sigh in disappointment.

She however smiled at me as she continued. “That’s why I told them to tell us when they learn something new.”

“Thanks.” I answered before curiosity came over me at the new term. “So this party interface helps them grow all together?”

“Yes, else only the one dealing the finishing blow gets the experience points, which may be fine if they want someone strong, but as they need more hands it’s the best way right now. It’s quite easy to use, though most new species never find out before coming to Aeus. You only need to say ‘invite to group’ and that’s it.”

In return to her words however I stood still, staring at the blue screen.

You have been invited to Narva’s Party!

 

Accept invitation?

 

Announcement
Well, a little bit of bad(?) news. University starts again next week and based on my previous experience I may get flooded with things to do. Such being the case I may not post a chapter every now and then... Still I will try my best to keep my current pace and not drop under a minimum of 3 chapters weekly.

As a side note summertime ends and for those of you that don't have such a thing in your country it means chapters will come an hour later than they did till now.

8