Act 2 – Chapter 42 – A new beginning
190 10 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

No beast stood in my way even though the tried their best to keep us away before. The mountain deserted as if all those living there felt the passing of time, and the coming change. Without the flickering fire, and the slight buzzing of the whisp, only silence would greet me atop this mountain.

Opposed to the one before this one had its stairs running along the outside long before the first one, just barely appearing above the level where the snowstorm raged. And while I wondered if this was planned in any way, it still made me thankful as an orderly path made it much easier to climb upwards, allowing me to reach the top within a short time even after her spell faded.

I hope I’m in time.

I stared at the whisp, that now rested on top of the platform. Just like before, a moment after the whisp took its position, the earth started to tremble. But now, when I wasn’t in danger of falling to death or attacked by wyverns, I had time to observe the changes as I made my way down again.

Quickly the whisps light raised the temperature and with it the turbulent sea of snow down below. The raging waves turned into mellow tides, which didn’t last long, sinking slower and slower, while the last remnants of the wind streamed into one direction. Towards the tower of snow that rose in the distance, the one thing that kept struggling against the warmth inside this world of ice. And after merely half an hour the whisp has changed the view completely. The storm that seemed unchanging from within was gone, leaving a glittering clear landscape beneath.

“You did it.”

A voice came up. Looking down I saw Narva walk up towards me, all alone.

“What about the others?”

“They’re fine. The hid inside the inner structure when we came across the entry.” Her expression however showed a new bitterness.

“Is anything wrong?”

“Well,” she fiddled with her thumbs, “I kind of snapped at them.”

I could only look at her incredulously as I couldn’t imagine what brought her to do so.

“After you stormed off, they didn’t listen to me. Instead they said that you’d left us alone. And when nobody refuted that…”

I only looked at her, unsure what to say.

“Even after all you did to protect them, they treated you like that.” She looked away, biting down at her lips. “Though I’m not better, as I also doubted you when I saw these black flames. Even if it was only a moment, it still happened.”

I closed my eyes, as I tried to think about what happened. It wasn’t exactly hidden that I didn’t gain the trust of the group. At least not in full. Instead they only followed after me in fear for their own life. As they wouldn’t survive on their own.

“I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t be.”

“But I…!”

Opening my eyes once more I looked at her. “You came after me, didn’t you? And from what I’ve heard you even got angry for my sake. I should thank you instead.”

“No!”

“Really. Thank you for standing with me. You are the only one I can rely on in here.”

“That…!” She stopped herself. Then, with newfound courage she continued. “Leave it to me! I’ll stand with you against all odds.” As her troubles faded a smile found its way on her face once more.

“Is it too late for us to reconcile?” A weak voice resounded.

Looking past Narva I saw Homura walk up towards us, clinging onto the mountain wall to keep herself afoot. Behind her, her entourage followed, making visible motions to step towards her, help her stand, only to back away when she looked at them.

“You need to rest.” Anyone could see that she could barely keep herself from falling down.

“Don’t underestimate us kitsune. This is nothing. Besides, if I don’t do this right now, I fear it will be too late.”

She continued onward till she stopped in front of me, facing me resolutely.

“We didn’t trust you. Even after you joined us, we relied on your power without trying to change how we felt, as we only saw what we wanted to see. One who burns down whatever stood in his way. And in our fear we failed to see you for who you are. For that I need to apologize.

But after those words you said following our last battle I noticed. You’re not someone who hurts those that stand with him. You protected us, even when we dragged you down. For that I must thank you.”

“There were still those that died while you were unconscious.”

“Yeah,” her voice turned somber, “but without you we would have been dead altogether. And I would be happy to count one who tries his best to protect his comrades to mine. May I ask you,” she stretched her hand towards me, “to stay with us? This time, I swear, we will treat you better.”

I looked down at her hand, stunned at her sudden change in attitude. Before I had an answer however, Narva stepped next to me, smiling gently as she nodded. She already knew what I wanted to ask her, even without me needing to do so.

“Okay.” I grabbed her hand in return.

As relief took over and all tension left her body, her legs gave out. I could barely catch her, stopping her from falling completely. And without her looking up, I could hear her voice once more before she passed out again.

“Thank you.”

 

Hello readers,

I am sorry for missing yesterday. Even though I have this arc mostly planned out it didn't stop me from having trouble writing this chapter. Somehow it just didn't felt right, and I didn't want to post something worse than my bottom passing line. Even now its far less than normal, but I didn't want to post nothing today too, so have at least this.

I will try my best to up the quality and quantity once more, maybe even revise it in the next days!

7