Act 2 – Chapter 43 – Small steps
161 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even against my fire her body felt like it burned up. This woman… I sighed. She should’ve just stayed back and rest. Her condition worsened even more in the little time I spent away and even then the first thing she did after waking up was come here.

I shook my head left and right in face of this stupidity, as she didn’t seem to care about her own body breaking down. But at the same time, she also impressed me, as she did everything she thought was necessary. All in care of those she saw as her comrades.

Once more I lifted her up, carrying her down. After a few steps however a familiar voice stopped me.

“Agni. I…” Char began, only to fell silent once more quickly.

“Let’s get inside the mountain first. We need to get her out of the cold.”

Even with the whisp’s light turning this place warmer and suppressing the storm it was still far from inhabitable. I made my way through the people that followed her upwards. Afterwards, little by little, footsteps echoed behind me, as one after another followed behind me. But apart from these steps only silence accompanied us as we made our way down the stairs.

As we reached the end of the outer stairs, we stepped into the tunnel leading inside. Just like the others before an enormous hollow filled the inside of this one, along with structures of the previous reigning civilization. But the lack of any protective measures let time whittle them down just like everything else.

And as my eyes wandered across the place they also came across those that stayed here when Homura choose to come after me. Those who couldn’t continue any further, their last reserves long spent. And those who stayed to protect them, as no one knew where the next beast could be lurking.

And just like those that walked up with her, when their gazes met mine, they fell silent, a myriad of emotions visible on their faces. Hope. Fear. Gratitude. Remorse. Each one struggled in his own way, as they faced their own emotions. And just like them, each time I saw the way someone look at me, each gaze a little different, I felt my own emotions swell up inside me.

Opposed to what Homura might have said, they were still like before. Unable to accept me as one of their own. I was different from them, too different. But that didn’t mean that she lied to me. Through the things I heard about her, the little time I spent with her, I was sure of that. If she ever recognized someone as her comrade, as a friend, she would stay so against all odds. Even if it meant having to change the minds of all around her.

I looked down to the woman in my arms. Having spent all her strength once more the fever took over, her faces twisting from the pain that came with it. Instead of the leader that defended her people against all odds, I could only see her as a weakened young woman, that had to grow into an adult much to fast as she started to fill a position that no one else could at that time.

And also the second person to fully place her trust into me. And for this trust I had to answer in kind. If she believes that things will change, I am willing to trust her on it.

Fool. I smiled at her. You better rest for now.

“Excuse me.”

An elderly voice rang out besides me. Turning towards it I saw an old woman, holding an overcoat out to me.

“Please, use this to lay her upon. While it may not be much, it’s at least better than the hard stone floor.” Her voice was full of care, disregarding any emotion she may have felt towards me as she only sought to help Homura.

“Thank you.”

“Come.” She ushered me for a few steps, until she stopped besides a spot where the light shined down from above, placing the mantle on it. “Lay her down here, this place is warmer than the rest. That girl will need what little warmth she can get after running out into that cold once more.”

Gently I laid her down carefully. But as I raised my eyes again, I saw that the woman started to shiver more and more. When she noticed my gaze however, she just smiled at me. “My bones have been rattling for some time, a little more won’t make any difference. Besides if it weren’t for her I wouldn’t be here anymore.”

I didn’t say anything, only calling upon a flaming orb to raise the temperature around us.

“Thank you.” Just like my flames, her words brought forth a warmth, though one of a different kind.

“Not a problem.”

At my words she began to laugh. “Who would have thought that you are like her?”

“No. She is a shining light for those around her. Whereas I’m…”

“Just as kind as her.” She interrupted me before I could continue. “These eyes of mine have seen enough lives passing by. And if I learned one thing than it is to judge the character of someone else.” With eyes full of kindness she continued. “You will help anyone that you care about. And the others will soon see it for themselves.”

“She’s right.” Narva chimed in from aside. As I looked at her I saw her standing with a blanket in her hands. Kneeling besides us she laid it above Homura before she sat down completely. “And anyone who doesn’t will have to go through me first.”

 


 

I stared upon the one that took care of me ever since I lost my parents inside the storm. The one who told me that he would look out for me while they were away.

“Chaa.”

I tugged at his clothes, at which he looked at me, his eyes clouded over. And in the way he showed me a sad smile, I felt the same emotions I had when I got separated from them. Only that I didn’t knew where they were now.

“Why don’t you go over there?”

“If it were only that easy.”

What do you mean? She’s just over there!

I couldn’t understand him.

It’s always like the adults said. ‘You’re too young to understand yet.’ At least for them. It’s them that don’t understand!

I clenched my fists as I made a decision.

He can’t stay like this!

Before he could stop me I rushed forward.

7