Act 2- Chapter 46 – Scales and wind
139 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It all went fine. We got back to the mountain without even a sighting of another monster, all while the sun still shined. And while the whisp warmed the region enough for the snow to start melting the corpse of the wyvern was still fresh, cooled down by the remaining ice energy it held inside. And while the others were wary at first when I stepped near and cut into its flesh, they quickly came nearer to help me.

This will feed us for a long time.

This thought crossed my mind, and certainly those of others too. But as we nearly dissected all of the body, I noticed a change in the wind surround us. And afterwards a shadow covered us for a mere moment. But that moment was enough.

“Get down!” Screaming so I faced upwards, stretching my hand towards the sky as I formed my spell. The light blinded my eyes, but I could still see the thing that creeped upon us, though only barely. “[Windblade]!”

I knew my spell wouldn’t do much harm if it was what I believed it is. But it would certainly stop it from advancing, even if only for a moment. Opposed to facing my attack head on however it diverted sideway, making the spell pass its body. Yet in return its movement made it divert from its original path.

Air rushed past us as the beast flapped its wings, stirring the remaining snow up, even managing to make some of the weaker ones tumble across the ground through the sheer pressure released from its bypass.

And as it took its distance once more, I saw what I expected. A beast similar to the one we just cut apart, only that this one was moving and angry. Its white scales shimmered in the light, like a cloud in the sky, but its gaze brought terror to those it glanced at.

“It’s another wyvern!”

“It must be here because we touched that corpse!”

“Seek shelter!”

Panicked shouts rang out from the non-combatants as they were only her to help carry as much as we could.

“Stand your ground, warriors get into defensive positions!  Attackers prepare yourself!”

The fighter however quickly tried to establish their ranks, the last few days of fighting hardening those that survived. As I tried to step towards them however someone stopped me.

“Do something! You and that devil slayed the other one, didn’t you!?”

I glanced down at the man that collapsed onto the ground, both hands clenched tightly around the rim of my dress. “I’m trying to! Let me go!” I swung my hand down, making him release me, but as I looked towards the fighter once more I already saw the wyvern before them once more, the short moment being all it needed to sweep around once more.

It crashed down in front of them, swinging its icicle laden tail at them. A few warriors opposed it, pushing their shields against the incoming strike, but when the tail made contact it simply crashed through their defense flinging them overhead the attackers standing behind them.

“Dammit! Close ranks!”

The few tanks still around tried to close the opened gap, but before they had time to do so the wyverns mouth opened, the glistening sparkle a presage to what was coming next. I tried to finish my next spell but before I could do so it released its icy breath.

Not even a second later a wind shield appeared in front of them, holding the full force of the attack away from them, but the bit that I couldn’t stop in time was enough to bring their preparations to a halt, even taken a few of them completely out of the fight as their limbs began to freeze over.

“Damn.” I rushed forward, creating another Windblade to stop the wyvern from another follow up attack. Opposed to the first it struck at its body, cleaving into the scales, and leaving a slightly but nonetheless bleeding wound.

It cried out in pain as its eyes wafted towards me. I, however, only stared at the wound in confusion as I remembered my attacks on the last wyvern to be completely ineffective. I smirked as I prepared the next spell.

This should be doable.

The wyvern stormed forward, ignoring the others that stood beside it to launch itself on me. But when I released another Windblade it jumped sideways, interrupting its attack to avoid mine.

“Help her! Stop it from getting closer!”

When they saw the wyvern closing in on me the warriors started to move once more, raising their weapons into the air. But their shout only alarmed it, making it swing its tail towards them. While it wasn’t enough to hit them, as they were still far away, the fate of those hit by it made them stop in their tracks.

Yet for the mages and other ranged attacker this sudden stillstand from it allowed them to aim their attack. Fireballs intermingled with other strikes, clashing into its body in a stunning show of light and sound. But as their effects faded the wyvern stood there, its body unharmed besides the wound I inflicted.

It flashed its teeth into a malicious grin, noticing that apart from me the group could do little to harm it. And with renewed vigor it continued to pounce towards me. I released another spell as I started to move.

And just like I had seen it from Agni for so many times, when these beasts were out to finish you, they ignored anything else. Jumping sideways its claw stepped into my earlier position just a second afterwards. And even before it swept the claw towards me again, I finished the next spell.

The claw just began moving as I jumped back once more, a blast of wind pushing me even further than what my strength would have normally allowed. Landing once more my legs skidded over the stone, until I forced myself to a stop through stabbing my claw into the ground.

Looking forward I saw the wyvern again, sweeping its tail left and right as it continued to stop the others from attacking it. It eyes however were fixed into a glare, staring right down at me in annoyance.  Fixing my stance, I rushed towards the wyvern while preparing the next spell. In return it also started to rush towards me, staking a big leap as it pulled its claws back.

Pushing my feet against the ground I leapt aside, activating the spell as I saw the other claw closing in. “[Wind’s Blessing].” I could already feel the coldness radiating from the claw as the winds picked up around me, forming a mantle that pushed my movement even further.

With it I landed a few feet farther than I originally should have, making the claw stab into the ground once more. And as the wyvern struggled to free itself once more, I pushed myself forward. With the help of my spell I shot past the side of the wyvern, releasing one spell after another to cut into it.

“Watch out!”

A shout made me look around, just in time to notice the tail I forgot about as I tried to whittle its strength down. It swung around, directly into the direction I dashed into. And while my spell may have allowed me to overtake the beast in speed it now hindered me from simply changing my direction.

Without another choice left I let my leg collapse beneath me, falling towards the ground. I could feel the stone scraping against them, splinters tearing into my own scales as I looked at the tail passing by within an inch.

I clawed into the ground once more, turning my body and forcing it into a standing position once more, only to lose my balance as one leg gave out completely.

It hurts!

I bit my teeth together as I looked at my leg. And while it already hurt like hell it looked even worse, as the scales were mostly torn off, taken some of the underlying flesh with it. Quickly, however, my attention was stirred by something else as the wyvern let out a malicious roar.

Just like before ice crystals shimmered in front of its mouth as it prepared its breath attack once more. Left with one choice I prepared myself for the incoming attack, as my thoughts wandered to a story I only heard of. And just as it released the breath once more, I pushed myself forward, the scales on my arm shivering alongside my own original spell.

“[Scaled Winds].”

7