Act 2 – Chapter 51 – Stonecold
133 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before I knew what was happening, everything broke down around me. Walls that I’ve seen in the past, seemingly unbreakable at that time, crumbled down like nothing as ice-like scales crushed through them. Trying to keep my bearing I was unfocused for a moment, but that moment was enough for it to come near. And next I only saw its gaping maw, fangs ready to tear me apart. I raised my hands in defense, a circle flickering up in defense, but I already knew.

It was too late.

Even if I could finish the spell on time, it would have far too little power to keep the wyvern away. I closed my eyes, reluctant to face my end here, when only days prior I found my will to live again. Instead of these cold teeth however, a voice reached me.

“What are you doing in these halls?”

Time seemed to stand still with his words as the teeth that came for me where still absent. Or were they fast enough that I didn’t even notice my end?

Fearfully I opened my eyes again, facing a sparkling darkness previously absent.

It seems only darkness awaits those that died…

Opposed to my thoughts however the dark mass shifted, if only slightly, and the voice resonated once more.

“I will only ask you one more time. What are you doing in these halls?”

It showed no smidgen of emotion, but the air seemed to resonate along with the voice. The pressure alone made me step back, and only now I noticed that it wasn’t darkness before me, but a creature. Past it I could see the wyvern, struggling to free itself as it was held in place by a single claw gripping its head. The wyvern screamed out in anger at its inability to free itself before it swung its tail around.

The creature only stood still, its grip as steady as ever when the tail crashed towards it. In return it only lifted its other claw, holding it out into the way of the tail. A crack resounded inside the ruined hall, but instead of being thrown away it stood still, gazing at the tail of the wyvern, its claw piercing into the icy stakes growing from it. With a slight move of his fingers the ice began to splinter, releasing even more cracks and a pained cry from the wyvern.

“I saw your kind at the murals. Even though you share the scales you are nothing but a lowly beast, even daring to destroy these halls. Such actions are,” its tail swung around, piercing into the neck of the wyvern. Its struggle turned into a mere twitching before the tail ripped its way out once more, flicking the blood off in one motion, “unacceptable.”

Releasing its grip, it turned around, giving me a clear view onto it as the wyvern collapsed behind it. The creature was tall, at least twelve-foot-high, with scales made from obsidian, surrounded by a dark but glistening metal. Its body was shaped like a draconoid, but instead of flesh and muscles it was a giant sculpture. And as my gaze wandered to its chiseled face, I saw somebody I thought I would never see again.

How could he be?

Before I could even think about it however his voice resounded once again.

“Scaled one, are you capable of reasoning?”

His gaze bore down at me, searching for what my voice couldn’t project as I stood still. Fear overcame me, keeping me from moving, as I knew instinctively that even if we all fought together against it, we wouldn’t even be able to damage it.

A feeling only one other person ever gave me. The person that caged me for ever since I meet him once.

“Scaled one…” He began to speak once more, his voice as cold as in the beginning.

“Yes,” I nearly screamed, as ingrained reflexes took over, “I am!” A shiver ran down my body, rattling my scales as I bowed towards it.

Its gem-like eyes continued to press down on me. “Raise your head. One wearing scales does not bow to anyone.” Saying this it turned away, step for step echoing within the halls as it walked towards the others.

 


 

The sudden appearance of the new creature made everything stop, its voice freezing the entire fight. The wyvern which each of us struggled against alone was like a helpless child within its arm. And its strike which would have left any of us incapacitated with a direct hit was easily blocked without him even flinching in the process. In return it ended the wyvern’s life with one strike.

When it turned towards Narva I wanted to rush towards her, but my feet were stuck to the ground, refusing to obey my orders. But it just asked her a single question. Receiving its answer, it turned away, making its way over towards us.

With each step I could feel my black flames pulsating, as they accumulated more and more strength. At the same time however I could feel them pushing me into running away as fast as I could. But how could I even think of running when he appeared before us in the blink of an eye. And just like Narva, I could only stand still as its eyes focused on me.

His gaze held on, as he mustered me without words, before he changed his target, looking toward my whitened arm. “Your power. It feels familiar, though different. Awoken one, are you capable of reasoning?”

“Yes.” My voice sounded grim, not capable of hiding my emotions, but it was enough for the creature, as it turned onwards.

When it stopped it in front of Homura however it crooked his head. “Scaleless. Unfamiliar. Not even one of the thousands depicted in the mural.” He stopped, ruminating over its own words, before its voice resounded again. “Enemy?”

He stretched his hand towards her. Panic was visible on her face as she moved to step back. I raised my hand, preparing to release the amassed firepower as Narva shouted out.

“Noooo!”

At her words, the creature stopped, twisting its head to look towards her, its eyes a glowing red within a bluish purple. Then it turned its gaze towards Homura again.

“Unknown one, are you capable of reasoning?”

She kept her stance, ready to fight back at any movement. Only her head moved slightly to nod at the creature.

At her movement it pulled its hand back, keeping its gaze at her for a moment longer before it continued onwards. Stepping towards the wyvern however it was greeted with a breath of ice swallowing it entirely. But still, even with his whole body covered, and the gushing from the wyvern attack, its steps resounded through the hall.

Then, without any prior sign, the breath stopped, freeing the view. The wyvern collapsed, as its neck pierced through just like the other.

“Just another beast.”

5