Act 2 – Chapter 53 – The life of someone else
150 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If it weren’t for the light coming from my flames, we would be stumbling through this corridor, let alone move as smoothly as it did. Even when I spread them around it just continued onwards, not even caring about them as they wouldn’t be enough to hurt it.

In the flickering light we passed by murals of all kind, each depicting different draconoids. I could see Narva’s gaze linger on each for a moment, a myriad of emotions on her face, only for us to continue down the corridor without her saying anything.

Passing passages that led towards other rooms we followed the statue as it continued straight onwards, until eventually we reached a set of doors at the far end of the temple. Just like before the doors swung open silently, revealing a spacious hall.

As we stepped inside, I couldn’t help but marvel at it. Just like before it was full of carved murals, only that these all depicted the same draconoid, showing all stages of his life. But as my gaze passed over them it eventually landed at the other end of the hall, where another door stood tall. On it was the same one that now stood before us, fully grown up, fighting in his last moments.

Just what is strong enough to kill something like it? Even with the system helping I couldn’t see someone become so strong without having to fight for his whole life.

“It’s different.” Her words were a mere whisper, a mutter she herself was unaware of as she lost herself to her thoughts. But with the surrounding silence it was just like a loud shout. Hearing them the statue shot around.

“What is, scaled one?” Its gaze was fixed at her, compelling her to answer.

“The,” she muttered, taking a moment to fix her act once more. “This whole room, Mr. Navrass. Opposed to the rest of the temple it should have been empty, serving as a place where those could pray that weren’t allowed to continue onwards.”

“It has been this way since centuries.”

“Centuries?” Her voice shook in disbelieve, but that didn’t hinder it from continuing.

“Now, scaled one, you said you know about me. Tell me what you know.”

 


 

I hesitated for a moment, before I began.

“Born as part of the lower caste you grow up in poverty, without something to claim for yourself. And if it weren’t for the fall of our world it may have stayed that way.”

Little by little I walked past the murals, my words telling the stories they held.

“Only when the invasion began came the time of your uprising. One by one, stories of brave warriors began to appear, as we all strove to defend our world. But when our attackers noticed that they couldn’t take us down alone, that their numbers began to dwindle, they collided together.

At first we could hold them back, but eventually we were forced back, as one brave soul after another became one with the earth once more. All until nothing more than these temple grounds remained.

The one that persisted till the end, the guardian of the Navrass volcano, was one of the lowest of ours. But one by one people started to call you the one blessed by the earth’s will itself. As such the name of our sanctuary became yours to hold and you became Ozron Navrass.

But whatever hope our people held, there was only so much a lone fighter could do. There were none left that could stand next to you. And even with the power to flip entire mountains you could only hold out for so long against the never-ending hordes they sent against us.”

Nearing the end, I stood in front of the other door.

“After fighting for a whole month your body couldn’t hold on any longer. When your limbs refused to move, they only came onto you with even more vigor. Using the earth in place of your limbs you continued to fight, but even then, it only lasted for so long. And at the end of your strength a final attack struck you, a pillar of light that only left scorched earth behind.

With you we lost our last defender, at which point those that were left of us, had to leave this place for a new one. Though a few choose to stay, mostly priests and such, which would rather return to the earth instead of leaving. For what happened afterwards, why these halls still stand, I don’t know.”

My mind was filled with questions ever since we arrived here. Questions on which I would never receive an answer. Hearing no answer however I slowly began to panic, worried that my words may have enraged him. Each passing moment only made it worser than before, until he finally raised his voice again.

“Is that so.”

This was all I got from him, after telling about the demise of the species that he belonged to, even if only based on his appearance. Even his voice remained still, just like stone, unwavering, uncaring. A mere little three words before he continued onwards. And as I face him once more however one thing was sure.

Whatever he is, even though he may think so, there’s no way that he is the same one I saw two decades ago.

“Now, scaled one, you said that your group needed to head further inside. I guess you must be talking about this place.” He raised his hands to point at the door in my back.

He was right. Whatever happened in this world, it was still the one I grew up in. And behind that door should be the one thing that could possibly end this whole stage.

“Yes, Mr. Navrass.”

“Didn’t you just say that this was a place forbidden to most?”

“Yes, but we still need to continue onwards.”

I felt a cold shiver running down my back, but I could only plead to him like this. If he decided to stop us, we had no way to continue onwards. But trying to lie in order to get inside would possibly end in our death, if he knows more than he seemingly shows.

After what seemed like an eternity he answered. “It is not my place to step inside,” he paused, looking over us, “but that doesn’t mean I have to stop you.”

Quickly I moved to bow towards him, before I remembered the words he said at the beginning, forcing my body to a stop before the ingrained movement broke free. “Thank you, Mr. Navrass.” Gesturing towards the other two I made them step over. “If you would excuse us.”

 


 

She did it!

Relief came over me as she managed to get us through the temple. Stepping towards the door we pressed against it, but even with us two pushing against it, it didn’t move. Yet, with a single flick of its hand the door swung open easily, making us stumble inside.

Stale, cold air, coming from inside, greeted us. But even this air felt better than the temple behind us. Turning back, I could see Narva walking towards us before a voice stopped her.

“Not you, scaled one.”

I could see her expression freeze over, before she forced a smile on her face, turning towards the statue once more.

“You will stay here and tell me more about my kind.”

Its tone showed no sign of accepting anything else. Thinking that it had to come to this at some point I readied myself for a fight once again, only to be stopped when Narva raised her hands towards us.

“Of course, Mr. Navrass.”

“What? I won’t let you…”

Turning around she spoke again. “I’ll trust you two to finish this.” Her voice was full of confidence, unwavering in her trust towards the two of us. “We’ll see each other again when this is over.”

Before we could say anything else the door closed again, leaving us alone in the corridor.

“Fuck!”

6