Chapter 8 : I don’t want to meet this Prince!
57 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

**Chapter 8 : I don't want to meet this Prince!**

When I was 7 years old, me and my Mom used to live in Islamorada, a beach town in the state of Florida where chilling on the beach is a favorite pastime. When you got tired of sunbathing, you could try snorkelling or diving around its impressive coral reefs, that's the thing this town's known for.

Just like any other kids, I used to play a lot. But as a resident of that coastal area, we know that there is one tree that we should always avoid- The manchineel. It grows up to 15 metres (49 ft) tall. It has reddish-greyish bark, small greenish-yellow flowers, and shiny green leaves. The leaves are simple, alternate, very finely serrated or toothed.

What's dangerous about this tree? All parts of that tree is poisonous. This is not an exaggeration. A Spanish explorer  Juan Ponce de Leon, was  struck by an arrow that had been poisoned with manchineel sap. The elders always remind us to stay away from the tree when we play outside so there's no way that I will not recognize this tree. It became a part of my childhood. 

When rain started to pour, I ran as fast as I could. Even though I don't know this man, I think I should save his life because my conscience will haunt me about ignoring him though I could do anything. Good thing that I snatched him away from getting closer to that tree.

"Sir, Don't you know that tree is dangerous!  of the tree are highly poisonous! When you stand near it when it is raining, you'll have burn-like blisters. And if you are lucky, when the sap gets  into your eyes, you'll experience temperary blindness. You even thought of sheltering under that tree don't ever  go near that tree again, Please!"

I told him those things while dragging him away from that killer tree by holding his hand. When I'm sure that we are really far from it, I let go of his hand and faced him.

The coldness that I felt from the rain intensified when I realized who he was. I stood there, as if my limbs became numb. In all of the people in the Earth, why him?

He  has tall stature, tousled chestnut hair, eyes like pools of iridescent blue. I admit, he has good features but his face was stern that gives off a dark aura around him.

Henry Rosenkrantz. Veluven's 2nd Prince, the greatest swordmaster in the Empire gaining the nickname "Grim Reaper", the one who'll kill Valeria in the future. In the last chapters of the novel, Henry started a coup d'etat. The reason?  Zion became a shitty emperor. In the battle between the two brothers, Henry accidentally killed Valeria because she sacrificed herself for Zion. Seeing the dead body of her best friend, Cassiopeia stabbed Henry's chest with poisoned dagger that lead to his death. After the coup d'etat, Zion changed for the betterment of the Empire. End of the story.

" Thanks but, you'll get sick if we we will not move. Follow me. I know the way out"

He started to walked in the direction of the arched alleyway while I remained in the same position, watching his back as he gracefully walks. When he checked if I am with him, he looked like a mother who noticed that her child is missing. This time, he ran, held my right hand and pulled me closer to him. Man, this is déjà vu.

"Do you want Ecs to eat you up?"  He asked

I shook my head as answer

"Good"

I never dared to start a conversation again. I screwed up this time. I anticipated this however, I was thinking that we will meet in a "usual way" like meeting on a banquet where I could easily escape.

The next thing that I know is we're now in front of his carriage

"Your Highness, I told you..."  the owner of the voice is in his thirties wearing a black vest and tie. He is also holding an umbrella. He greeted us but then his gaze fixated on our hands.

Gosh! This scene is so embrassing!

"Excuse Me Your Highness, if you'll continue to hold Milady's hand I can't escort her inside. .."

I was surprised when he is the one who escorted me inside the carriage. I immediately sat inside because I have a feeling that he will chop my head off if I moved slowly. Fortunately, there are towels inside so I cautiously dried myself because his eyes were as immobile as the rest of his face which reminded me of predators in the wild waiting for the opportunity to attack their preys.

I felt relieved when we stopped at a  boutique. When we entered the store, they gave him an enthusiastic greeting. He told the manager to bring out ready to wear clothing in our sizes. She commanded the other employees to get my measurements while she rushed upstairs. I guess the second Prince is  one of the regulars of this place because he even addressed the store manager in her first name. The employees led us to the second floor where rows of clothing from dresses to trousers and tunics awaits us.

"I'll get that set" he pointed at the mannequins located in the 5th row of the displays.

I thought that men in the 20th century and the ancient times are different but I guess they both belong to the same specie. Why did I say so? They hate shopping!

I pointed at the purple dress at the leftmost side. I don't want to piss him off.

"That's all? If you want more dresses, just tell them. Don't worry I will buy it for you" he confidently said

I know that you're rich and you could even buy this store if you want, I just don't want to be with you. Please, leave me alone!

"One is enough your Highness. I  don't know why your Highness is giving me such a wonderful gift"

Let's pretend that I'm feel so grateful receiving this dress"

"It's my gift for saving my life"

"I am sure that everyone will do the same deed if they were in my position"

He became quiet after hearing what I said. Did I say something wrong?

The employees asked us to try the clothes. I'm happy that it fits perfectly in Valeria's body. At last, I could go home now! After the fitting session, the second Prince immediately paid for the dresses that we bought but when I thought that it will be a fast transaction, the owner of the boutique suddenly came and talked to him. I'm getting bored so I just looked at the glass shelves beside the cushioned seats of the shop. They sell ornaments, jewelries and antique items too. On the second glass shelf, I found a simple butterfly harpin. The wings was studded with purple crystals. It is simple but I think it looks elegant on someone's hair.

"Do you want to buy that?"

" Ay pusa! [ A Cat!] " words that I shouted when I leaped out of surprise. Why does he like to make my heart beats faster than usual? Is it his talent or what?!

"What?!" He said with a puzzled look on his face

I accidentally blurted out Tagalog words. I should be careful next time.

" What I mean is. I don't want to buy that hairpin, Your Highness. I just find it interesting " I answered with a fake smile on my face.

He called the owner to get the clip from the cabinet. His next actions gave me a heart attack. He tucked strands of my hair to my left ear and put on the clip a little higher than my earlobe.

"It suits you"  then he looked away from me

What the fuck is he doing? He is only showing this kind demeanor in front of Cassiopeia. No. One. Else! Remember, he is a "Grim Reaper". Is this his way of luring out his prey?

1